• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 12th of September 2017

Welcome all to another fine Tuesday and its accompanying EU4 Dev Diary. In last week's diary we mentioned that we would take a look at changes to Islam in the upcoming expansion which will be released alongside update 1.23. As we have made clear, we're giving a lot of love to the Muslim world in 1.23 and as such let's look at changes we've made to Islam and Piety.

We'll start with looking at the Piety bar. As a mechanic, it has remained fairly untouched for EU4's existence. Few would doubt that the Piety bonuses are strong, but they can't be called the most engaging of the game's content. In 1.23, we've visually spruced up the Piety bar, introducing terms for both ends of the spectrum, with low Piety being called Mysticism and high piety being depicted as devotion towards Legalism. Additionally, Piety events have been rewritten to reflect different the types of piety (Mystic vs Legalistic) rather than trying to measure "how pious" a ruler was. We have also taken this opportunity to weed out some of the older events that were not up to our current standards, with book burning no longer being a Pious action.

piety bar.jpg

Additionally, for expansion owners your passive Piety bonus can be passed up in favour of one-off effects depending on your Pious leanings. At -75 piety or lower, you can call on Religious Followers to bolster your manpower, gaining 2 years' of manpower growth. At 75 or greater Piety, you are able to Enforce Faithful Adherence for an immediate loss of 2 corruption. These actions will push your piety back towards the centre by 50, so consider carefully if the one-time action is worth foregoing the Pious effect you have built up.

Additionally, each Islamic nation will follow one Muslim School of Law. The School that your nation adheres to is predetermined and cannot be changed, or for new nations/converts, chosen at your spawning/conversion. Each School grants its own bonus and has a relationship with each other school, ranging between Respect, Ambivalent and Hate. While Ambivalence grants no particular effect, nations from Schools with a mutual respect or hatered will find relations and diplomatic acceptance strengthened or shakier respectively. The relationships between schools are harmed by large scale and prolonged wars between larger nations of those schools, and conversely can be improved by longstanding, trusting alliances between them.

schools.jpg

Schools and their bonuses are as follows:

religious_schools = {
#Sunnis
hanafi_school = {
technology_cost = -0.05
}
hanbali_school = {
ae_impact = -0.1
}
maliki_school = {
development_cost = -0.1
}
shafii_school = {
merchants = 1
}
#Shias
ismaili_school = {
horde_unity = 1
legitimacy = 1
republican_tradition = 0.5
devotion = 1
}
jafari_school = {
shock_damage = 0.1
}
zaidi_school = {
shock_damage_received = -0.1
}
}

relations degrade.jpg

So while your own School is set in stone, we allow Islamic nations to Invite Scholars from other Schools. Assuming an alliance and high relations with another nation, you will be able to spend 50 Admin points to invite a Scholar who will give you an extra effect in addition to your own School's for 20 years.

invite scholar.jpg

Inviting a scholar from an opposing faith's School (Such as a Sunni nation trying to invite a Zaidi Scholar) will require low piety, although the Ibadis are exempt from this.

Additionally, as I like to do, let's have a look at Another region of the world and how trade goods have changed. In fact, let's just grab all of western/Central Europe!

W europe trade goods .jpg

With Piety and Muslim Schools covered today, we shall spend the next week sheepishly looking at two nations in particular who had a profound effect on the Middle East in the 15th Century.

With Piety and Muslim Schools covered today, we shall spend the next week sheepishly looking at two nations in particular who had a profound effect on the Middle East in the 15th Century
Byzantium? :rolleyes:

Interesting DD; thanks.

Can you elaborate on how Ibadi nations differ from Shia and Sunni some more?

PS: Is the turban-wearing older man on one of the alerts in previous DDs related to Ibadi, maybe? :p

Last edited:
Awesome changes ! But there's one off topic thing that I cannot get out of my mind.. Are there any plans to change the ugly looking new map of egypt, and make its borders a bit more aesthetically appealing ?

Sounds interesting, I look forward to the many crazy plots to combo the powers of each school. Can we now get a religious mapmode screenshot? Will it show which school a given nation follows?

A bit of a shame you used the word Legalism, I was thinking about sugestin a general mechanics by that name.
Could you show the effects at full mysticism? Because 10% morale and 3% conversion seem very hard to beat
−10% Technology cost
+20% National manpower modifier
+20% National tax modifier

are the current opposite effects.

Could you show the effects at full mysticism? Because 10% morale and 3% conversion seem very hard to beat
It's probably what was previously at -100 piety, so +tax, +manpower -tech cost.

So the Ibadi faith doesn't have any religious schools?

Nothing screams *Power Creep* like -%10 AE, %5 technoloy cost and %10 Development cost. And free manpower/corruption loss as well. I sincerely hope you guys know what you are doing, if only so we can avoid any more Ottoman flamewars in the forums. :c

As for next week, I will anxiously await what you have to say on the Aq Qoyunlu and Qara Qoyunlu. And if these 2 nations deserve a dev diary of their own... There might still be some hope for the Ottomans after all.

With Piety and Muslim Schools covered today, we shall spend the next week sheepishly looking at two nations in particular who had a profound effect on the Middle East in the 15th Century.

I worry that you will present history as a black/white issue!

Nothing screams *Power Creep* like -%10 AE, %5 technoloy cost and %10 Development cost. And free manpower/corruption loss as well. I sincerely hope you guys know what you are doing, if only so we can avoid any more Ottoman flamewars in the forums. :c

As for next week, I will anxiously await what you have to say on the Aq Qoyunlu and Qara Qoyunlu. And if these 2 nations deserve a dev diary of their own... There might still be some hope for the Ottomans after all.

Meh those bonuses are just alright, Im more worried of the 10% shock dmg dealt - 10% shock dmg recieved... :eek:.
Really amazing stuff though.