• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 12th of January 2021

After a few weeks without Dev Diaries, I am happy to present you a new one. I hope you all had a great time during them!

When I joined Paradox in October, Polynesia was not included in this Expansion. Considering it was the last part of the Earth without representation, I thought it would be nice to have some work done on it, so I proposed some ideas that I am happy to share with you all.

But, before I start, I would like to thank @Meka66 for his help and work that has greatly inspired me for this project.

THE MAP
The map has been slightly changed, since the basic needed setup was already there. However, in order to go a bit deeper, a few provinces have been added here and there. Do note that the flags are still a placeholder and not the final result.

Starting with Fiji, the archipelago has been divided in three provinces: one for each big island (Viti Levu and Vanua Levu) and a third one for the Lau archipelago that had a great influence from Tonga. Each province has a country inhabiting it, which is an abstraction of the many clans that populated each island. Should you unite them all under your banner, you will be able to form Viti.

Fiji Archipelago.png

[Fiji Archipelago and TAGs]​

In New Zealand a new province has been added in North Island which has the most populated one by the Maori people. The number of countries, though, goes up to 7. Six of them (Mataatua, Tainui, Takitimu, Taranaki, Te Arawa and Te Tai Tokerau) are in the Northern Island and Waitaha is in the Southern One. As in the case of Fiji, a Maori country that manages to unite the area is able to form Aotearoa.

New Zealand Archipelago.png

[New Zealand Archipelago and TAGs]​

Finally, the greatest transformation has been done in the Hawaiian Archipelago, that has gone from one province to four. Each province has their own country attached (Hawai’i, Kaua’i, Maui and O’ahu). As in the other cases, there is a formable for the unifiers of the islands.

Hawaii Archipelago.png

[Hawaii Archipelago and TAGs]​

A Polynesian rework could not let the two most important countries out: Samoa and Tonga.

Samoa & Tonga Archipelago.png

[Samoan and Tongan Archipelagos and TAGs]​

THE MISSIONS
As in the case of the Americas, the mission tree consists of a general common mission tree for every country and some specific missions for each country or group of them.

Tongan Mission Tree.png

[Tonga Mission Tree]
(Notice that all icons are still placeholders)​

Tonga is probably the most important TAG during this period. Despite the fact that the Tongan Empire is no more, a skillful player could rebuild it, bringing not only the neighboring islands under the control of Tongatapu, but go even further.

Some highlights of this tree include:
  • Bringing both Fiji and Samoa under your control again.
  • Recovering the Tongan Empire.
  • Expand even further.

Samoan Mission Tree.png

[Samoan Mission Tree]
(Notice that all icons are still placeholders).​

If Tonga was the political power during the period, Samoa was the cultural one. Most of the Pacific was colonized from there and from there were most of the traditions that ruled the lives of the Polynesians.

Some highlights of this tree include:
  • Recover the place as the cultural center.
  • Challenge Tonga.
  • Replace Tonga as the main power in the Pacific.

In order to not spoil the surprise, I will let you discover what the missions for the Maori the Fijian and the Hawaiian countries consist of.

THE NATIONAL IDEAS
Adding new TAGs would not be the same if they were not accompanied by their National Ideas.

Starting with the Fijians TAGs, their warring nature brought them a reputation of ruthless combatants, feared by everyone. But Fijians were also deeply religious people and famous shipbuilding artisans. All these things are represented in their National Ideas, making them a rather expansionist set.

Code:
fijian_ideas = {
    start = {
        light_ship_power = 0.1
        naval_attrition = -0.1
    }

bonus = {
        ae_impact = -0.2
    }

trigger = {
        OR = {
            tag = LAI
            tag = VIL
            #TODO: tag = VIT
            tag = VNL
        }
    }
    free = yes

fijian_crossroad = {
        num_accepted_cultures = 2
    }
    fijian_degel = {
        range = 0.1
        global_ship_trade_power = 0.1
    }
    fijian_conjoined = {
        global_missionary_strength = 0.02
    }
    fijian_waqa = {
        prestige_from_naval = 0.4
    }
    fijian_cannibal = {
        army_tradition_from_battle = 0.25
        prestige_from_land = 0.4
    }
    fijian_kai = {
        land_attrition = -0.25
    }
    fijian_confederacy = {
        global_tax_modifier = 0.05
        production_efficiency = 0.05
    }
}
[Fijian National Ideas]​

As in the case of the Fijians, the Maori are famed for their bravery and constant warfare. Their set of ideas is focused on land combat, without disregarding ways to keep the land around a strong leader.

Code:
maori_ideas = {
    start = {
        global_regiment_recruit_speed = -0.10
        harsh_treatment_cost = -0.20
    }

bonus = {
        prestige = 1
    }

trigger = {
        primary_culture = maori
    }
    free = yes

sons_of_kupe = {
        global_sailors_modifier = 0.10
        range = 0.10
    }
    kaikiakitanga = {
        tolerance_own = 1
    }
    kaumatua = {
        stability_cost_modifier = -0.20
    }
    kapa_haka = {
        land_morale = 0.10
    }
    pa_defence = {
        fort_maintenance_modifier = -0.10
    }
    te_moko = {
        leader_land_shock = 1
    }
    maori_king = {
        core_creation = -0.10
        legitimacy = 1
    }
}
[Maori National Ideas]​

As with the missions, we’d better not spoil the surprise by showing everything, am I right? I have a challenge for those that love them: try a world conquest with a Polynesian TAG! There are a couple of things in this area that could help you in that adventure. ;)

THE EVENTS
Events are one of the parts I like the most. While not as much time as I would have liked has been available, I have added more than 40 events to the area, including general events, specific Country events and even a few Easter eggs that I hope you can find and enjoy!

Fiji Event.png

Practice is what makes you a good warrior, after all.
(Notice that all pictures are still placeholders).

Hawaii Event.png

This event can be very nasty if you are in a very bad shape.
(Notice that all pictures are still placeholders).

Samoan Event.png

As Samoa, you will be given the choice to reform your society a bit or go on with the traditions with every ruler.
(Notice that all pictures are still placeholders).​

THE EXTRAS
There are a few things that have been added in order to create a bigger sense of immersion.

Maori culture has been created, separated from the main Polynesian branch. By the start of the game, the Maori were abandoning the Archaic Maori Period and entering a transformation one. The Iwi became more sedentary and their once pacific nature became more warlike as competition for resources becomes more central. New traditions had evolved by this time that justifies separating them from their islander cousins.

A new Polynesian technology group has been created. This technology group is between that of the Mesoamericans and the North Americans in penalty, but starts at tech 2.

Most Estates have been renamed to their proper versions to increase the flavor.

And some extra surprises here and there.

For now this is all. We still have lots of things to show, so just be patient and enjoy the time in between, everything will come!

Last edited:
  • 173Like
  • 80Love
Reactions:
  • 25Like
Reactions:
One of the reason part of the community is against the inclusion of pacific natives as playable states is due to their historical maritime inactivity in this period, how will this be addressed? It would be a bit immersion breaking to see Maori ships in SEA.

Last edited:
  • 58Like
Reactions:
Any mechanics for the Polynesians?

What of religion?

• 14Like
Reactions:
One of the reason part of the community is against the the inclusion of pacific natives as playable states is due to their historical maritime inactivity in this period, how well this be addressed? It would be a bit immersion breaking to see Maori ships in SEA.
Well, EU's stance has always been to allow players to play history, not necessarily simulate it.

Now answering your question, these TAGs start knowing only the Polynesian Triangle so they should not know of SEA for a long time.

• 79Like
Reactions:
One of the reason part of the community is against the the inclusion of pacific natives as playable states is due to their historical maritime inactivity in this period, how well this be addressed? It would be a bit immersion breaking to see Maori ships in SEA.
With Polynesian WC being one of the main selling point, I would expect "immersion breaking" to not be a concern.

• 27Haha
  • 5Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
  • 12Like
Reactions:
oh wow! That is finally a DD again that deserves its name!

Really great that, you took the time to change the estate names and added a lot of events. That really makes the difference in immersion! I really love that direction. Please whenever you feel that way, add more of them. They don't need to bring big Buffs or anything, but I really think that they are big part of making a difference , so that its not just feeling like more "new colortags with ideas but no real flavor".
Are there events considering the europeans or the SEA neigbours?
Iam just unsure with the timeline, if we EU4 should allow this countries at the other end of the world to be able to "conquer" the world, or even see more than america and SEA AT the END of the timeline. But I guess the this new technology group represents that in a bit.

I just fear, that the colonisers will not have that much to do anymore after this update. - so I hope that there are some interactions with european colonisers. There first apperance. Plagues, trade requests (and even events for both sides, to exchange trade/ or provinces, like the GOA Event for portugal) or the influences of european missionaries.

But really nice steps!

• 17Like
Reactions:
With Polynesian WC being one of the main selling point, I would expect "immersion breaking" to not be a concern.
I never said it is a selling point. In fact, I said it could be a nice challenge. There is something that skillful players can exploit that could help in that project, but it has never been added with WC in mind.

Sorry if I was not clear enough.

• 43Like
Reactions:
Sadly no since this has been a bit of side project, but I can assure you they are fun and challenging to play.
Doesn't seem like it. My main repeated disappointment every time such content is added is that without any specific mechanic it quickly degenerates into "conquer every little tag in sight and then play just like Spain or Japan or Ottomans (i.e. kill everyone who opposes you)", only without the unique content that other regions get.

I guess as a side project it's obviously better than nothing, but also feels like maybe it would be better if this was not made as a side project, but instead as a full DLC in a year or two.

• 6Like
  • 3Love
Reactions:
Interesting new place to play! One question, more for others than the designer; are there any other mid-Pacific islands that can still be colonised? I know I've availed of Hawaii as my stepping stone when playing an American nation and I want to reach Asia (or Asian reaching America), and/or getting a Merchant as since 1.30 Hawaii is like Cape in that regard. The balance of having to send an invasion force possibly well beyond you ships' range will shake things up there.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Are there events considering the europeans or the SEA neigbours?
Iam just unsure with the timeline, if we EU4 should allow this countries at the other end of the world to be able to "conquer" the world, or even see more than america and SEA AT the END of the timeline. But I guess the this new technology group represents that in a bit.
First thanks for yoiur kind words.

Secondly, no, the events are purely for these TAGs and dig in their traditions and clashes.

I feel like I did not make a good choice of words when challenging you guys! These TAGs are not more prepared to WC than any other TAG, though.

• 23Like
Reactions:
How exactly does adding small islands that are easy to miss and hard to click on help the game? How does having six new nations in New Zealand help the game in any way?

And the two new NIs are bad. Really bad. All of the naval bonuses are weak (ship morale, durability and combat ability, engagement width are the only worthwhile ones) and the rest of the bonus don't make up for it. The only saving grace is -10% AE and CCR. Still, they will have to fight off super ships from the Malay and with those bonuses they will lose every time.

Last edited:
  • 12Like
Reactions:
Sooo, feel free to add more of events like this to all the changed parts of this update! Thank you! The waiting was worth it.

One last question regarding colonisation and colonizers - how to make sure, that they will still have enough provinces to colonize, when we have a lot of new tags that "block" that provinces for colonisers? Are there events or possiblities that offers the AI selling land/islands as trade posts (besides the mechanic already in the game) in exchange for maybe money and institution growth?

ah and also, since paradox tinto is doing the DDs, they don't appear on the front page of paradox anymore. Maybe, someone could look into that? I guess a lot of players are missing this DDs cause of that reason.

• 14Like
Reactions:
Doesn't seem like it. My main repeated disappointment every time such content is added is that without any specific mechanic it quickly degenerates into "conquer every little tag in sight and then play just like Spain or Japan or Ottomans (i.e. kill everyone who opposes you)", only without the unique content that other regions get.

I guess as a side project it's obviously better than nothing, but also feels like maybe it would be better if this was not made as a side project, but instead as a full DLC in a year or two.
I am sorry you feel this way. I will try to do it better in the future.

• 33Like
  • 13Love
  • 13Haha
Reactions:
First thanks for yoiur kind words.

Secondly, no, the events are purely for these TAGs and dig in their traditions and clashes.

I feel like I did not make a good choice of words when challenging you guys! These TAGs are not more prepared to WC than any other TAG, though.
It's not just that.
-0.20 AE for Fijian ideas is huge.
I mean, the moment I saw it, I thought: now the forums will get flooded with discussions on how best to utilize the huge AE discount and the fact that most nations don't see your capital for maximum expansion without coalitions.

I get that it wasn't the intention, but it is a huge expansion bonus.

I am sorry you feel this way. I will try to do it better in the future.
Sorry for being too negative. I guess, it's better to be glad for extra free content than to complain without even trying it out.

• 20Like
Reactions: