• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 12th of March 2019

Let’s talk about Germany. Before I begin, I’d like you all to spare a few minutes to examine the image below:

nightmare.png

As you may be aware this is a screenshot of the glorious, beautiful, and ambitious EU4 mod ‘Voltaire’s Nightmare’. I’d like to assure you all that we are not going to implement this or anything like this in vanilla EU4.

So what are we going to do? Well for one thing we’re going to continue to rely on abstractions such as the existence of a country called “Switzerland” in 1444 rather than a multitude of semi-independent cantons. “Accuracy”, beyond a certain point, ceases to be relevant or else Voltaire’s Nightmare becomes the standard. Good design, rather than “accuracy”, is what should guide us here.

On that note, I’ve devised a few design guidelines that will advise the way we plan out the region, some of which I’ll share with you now. Bear in mind that these are guidelines and not hard rules; there will likely be the occasional exception.
  • Provinces owned by free cities should be approximately Frankfurt-sized. This creates extra space, as well as a visual distinction between Free Cities and other OPM’s.
  • All other provinces should be noticeably larger than Free City provinces. This sets a limit to how far we should split up the region.

• A development increase in Germany in to be expected, but we should aim to keep it under control. Germany should not be dramatically more developed in the European update compared to 1.28

• We should specifically avoid increasing the starting development of majors like Austria, Burgundy, and Bohemia.

• It is more acceptable for “new” development to be added to weaker and/or new tags

• It can be tempting to split tags up for the sake of “accuracy”, but keep in mind that we still want a mix of large, small, and medium powers. Consider the impact on the balance of power.

• Adding new tags designed to begin as vassals is sometimes desirable, but starting liberty desire should be kept under 50%. If this cannot be achieved without disproportionately buffing the development of the overlord, it is better not to have the vassal.

• Avoid adding independent OPM’s. There are literally hundreds of OPM’s that we could but definitely should not add to the game. New OPM’s should be restricted to Free Cities or else have a very good reason to exist.

• Avoid non-contiguous country borders. This is messy for a variety of reasons, including military access.

• Provinces adjacencies should be clearly visible, always more than a few pixels. Likewise avoid ‘four corners’ style adjacencies where possible.

• It should look good. Think about aesthetics in terms of province borders, states, historical borders, etc.
I’ll skip the nostalgic retrospective today and get right into the gritty details. Let’s take a look at southern Germany:

southgermany.png

Bavaria is looking rather monolithic in 1.28, but it was not so historically. Divided between several Duchies most notably based in Munich, Landshut, and Ingolstadt, the Wittelsbach dynasty is at odds with itself in 1444. Bavaria wouldn’t be united until 1503, when Albrecht IV instituted primogeniture. There were also other independent polities in Bavaria such as the Bishopric of Passau and the Free City of Regensburg. We’re going to have to decide how many Bavarian states are going to exist in 1444, but we are determined for the answer to be “more”. Overall the region’s total development seems a little lackluster compared to the likes of Austria and Bohemia, so expect to see it boosted by comparison.

Looking to the west, there is the potential for more Free Cities in Swabia, as well as splitting the large province of Wurttemberg. Switzerland is trickier. We certainly don’t want to represent each province as a nation, but the fact is that the Swiss Confederacy wasn’t as large in 1444 as we currently present it. Graubünden for instance, later unified under the Three Leagues, had yet to be incorporated. We certainly want to add a province, and very possibly also a tag, for the city of Geneva. Geneva in 1444 was a somewhat unwilling subject of Savoy, and would eventually secure its liberation through entry into the Swiss Confederacy. We're also thinking about how we want to represent that rather unique "government" of the Confederacy, but more on that much later. The passes through the Alps could also use some work; we feel that there ought to be a connection between Savoia and Piedmont, while the pass between Piedmont and Wallis seems less necessary.

northgermany.png

And here’s northern Germany. As I noted in my design guidelines, there’s a temptation to overboard splitting up e.g. Saxony and Brunswick into many small duchies. In this region I think we should resist this urge for the sake of maintaining a mix of countries of different power levels within the HRE. Saxony for instance shall likely remain united. There are however candidates for splitting and potential new tags that could be added to the region. Pomerania and Silesia are both good candidates for division. Luneburg, Verden, and Magdeburg could potentially be elevated from OPM status. New OPM’s such as the Free City of Nordhausen are also possibilities. We’ll be carefully considering which provinces and countries merit inclusion and how they each fit into our overall goals for the region.

Moving on to the Low Countries, this is a region that has seen a lot of iteration over the course of EU4’s history. There is very little that can still be done without over-inflating its province density and risking an excessive reduction in the development of each province. That said, some changes we’re considering include an additional province in Flanders, splitting up Brabant, and adding the province of Julich (though we’re not quite sure how Julich is going to work). The Friesland/Utrecht border is something often complained about and will likely be revised in some way, though the solution probably will not be to add a new province. I’ve also seen suggestions for adding Frisian culture along parts of the coast, which is something we’re considering.

I hope that I’ve been able to give you some insight into the way we think about map changes, and once again I look forward to hearing your thoughts on Germany and the HRE. This concludes our series of dev diaries on the upcoming map changes. Next week you’ll be hearing from me again, but this time on the subject of mission trees.

Last edited:
With Nasty events I mean some like Dutch revolts. Autonomy and stuff. Like yay finally i got it. Wait. Omg please. Pls ottoman attack me to kill all these rebels

With Nasty events I mean some like Dutch revolts. Autonomy and stuff. Like yay finally i got it. Wait. Omg please. Pls ottoman attack me to kill all these rebels
By the time "Electoral Cologne" loses its electorate, Köln (the tag with the city of Cologne) could already be free and a reasonably great power (especially if controlled by the player). Why should the former electorate inherit the "city", when they have parted ways?
Country names should not include references to government forms or special powers (like being an elector) which are not bound to the tag. There are few exceptions where this logic breaks down a bit (E.g. Teutonic Order or The Knights).
Thus, no "Electoral Cologne" tag. Similarly, the city of Bremen is represented by the Bremen tag, but the archbishopric of Bremen is actually Verden. Following this logic, the Electoral tag would be Bonn? Given the importance of the electorate, that would be a bit annoying.
Lastly, the Cologne province is already small. If split, it would go below Utrecht-size, which is an issue.

By the time "Electoral Cologne" loses its electorate, Köln (the tag with the city of Cologne) could already be free and a reasonably great power (especially if controlled by the player). Why should the former electorate inherit the "city", when they have parted ways?
Country names should not include references to government forms or special powers (like being an elector) which are not bound to the tag. There are few exceptions where this logic breaks down a bit (E.g. Teutonic Order or The Knights).
Thus, no "Electoral Cologne" tag. Similarly, the city of Bremen is represented by the Bremen tag, but the archbishopric of Bremen is actually Verden. Following this logic, the Electoral tag would be Bonn? Given the importance of the electorate, that would be a bit annoying.
Lastly, the Cologne province is already small. If split, it would go below Utrecht-size, which is an issue.

Its somehow right until Saxony and Saxe Lauenburg.

To form Prussia as a Teutonic order or any other nation, should be a requirement to own Berlin and maybe even Brandenburg shouldn't exist.
Any (Duchy or lower tier monarchy government) HRE Prince should be able to form Prussia as long as they are on good terms with the Emperor (with some other conditions obviously). However, the only real benefit of forming Prussia should be the Kingdom rank government. The Prussian ideas and the Prussian government should be exclusive to Brandenburg and any country formed by Brandenburg. The Teutonic Order should also be able to reform into Prussia, yielding them a Duchy tier monarchy instead of their theocratic starting government, but not the ideas or special government type.

To form Prussia as a Teutonic order or any other nation, should be a requirement to own Berlin and maybe even Brandenburg shouldn't exist.
But why? Prussia proper is the Teutonic order territory, Brandenburg has nothing to do with it.
The historical state was called Prussia, because Prussia was a kingdom rather than the electoral march of Brandenburg. (Though electors historically were only a smidgeon below kings in rank).

Any (Duchy or lower tier monarchy government) HRE Prince should be able to form Prussia as long as they are on good terms with the Emperor (with some other conditions obviously). However, the only real benefit of forming Prussia should be the Kingdom rank government. The Prussian ideas and the Prussian government should be exclusive to Brandenburg and any country formed by Brandenburg. The Teutonic Order should also be able to reform into Prussia, yielding them a Duchy tier monarchy instead of their theocratic starting government, but not the ideas or special government type.
Eh, forming Prussia is a good goal to strive for as a German minor, especially as there are still some with the generic German ideas. The current Prussian ideas are not extremely Brandenburgian anyway.