• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 10th of November

Hey everyone! So when we introduced the new natives mechanics several of you were asking why we weren’t changing Totemism as well while at it. So since then and while I was working on the Sikh Gurus and Zoroastrianism I figured I should give it a shot and try to give them something as many of you were pointing out, it is one of the major religions at the start of the game and it deserves some love. Be warned a lot of work in progress values & especially really bad coder art will be shown!

Now North America is a big place, and how we are using Totemism in the game is sort of a catch all for several very distinct mythoses and with that also comes the challenge of figuring out flavor that is general enough and fits all of these as well. What I could find as a best candidate for a fun mechanic that could fit for all of these very different cultures were that they all have legendary figures, and the oral tradition of great deeds. Like Gloosecap of the Abenaki, or Esa the Wolf of the Shoshone.

1604997195341.png

So now as you progress through the game, you can add one of your previous rulers to your mythos. You can have a maximum of 10 stories added at any point. This costs 100 Diplomatic power but they can also be removed later on for a severe stability hit. It’s not intended to be something that you switch around often but I don’t want to lock you in entirely either.

1604998062982.png

Adding an ancestor’s story to your religion will have them provide the personality they had in real life be applied to your country for all future, with some modifications which we will get into in a bit. It will be a weaker version than they had in real life but still a nice bonus for you even as they have died.

1604998135064.png

So with this change in order to keep things balanced rulers who follow Totemism will only have one personality, since it will be combined together with the benefits they get from the religion as well. But these are special and they scale with the rulers skill. This does mean that you can get a ruler with 7.5% discipline bonus instead of 5%. This is also to feed into the ancestor stories where not all rulers will actually be useful to be made into a story. This does mean that totemism needs it’s entire own setup of personalities scripted up but we are aiming to try and match the original ones.

The intent is since you have 10 ancestor stories you can collect, each will just provide a bit of the full picture. It's a religion you build up over time by reconnecting to previous rulers you’ve had.

Also here's a preliminary set of values for the Gurus and their teaching. The value next to the Guru's name is applied by the Guru while they are alive. The ones in the lists are their teachings and can be picked by you as the player. These values are still work in progress but I know people been asking for a complete list.
Guru Nanak: +1 Admin Power
  • Share and Consume: -1 Unrest
  • Work Honestly: 5% Production Eff
  • Recite His Name: -2.5% Regiment Cost
Guru Angad: +1 Military Power
  • Gurmukhi Script: -5% Tech Cost
  • Temple Langar: +10% Church Loyalty
  • Wrestling Akhara: +0.1 Yearly Army Professionalism
Guru Amar Das: +1 Diplomatic Power
  • Dasvnandh Collection: +5% Tax Modifier
  • Anand Karaj: +1 Diplomatic Reputation
  • Sanghat Equality: +10% Nobles Loyalty
Guru Ram Das: +1 Admin Power
  • Legitimize Inheritance: +0.25 Legitimacy (or +0.1 Rep Trad, etc. etc.)
  • Scripture Hymns: +0.5 Prestige
  • Masand System: +10% Manpower Modifier
Guru Arjan: +1 Diplomatic Power
  • Adi Granth: +10% Institution Spread
  • The Abode of God: +10% Rel Unity
  • Martyrdom: 5% Land Morale
Hargobind: +1 Military Power
  • Throne of the Timeless One: Same as Legitimize Inheritance
  • Protection of the Poor: -0.025 War Exhaustion
  • Miri and Piri: +2.5% Discipline
Guru Har Rai: +1 Diplomatic Power
  • Impartial Manjis: -0.05 Corruption
  • The Fragrance of a Flower: +10% Improve Relations
  • One Guru: +5% Nobles Loyalty
Guru Har Krishan: +1 Diplomatic Power
  • Treat the Sick: +1 Monarch Admin Skill
  • Illiterate Recites Saloks: +1 Monarch Diplomatic Skill
  • Young Humility: +1 Monarch Military Skill
Guru Tegh Bahadur: +1 Admin Power
  • The Word of Sikh: +1 Missionary
  • All Kings must Pass: +2 Tolerance of Heretics
  • Resist Persecution: +1 Hostile Attrition
Guru Gobind Singh: +1 Admin Power
  • Pluralism: -10% Advisor Cost
  • Dharam Yudh: 50% War Taxes Cost
  • The Khalsa Sikh: +0.1 Yearly Army Professionalism
Guru Granth Sahib: -50% State Maintenance Cost, -25% Regiment Drill Loss
  • Eternally Living Guru: -10% Development Cost
  • Divine Justice: 10% Trade Efficiency
  • The Unchanging Writing: 50% Drill Gain Modifier

And that is it for today! Thanks for reading and we’ll see you next week!

• 122Like
  • 46Love
Reactions:
The madlads really listened and gave us a Totemism rework. Let us see if we can push our luck and whine enough for Animism or Judaism. I finally want to play in NA as a native, which should be fun.

On the subject of "Native" cultures, might we get a tag or two out in Polynesia? Maybe Maori, Tahiti or Tonga?

• 2Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
@Groogy
I'd do Totemism religion differently 'cause as others said earlier some tribes don't like to mention the dead.
How'd I do it: So the tribes develop their religion by building up their totem level by level,

cool-scooby-doo-friends-build-own_1_decf8c5c94ff4280ddda5bdf785107f7.jpg

That's how you build your totem

up to 10 as in dd by doing many different actions and tasks from the pool i.e:

-migrate (x times) - and it gives reward (they can be the same as personality rewards)
-attack colonial nation - and i.e. it gives 5% disc.
-join federation
-lead federation
-settle down
-meet european country
-don't border any tribe
-X countries have negative opinion of you
-modernize through a European sponsor
-convert christian province
-attack another native
-own X prov. of tribal land (recently announced)
-unify culture (incl. tribal land)
-introduce vision quest
-encourage divination
-implement religious sacrifies
-reach x devastation
-reach the sea
-embrace feudalism
-army built up to the force limit

And there could be more of these alike
That pool'd somehow force natives to do what they did in rl and i'd leave ancestors system that was supposed to be Totemism to native Australians' new religion.

PS and why not telling what'd be in the next dd? When future dd's topic is announced earlier people make a great brainstorming in comment section and it's often great.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
On the subject of "Native" cultures, might we get a tag or two out in Polynesia? Maybe Maori, Tahiti or Tonga?
I'd love to see Hawaii dynamically show up at some point. I actually made a mod some years ago that caused it to spawn in with a MTTH of 30 years after a European power first explores the Hawaii province, to simulate Kamehameha I's uniting of all the islands about 30 years after Captain Cook discovered the archipelago. (And the fact that Westerners provided military training and materiel to help Kamehameha finally manage to unite the entire island chain.) This provides explorers an opportunity to colonize the islands first if they're fast, to simulate colonizing while the archipelago was still split between multiple competing rulers, but should cause the kingdom to spawn pretty reliably outside of human interference.

• 6Like
Reactions:
I just hope that the northamerican natives get a few more national idea sets. If my memory serves me right the 46 (48 if you count northern mesoamerica) current starting tags in northamerica only have 9 national idea sets between them with 36 of them sharing the "native" idea set. With this patch supposedly raising the number of starting tribes in northamerica from 48 to 104 the number of tags sharing the extremly generic "native" ideas would probably increase by a vast ammount unless some new unique sets get added.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I just hope that the northamerican natives get a few more national idea sets. If my memory serves me right the 46 (48 if you count northern mesoamerica) current starting tags in northamerica only have 9 national idea sets between them with 36 of them sharing the "native" idea set. With this patch supposedly raising the number of starting tribes in northamerica from 48 to 104 the number of tags sharing the extremly generic "native" ideas would probably increase by a vast ammount unless some new unique sets get added.

Yup, and the Miskito and Tairona (in Nicaragua and Colombia respectively) also use Native Ideas. Very little difference between any of these tags beyond starting location.

Reactions:
Maybe they could even ADD new religions after that? Even if it gets a mechanic, Animist is still a placeholder which would benefit from a divide (at least between Asia, Polynesia and South America), and there is a very good case for importing Nestorian or European Pagan faiths from CK2.
I would definitely love to see Greek, Roman and Egyptian pantheon. Also while at it rename
Coptic to Miaphysite and perhaps bring Indian Christianity to life. Or alternatively just bring Nestorian.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Firstly: 10 stories do not fit the balance of religions, I suggest reducing them to 5.
Secondly: I propose to make the mechanics of converting to Christianity (for Buddhism too) along trade routes in the new world (by analogy with Islam), since not the government of the colonies played a significant role in the Christianization of America, but independent Catholic orders and Protestant missionaries, whom the government only helped partially.
Thirdly: I propose to make events on religious and cultural syncritism. For example: you can launch a general Catholic event like Council of Trent, Valladolid debate, as a result of which Pope must choose between Bartolomé de las Casas and Juan Ginés de Sepúlveda. If Bartolomé de las Casas is selected, all provinces with Native American culture will receive a + 1% missionary bonus for Catholics, and all Catholic provinces (with Native American culture) in America will receive a -2 confusion bonus, + 25% culture conversion cost , bonus based on original religion, bonus based on culture. If Juan Ginés de Sepúlveda is selected, all provinces with Native American culture -1% missionary for Catholics, and all Catholic provinces (with Native American culture) in America, will receive a +2 unrest bonus, -25% culture conversion cost, and + 10% goods produced modifier. This will reflect the specifics of Christianity in America. I propose to the Protestants to make similar events, but taken separately by each country.

Similarly, Native Americans can add events related to conversion to Christianity along trade routes, which, depending on the choice, will strengthen or weaken the conversion.

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Could there be a mission for the Chickasaw and Choctaw nations that unlocks the ability to search for the seven cities but instead of searching for those they seek the sacred leaning pole from their migration story and if found it could give a permanent +1 land leader maneuver to represent the creator guiding the general the right way through the pole.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hey,
Love to see smaller faiths get some love. Since religions are getting revamped I'll just ask, can we get some love for the Jewish faith?
I have 4 and a half easy ish ideas for how to fix up the religion without mechanics.
I'll post in the replies

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hey,
Love to see smaller faiths get some love. Since religions are getting revamped I'll just ask, can we get some love for the Jewish faith?
I have 4 and a half easy ish ideas for how to fix up the religion without mechanics.
I'll post in the replies
1. The easiest way is to just rename things. Jewish nations get the standard names (clergy, nobility) why not rename them to reflect the faith. Call the clergy the "Rabbinical Councel" or call the temples "synagogues" instead.
This would add some much needed flavor and be pretty easy

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hey,
I'll post in the replies
My second idea is too add a 3rd modifier to balance out the lack of mechanics.

Idea 2 and a half, instead of a 3rd modifier you could add a feature that all jewish nations gain a permanent claim on Jerusalem. This would make for interesting game play.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Idea 3. This is the hardest and might get broken into several comments (sorry in advance).
Make the faith more accessible. I know lots of people have asked for more Jewish provinces. Thats hard for historical reasons. But i found a province similar to salanik that could be done via event.

Idea 3. This is the hardest and might get broken into several comments (sorry in advance).
Make the faith more accessible. I know lots of people have asked for more Jewish provinces. Thats hard for historical reasons. But i found a province similar to salanik that could be done via event.
Province 261 (Helicz) in Southern Poland has a town in it called Kolomyia. Kolomyia has a long recorded jewish population dating back to the 1300s.
I would not think it was majority Jewish in 1444 but the census data from 1800s shows that the town is majority Jewish (couldn't find census befor the 1800s) but it is reasonably to assume that the population was still Jewish.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Province 261 (Helicz) in Southern Poland has a town in it called Kolomyia. Kolomyia has a long recorded jewish population dating back to the 1300s.
I would not think it was majority Jewish in 1444 but the census data from 1800s shows that the town is majority Jewish (couldn't find census befor the 1800s) but it is reasonably to assume that the population was still Jewish.
The point i would use for an event was the rebuilding of the town in 1629 (by this point it had had a long established jewish community) and the king reaffirmed the Jewish community's right to equality. It is likely some time around then that the town became majority Jewish. So you could rename the province or split the province into two and have the new Kolomyia province switch to jewish in the first half of the 1600s.