• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Wizzington

Game Director (Victoria 3)
Paradox Staff
41 Badges
Nov 15, 2007
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • March of the Eagles
  • Majesty 2
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Deus Vult
  • East India Company
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Prison Architect
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
Hello everyone and welcome back to yet another development diary for Europa Universalis 4. This marks the first of the dev diaries that will be discussing features from the upcoming but unannounced expansion. This diary in particular will focus on the Steppe Nomads, who are getting a whole host of new features as part of the paid expansion. There is currently no announced release or announcement date for 1.14 and its accompanying expansion.

Horde Unity (Expansion Feature)
First out of the new mechanics is Horde Unity. Horde Unity is unique to countries with the Steppe Nomads government form and replaces Legitimacy. It represents the amount of control the Khan has over the tribes, and decreases slowly over time. To maintain control over your Horde, you will need to placate them with the opportunity for plunder by invading other countries and looting their provinces. A high level of Horde Unity will increase Discipline and lower Unrest, while letting it drop will have the opposite effect and can also result in tribal rebels rising up to challenge the Khan. For those with the expansion, this mechanic also replaces the old Horde events that create Pretender rebels when you are at peace for too long. To prevent defeated hordes from falling into a death spiral and represent the tribes coming together in face of an external threat, Revanchism (a mechanic discussed in last week's dev diary) also increases Horde Unity.
R6gLM1s.png

Razing (Expansion Feature)
What would a Khan be without his pyramid of skulls? No kind of Khan at all! The Raze feature lets you bring out your inner Timur by razing conquered provinces to the ground. Razing can be done in any non-core province you own, and will lower that province's development by about 30%, down to a minimum of 1 in each development type. Each point of development razed gives you Monarch Power, with Base Tax giving Administrative Power, Production giving Diplomatic Power and Manpower giving Military Power, and also raises your Horde Unity significantly. Additionally, if there is loot left in the province, your razing troops will automatically grab it. The ability to accumulate Monarch Power by waging war allows Nomads a way to try and keep up in technology - or rush towards reform. Provinces can only be razed once every 30 years, as takes some time for a province to recover and build up a surplus of skulls for your next pyramid.
nsnm1uc.png

Tengri (Expansion Feature)
The Tengri faith added in 1.12 also gets some new mechanics in the expansion, with a focus on Syncretism. The Tengri nomads of the EU4 era lived alongside and frequently mixed their beliefs with Muslims, Buddhists and other religions. Our inspiration for this feature was Esen Taishi of the Oirats, who habitually changed his stated faith according to what was most diplomatically convenient at the time. Tengri countries have the ability to choose a Syncretic Faith, which can be any religion that they either own or border provinces following that religion. Having a Syncretic Faith changes which bonus you get from your religion, replacing the default Regiment Cost and Unrest reduction with something befitting your new Syncretic Faith. It also lets you treat all provinces you own of that faith as if they were Tengri for the purpose of tolerance and religious unity, but you will also be unable to convert those provinces to Tengri. Additionally, other countries following that faith will treat you as one of their own, meaning that an Oirat Horde that adopts Confucianism as their Syncretic Faith will find their Chinese neighbours to the south a good deal friendlier than they might otherwise be.

As there were not very many Tengri countries to choose from in 1.12 and 1.13, and Buddhist mechanics turned out to mesh poorly with always needing to be at war, we've changed the East Asian hordes to all be Tengri, with their previous religion set as their Syncretic Faith at the start of the game. Changing your Syncretic Faith costs 50 prestige.
5hnt4HK.png

uEnFKAN.png

In addition to the paid features, there is also a couple of free goodies that will be available to all aspiring Khans with the 1.14 patch.

Horde Units (Free Feature)
Part of the old philosophy for Hordes was 'adapt or die', meaning that a Horde that did not reform its government in time would fall hopelessly behind and be unable to defend itself against more modern states. For this reason, the Nomadic Technology Group were stuck with their starting units in 1444, and would not get new units no matter how far they progressed in technology. This has now been changed, with a whole new set of units created for nomads going all the way up the technology tree.
rjLw5GO.png

KDDsmQL.png

Returning and Selling Provinces (Free Feature)
As Nomads have no great attachment to land, we felt that it did not make sense for them to suffer a loss of face for giving it up. As such, Steppe Nomads will no longer take a prestige hit for selling and returning provinces.

That's all for today! Check in next week for a dev diary about Estates - and I'm not talking about the kind you build manors on.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Time to play as Horde when this will be released! :)
BTW, I don't understand how Syncretic Faith works.

Tengri countries can basically follow two religions, and you can pick your second one from any religion in provinces you own or border.

For example, if you are Manchu and set Confucianism as your Syncretic Faith, it means you get to treat all of China as though they were Tengri rather than Confucian, using the Tolerance of True Faith stat instead of Tolerance of Heathens. Countries that are Confucian will also act as you were Confucian yourself, with no relations penalties or increased aggression.

Reactions:
Time to play as Horde when this will be released! :)
BTW, I don't understand how Syncretic Faith works.

You select other faith to be syncretic with yours. (As in screen, Confucian for example). It will provide the benefit it states there (like -10% admin technology cost and -10% stability cost) and provinces of that faith will also count as your true faith. You can switch syncretic religion at any time for the cost of 50 prestige.

Tengri countries can basically follow two religions, and you can pick your second one from any religion in provinces you own or border.

For example, if you are Manchu and set Confucianism as your Syncretic Faith, it means you get to treat all of China as though they were Tengri rather than Confucian, using the Tolerance of True Faith stat instead of Tolerance of Heathens. Countries that are Confucian will also act as you were Confucian yourself, with no relations penalties or increased aggression.
Wiz, can we see Horde infantry units? And reforming will leave you in the nomad unit tech group, right?

New horde tactic: Raze all the things!

Reactions:
Wiz, can we see Horde infantry units? And reforming will leave the nomad unit tech group, right?

I'll add them to the DD, and yes.

Reactions:
Does this also apply to the HRE, if a horde chooses for example Catholicism as their syncretic religion. Will this allow for the horde to join the HRE and possibly even become the emperor?

EDIT: It also seems the sunni faith was buffed by giving it +10% trade efficiency instead of that useless chance of heir modifier. Nice job!

Reactions:
Oh this excites me. Hopefully the content pack that will no doubt come with it will also contain unit sprites for steppe hordes. Now I might actually get around to a Mongolia or Bukhara game.

Reactions:
Cool stuff! Finally I'm going to play an manchu tribe it seems! Is this also an opening to a future when everyone can sack provinces for a more brutal and dynamic world?

I knew there was a reason I haven't done a CK2 Mongol Empire -> EUIV game yet!

Those features for Horde sounds great!
Can't wait!

Though on Buddhism feature, I hope the high/low karma is changed to simply lost benefit instead of giving penalty...

Question about Tengri, will the syncretic option limited to Sunni, Confucian, and Vajrayana (as the picture suggest) or another religion (like Orthodox or Shamanist) can also be selected?

Check in next week for a dev diary about Estates
Is it time for Revolution? o_O

Reactions:
I'll add them to the DD, and yes.

You posted wrong screenshot I think. And because I think I worded it before editing it kinda strange - If I reform the government, I stay in Nomad tech unit group? (I assume your yes, means yes to that)

Razing seems like the new thing to do. How much points does it give exactly? As much as you raze? Lets say the first thing you do is invade Muscovy and raze everything, so thats maybe (I'm surely estimating horribly wrong now) around 50 development loss for Muscovy, does that mean you are getting 50 points or more?

Reactions:
You posted wrong screenshot I think. And because I think I worded it before editing it kinda strange - If I reform the government, I stay in Nomad tech unit group? (I assume your yes, means yes to that)

You change units if you reform.

Reactions:
Razing seems like the new thing to do. How much points does it give exactly? As much as you raze? Lets say the first thing you do is invade Muscovy and raze everything, so thats maybe (I'm surely estimating horribly wrong now) around 50 development loss for Muscovy, does that mean you arw gettig 50 points or more?

25 per development at the moment. All numbers can potentially change before release though.

Reactions: