• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 12th of June 2018

Good day all. It's everyone's favourite time of the week: EU4 Dev Diary time. We've covered the three meatiest changes coming in Dharma in our previous diaries, that is to say the Government Overhaul, Policies rework and the revamped Estates. We'll likely go back over these in a future dev diary to make something of a "cliff notes" of big changes in 1.26 and Dharma.

That said, we're still far from done with all the neat things to show you in our upcoming Mughals update and the Dharma expansion. Today, I'll show you a feature from each.

Firstly, as I teased in an earlier tweet we are adding a new mapmode with the update: one that has been requested since time immemorial. The Truce Mapmode.

hungry Osmanoglu surveys the scene.jpg

Ottomans are under-powered: pretty much no targets in 1444

Implemented with pride by the Caped Crusader @Duplo the truce mapmode allows you to see all nations with whome you have a truce with in a gradual tone of red. As the truce comes to an end, the brightness of the red dissipates. Additionally, nations that you have a casus belli on are marked in green stripes. Grey nations on the map naturally are ones you have no truce with.

Here's a more "hands on" example of how it looks in play.

Nobody messes with Nepal but Nepal messes with everyone.jpg

Nepal is an awesome formable in 1.26. The Prussia of the East.

No more will you be forced to click on all nations around you to figure out if they are fair game without chugging that -5 stab hit (minus three with Diplomatic ideas) The information is right here, and this mapmode is available to all with the 1.26 Mughal Update.

Another change coming along, this time with the Dharma expansion, is a change to how one Autonomously Suppresses Rebels. Now your army can be told exactly which areas to hunt rebels in, and the selected areas will have their unrest reduction spread out in those areas

Revolting Lithuania Peasants.jpg

It'll take Lithuania some time to get to India. In the meantime, they'll get their internal affairs in order.

In this new rebel suppression mode, which replaces the old auto-rebel-hunt for Dharma owners, armies will reduce unrest in the selected areas by up to 5 and hunt down any revolts strictly within the selected areas while avoiding enemy armies. Where-ever you give them this command will be treated as their "home" province and they will return to there upon defeating any rebel scum. In this mode, their unrest reduction is increased five-fold, but still capped at 5 and will be spread out across the provinces. If you want to have an army suppressing a large, revolting area, better make sure it's a good one.

That'll be it from me this week. While there's much more I'd love to be telling you about next week, I'll be handing the mic over to the talented @Audiomancer who is eager to tell you about the audio improvements coming in 1.26 which have been a long time coming.

Last edited:
That looks great regarding the possibility to hunt rebels, although I probably wouldn't trust the AI. First, I thought it would just be an edict. I assume it doesn't mean they will automatically chase rebel stacks?

My biggest concern would be that once the rebels do spawn, your stack is spread out too much and gets part of it wiped.

I realy don't like this change, since the way a Area is defined in the game forces u to change it over and over again. For early game this change is good, but in lategame with out the ability to define a lot larger areas u have to go and manually fight rebels again.
Sure the old Feature was not the best, but at least Lategame u could just have a 60 Mercantilism stack on hunt rebels and a Subject on defensive and they would clear up all rebels. Now I fear thats no longer possible

Last edited:
My biggest concern would be that once the rebels do spawn, your stack is spread out too much and gets part of it wiped.

The stack itself doesn't get spread out, only their ability to suppress.

Not the meatiest of DDs but the additions are welcome. Suppressing rebels before they pop will now be a viable thing, but I fear the UI will very quickly get cluttered by an overwhelming number of areas. I really like that you put just a little more thought into the truce mapmode than just making it plain red and grey. I guess, this also means that until the next DLC, this is it for any big changes.

I hope one day a edict mapmode will be made. I just need a binairy map to know where edicts are present. I think there is some sort of list in the game, but I get lost in these.

There already is, been there since we added edicts

If rebels are not buffed in this patch (and I suspect it's not the case), we got another oversimplification of the game. :(

So unrest is now measured by area or will they just try to juggle unrest between provinces?

The stack itself will kill off any rebels that pop but their unrest reduction is spread out over the assigned areas.

Will rebel suppression also works in wars ? Thus the army set to protect areas will protect them from any enemy ?