• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 Development Diary - 11th February 2016

Hello and Welcome to another development diary for Europa Universalis IV. This time we take a look at a concept that neither we nor you have not been entirely happy with in any previous Paradox game: Espionage.

In the next major patch, we have completely reworked how espionage works. No longer is every spy action done by just sending a diplomat that will perform the action for as long as it is there, but now there is a concept of spy networks.

You now send a diplomat on a mission to a country to build up a spy network. The network can reach up to 100% power, and that power can be used to execute spy actions, such as sow discontent, fabricate claims, etc.

Spy Offense has been renamed to Spy Network Construction, and determines how quickly you build spy networks in another nation.

Spy Defence has been renamed to “Foreign Spy Detection”, and now determine the chance of detecting hostile network buildups and disrupting it. A disrupted network will lose some of its power, and also make it impossible for you continue improving it for a time period.

Performing an action is instant, and as long as you have the power, success is automatic. However, networks that are not actively built will slowly decay.

You can also target other nations networks with counterespionage, to actively reduce their capabilities of their network.

gAZjY5C.jpg

There are three passive benefits to having a strong spy network in another nation. First of all, if you have the Cossacks expansion and picked the Espionage Ideas, you have access to Study Technology, which is no longer a source of power, but instead a possibility to reduce technology costs by up 30% from having networks in nations ahead of you (the size of the discount depends on how far ahead they are in each tech). Secondly, the new expansion grants up to 20% higher siege ability against nations where you have a spy network. Finally, the new expansion gives you up to 10% less AE in that country.

Of course, all of those scale with the power of the spy network.

Espionage now contains the following actions.

Fabricate Claim: Gives you a claim on an eligible province for a low cost.
Justify Trade Conflict: Gives you a trade conflict CB if conditions are applicable for a low cost.
Support Rebels: Selected rebel faction gets +10% chance to progress towards revolt each month for 5 years for a very high cost. It will also cost a fair amount of cash to support ythe troops.

The following requires the Espionage Ideagroup.

Sow Discontent, applies +3 unrest and reduces legitimacy, republican tradition, devotion or unity for 5 years for a high cost
Infiltrate Administration: Lifts Fog of War over the target country for 5 years for a medium cost.
Sabotage Reputation: -3 diplomatic reputation for 5 years for a medium cost.
Agitate for Liberty: Selected subject has +25 liberty desire that lasts 5 years for a high cost.

There is also four new actions enabled by the new expansion, two of those we’ll tell you about here, two others are for future development diaries.

Sabotage Recruitment: Gives 20% less manpower and Sailor recovery speed for 5 years for a medium cost.
Slander Merchant: Reduces Global Trade Power by 33% for 5 years for a high cost.

Of course actions that require previously expansions will still require those expansions.

Next week we’ll be back with a look at Africa.

• 1Like
Reactions:
While it looks like a good update i find myself disappointed. It's still all rather pointless, at least for me. I never unlock espionage ideas and shall continue to never unlock them as there is by far way better ideas to unlock and by the time i get around to picking espionage ideas it's mostly pointless anyway since i'm already quite strong and don't really need them.

Like spinoza said above, espionage should really be available to everyone without having to unlock the ideas, instead have the espionage ideas as bonuses or a new idea all together.

Reactions:
Reactions:
Is there any reason I can't see this Dev Diary on the Home screen on the forum. I almost missed this one. Or maybe it just needs time to update?

Anyways good DD, I can't wait for the next about Africa. :D

i spy with my little eye...map changes in Lithuania!

the big Grodna and Troki provinces have definitely been reshaped to create a Sudovia or Marijampolė province (making a historically correct Duchy of Warsaw / Cogress Poland possible). i think there are also changes in the upper Dnieper basin, although i can't put a finger on anything precisely.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Indeed, why is the money bleeding? Is it a new corruption mechanic?

We can only wait and speculate. Its surely a % Growing Number. Corruption seems Right. Less probably Inflation, Or idk

Withholding such information from the player would be much more annoying than the extremely small immersion damage it does at the moment.

Immersion damage is far worse damage type than not being inexplicably omnipotent surely, though?

Sometimes you have to take risks, other times you just have to build up a spy network to get better ledger info. That doesn't seem too annoying, so long as you don't (have to or choose to) rely on the risk taking option too much.

Reactions:
Immersion damage is far worse damage type than not being inexplicably omnipotent surely, though?

Sometimes you have to take risks, other times you just have to build up a spy network to get better ledger info. That doesn't seem too annoying, so long as you don't (have to or choose to) rely on the risk taking option too much.

You seem to misunderstand what the ledger does. The ledger makes easily available numbers the player can easily compute anyways, so all it does is save him time. It doesn't reveal any information the player couldn't already determine.

Reactions:
We can only wait and speculate. Its surely a % Growing Number. Corruption seems Right. Less probably Inflation, Or idk
I'm pretty sure that this is new corruption mechanic. Wis often spoke about the problem of too much money in the late game at the big empires. And it would be a great solution for this.

Reactions:
You seem to misunderstand what the ledger does. The ledger makes easily available numbers the player can easily compute anyways, so all it does is save him time. It doesn't reveal any information the player couldn't already determine.

... It tells you when the enemy army is completely broken. It tells you how much of there force-limit they're currently using. It tells you they don't have another army you don't know about. It tells you when the enemy has depleted manpower. How could you determine any of these with only info not from the ledger?

Reactions:
i spy with my little eye...map changes in Lithuania!

the big Grodna and Troki provinces have definitely been reshaped to create a Sudovia or Marijampolė province (making a historically correct Duchy of Warsaw / Cogress Poland possible). i thinks there are also changes in the upper Dnieper basin, although i can't put a finger on anything precisely.

I'm not sure if it was already like this, but it looks like Lithuania no longer has a shared border with Riga. The Livonian Order's southern territory is now joined up.

Reactions:
This sounds great. Espionage certainly seems much more useful and interesting with those changes.
However, I think your proposed changes will "fix" espionage itself without fixing the espionage idea group, and the - by now famously underpowered - idea group was in far more need of improvement than espionage as such.
While the rework sounds really cool, it seems to me that none of the best benefits of espionage are exclusive to the espionage idea group.

I mean, it seems to me that all of these spy-actions/passive spy-benefits are stronger any of the idea group exclusive spy actions (the list itself is not ordered):
Up to 20 % siege ability
Up to 10 % AE reduction with the target
Up to 30 % tech cost reduction (to be fair, it was a bit unclear to me, whether that was espionage idea group exclusive)
Slander Merchant
Sabotage recruiment
Fabricate claim

In other words, it seems to me that I can get all the best of benefits of espionage, without taking the espionage idea group. So while these changes will make espionage a good deal more interesting and useful, it seems to me that the idea group will still be pretty subpar. Imho, you should make some of the new cool stuff idea group exclusive, like the increse in siege ability or Slander merchants/ sabotage recruitment instead of the pretty lack-lustre sabotage reputation and sow discontent, which I just cannot see choosing espionage ideas in order to access.

Of course I realize I have not seen the full changes to espionage itself or the idea group, but tihs is the impression I was left with.

Tl;dr: These changes make espionage itself more important, but after these changes are made espionage ideas will probably still suck.

Last edited:
Reactions:
... It tells you when the enemy army is completely broken. It tells you how much of there force-limit they're currently using. It tells you they don't have another army you don't know about. It tells you when the enemy has depleted manpower. How could you determine any of these with only info not from the ledger?

Enemy army can be determined from how their current wars are going. So are their force limits, as it's either going to be all or nothing depending on how their wars are going. Same with depleted manpower. The only thing you wouldn't know is whether they have another army, but that's only an issue with nations with overseas empires, and it's pretty easy to deal with those overseas armies as they arrive.

Reactions: