• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 13th of October 2020

Hello and Welcome to another development diary for Europa Universalis IV. Sadly Groogy is sick so we have to shuffle around our planning a bit and give you something that was not originally planned for today.

Today we’ll talk a little bit about what we are doing with Diplomacy for the expansion that is accompanying the 1.31 patch, as it's one of the major areas of it.

First of all, the concept of favors, which was introduced in The Cossacks, is now also unlocked by this expansion, as it will become far more used than just using it to get your allies to join you in offensive wars. More on that in later development diaries.

Secondly, we also changed how the favors were calculated, so instead of having a chance of getting a favor once a year, you now get favors overtime, depending on the same factors as impacted the chance of getting a favor before, ie the relative military power.

Finally, this new expansion will see a new diplomatic action called “Curry Favors”. This requires an active diplomat, and will slowly increase the amount of favors you have with them, depending on your diplomatic reputation and the target's opinion of you.

eu4_13.png

You will slowly lose favors over time with nations that are not your allies, nor you attempting to curry favors with.

As this was a rather short development diary, I’m adding a screenshot showing one of the events you can get if you have the horde ideagroup set.

eu4_14.png

Hopefully Groogy is back next week to write his development diary on Hedgehogs!

• 91Like
  • 20Love
Reactions:
Short, but interesting update. Hopefully this will make Favors more widely used, as I found that I personally never used them that much.
Also, I hope Groogy gets well soon.

it will not be free.
Thanks for Info :)

Damn Starcraft 2 went FTP? I hope they will refund me for the game I bought several years prior
Weak joke, maybe bait or trolling, but not based on reality...

In old times we had paid mechanism "pause of westernization" (DD - https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/eu4-development-diary-23rd-april-2015.852567/ ). But with mechanism of "institutions" mechanism of "westernization" was lost and also paid mechanism "pause of westernization". What did Paradox do at this point? Owners of "Common Sense" they received as compensation options "institution boost by dev boost" (DD - https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/eu4-development-diary-22nd-of-september-2016.970333/ ).

Why in this old times you don't made similar jokes? Why didn't you laugh at Paradox for being wrong? Can you interpret reality seriously or are you joking is only mask to hiding lack of knowledge about history developing of this game?

And this isn't only one example, when Pdx give alternative mechanics to the old DLC as compensation. Eg. mechanism for "Cossacks Nations" and few estates is still locked, when player haven't DLC "Cossacks", when Estates became as free mechanism. And this was good. Do you think, that this way of Paradox was wrong, and they shouldn't give anything in this place? Do you can give any valuable answer or only weak jokes?

Now I have hope, that you give any form of "I'm sorry". Because you move was unfair and socially harmful...

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Honestly, I’d rather see favors have to be earned.

Curry favors sounds like improving relations. You aren’t expanding diplomacy, you are making parallel systems.

How about a diplomatic option to join a war in order to curry favor? Or giving financial support? Or gifting ships?

I’d rather see actual diplomatic options that require demonstrable effort/action than an over time gain or an improve relations alternative.

• 5Like
Reactions:
I am really curious about what names could take both the free patch and the DLC since the scope looks to be a little bit of everything everywhere, without a real common theme (by the way, I can't wait to see the new loading screens, I love them so much!).

- South-East Asia (map, mission trees, events)
- North-Eastern America (map, game mechanics)
- Naval (balance, game mechanics)
- Diplomacy "one of the major areas of it" but nothing more than favors actually.
- next: Persia / Middle-East???

Where are we going exactly? What binds it all together?
I have the impression that all this is widening more and more, it could take time before a release. Any 1.30.5 new hotfix planned right before?

IMO at this point the devs are just wrapping up eu4, getting all the features they want in the game and adjusting to their new offices/training new recruits, before they begin on eu5, which is why they're working on so many under-developed regions such as SEA and the new world. This would also be why they created the survey (I've heard/read that they did the same before ck3 or something).

though perhaps this is just wistful thinking on my part since I dislike many of the core mechanics (primarily mana points, development and they way they interact), and a new Europa Universalis game would be when they'd change things like that.

• 1Like
Reactions:
IMO at this point the devs are just wrapping up eu4, getting all the features they want in the game and adjusting to their new offices/training new recruits, before they begin on eu5, which is why they're working on so many under-developed regions such as SEA and the new world. This would also be why they created the survey (I've heard/read that they did the same before ck3 or something).

though perhaps this is just wistful thinking on my part since I dislike many of the core mechanics (primarily mana points, development and they way they interact), and a new Europa Universalis game would be when they'd change things like that.
I wish they did the CK2 thing and ended EU4 on a rather good note but instead our Holy Fury was a Sunset Invasion.

Reactions:
Wouldn't currying favors with an opm as an empire or even a hegemony be weird? Maybe there should be a prestige hit penalty when you do something like that. A prestige hit when you currying favors with a country that lower rank than you.

• 2Like
Reactions:
0.03 favors monthly , that means you'll have to wait 28 years to get 10 to be able to get a call for war? i hope you can get better numbers or it'll be quite useless...

• 1Like
Reactions:
On the matter of potential religion changes hinted at by the Hedgehog thing, can we please have Apostolic Christianity split off from Coptic, or at least find a name that neutrally applies to both? As a student of Eastern Christianity, it's very bizzare they have been joined like this.

Reactions:
Any schedule to rework the rival mechanic, it is the thing greatly important for EU4 diplomacy?

The rival mechanic really bugs me.

I wish rivals were not so rigid.

You should be able to end them diplomatically (by offering cash, support in wars, provinces).

Countries will often not join in wars, despite promise of land they have claims on, just because they aren't rivalled to the opponent.

They are at times, totally random. What reason the Mamluks have for rivalling England in 1460 is beyond me, given neither nations are within coring range or have any opposing interests at the time.

Paradox could make rivalries a lot more complex and dynamic imo.

Reactions:
The rival mechanic really bugs me.

I wish rivals were not so rigid.

You should be able to end them diplomatically (by offering cash, support in wars, provinces).

Countries will often not join in wars, despite promise of land they have claims on, just because they aren't rivalled to the opponent.

They are at times, totally random. What reason the Mamluks have for rivalling England in 1460 is beyond me, given neither nations are within coring range or have any opposing interests at the time.

Paradox could make rivalries a lot more complex and dynamic imo.

Oh yeah, another point that really annoys me.

Austria and Venice rival each other, but both face a larger threat, the Ottomans. They will never say, "Okay, we hate each other but let's stand together so we don't get beaten up by the Ottomans". Meaning the Ottomans can beat them up individually.

I'm saying this as a player too. I have claims on Venice and will soon have them on Austria, as France. They are rivalled to each other but they will not work together against a greater threat, meaning I could probably attack both at the same time with ease if I wanted to.

Reactions:
Honestly i think the favor gain should be increased, .03 per month is soooo slow. I know you can beat large nations as a smaller nation but i disabled the cossacks unless playing a horde just for this reason, to avoid the awful favor system.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hello and Welcome to another development diary for Europa Universalis IV. Sadly Groogy is sick so we have to shuffle around our planning a bit and give you something that was not originally planned for today.

Will the curry favor system prevent trust from decaying now that there's an active diplomat action?

• 1Like
Reactions: