• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Wizzington

Game Director (Victoria 3)
Paradox Staff
41 Badges
Nov 15, 2007
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • March of the Eagles
  • Majesty 2
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Deus Vult
  • East India Company
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Prison Architect
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
Hello everyone and welcome back to yet another development diary for Europa Universalis 4. Today's dev diary will be about two of the new features coming in the (as yet unannounced) expansion that we're working on, as well as a few additional goodies coming in the patch. So, without further ado:

Advanced Change Culture (Expansion Feature)
Currently, the change culture feature for EU4 is a bit limited. It only allows you to change a province to your primary culture, and does not care if that province is right next to your core lands, or way off on the other side of Siberia. The new expansion expands on this feature by giving you more options in what culture you want to change a province to. The options you have to choose from are as follows:
* Primary Culture: As before, you can choose to change a province to your primary culture. This is made 25% cheaper if the province borders any province of your primary culture.
* Adjacent Owned Culture: Instead of changing a province to your primary culture, you may choose to spread any adjacent owned culture there, whether that culture is accepted or not. For example, if you are playing as England and want to expand the Gascon culture so that it is easier to keep it as accepted, you could choose to replace the Basques in Labourd with Gascons instead of replacing them with Englishmen. This is 25% cheaper than a normal conversion (same as spreading adjacency primary culture).
* Original Culture: If a province has already been culture converted, and you want to bring the original culture of the province, you can now always do so (for example, restoring the Basques to Labourd after the Gascons forced them out in our example above). This is 50% cheaper than a normal culture conversion.

Those without the expansion will still only be able to change provinces to their primary culture, but will get the 25% adjacency discount.
RZ0AMhr.png

Name Your Heir (Expansion Feature)
Ever gotten that 0/0/0 heir and wished you could give him or her a suitably insulting name? With the new expansion, now you can! Whenever you get an heir whose name is not predefined by an event ('I shall name him Johan' etc), you will now get the option to name that heir. Of course, if you aren't feeling creative, there is a pre-selected name that you can simply choose instead of making up your own. But where's the fun in that?
1e8hQHd.png

Mercenary Rework (Free Feature)
Another change coming in the 1.14 patch is a change to mercenary support limits. The previous system had a 'mercenary pool' which would have a chance to replentish every day based on the size of your country, your available mercenaries modifier and your current number of mercenaries. This was a confusing and opaque system that was also made worse by the randomness of which type of mercenaries you'd get. This has now been scrapped and replaced with a much simpler system whereby each country has a mercenary support limit equal to 20 + 30% of their land forcelimit. The mercenary support limit simply determines how many mercenary regiments you can have under arms at any given time and is affected by the 'Available Mercenaries' modifier (which has been appropriately rebalanced). These mercenaries can be of any type and can all be recruited at once instead of having to wait for the pool to refill. Additionally, the Army Planner available to those with the Art of War expansion has been reworked to fit the new mechanics, replacing the 'Build All Mercenaries' button with the ability to put mercenary regiments into your templates.
MAa0fPk.png

KojmHxO.png

Blocking Canals (Free Feature)
Ever since we added canals in patch 1.6, we've had requests for the ability to restrict access to canals: After all, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense that you'd just let an enemy fleet sail right through your canal so that they can land troops in your colonies. Free in the 1.14 patch is a change to canals that will prevent anyone who is at war with the owner of the canal from moving their ships through it.

Well, that's all for today! Next week we'll be talking about the treatment of native populations and colonial warfare, but before I leave you I wanted to share some teasers from the reworked Random New World that I've been posting on my twitter, for those of you who might have missed them:
SuxWRkg.png

qOTCyxw.png

Last edited:
Reactions:
Wow, the culture conversion system looks really interesting. With those discounts, a strategy of discount-stacking might turn out to be good, especially if you have one in your natinal ideas (ie. Russia, who is already a prime candidate for religious ideas). Expanding adjacent owned culture looks amazing as well for getting good-sized cultures that are accepted.

Reactions:
Wow interesting changes! particularly the culture change. How will you rework the 'shortcut' interface? (The one accessible on the top left (Cant remember what its called))
The change to mercenaries is an interesting one too

Reactions:
Could you expand the culture change through a mod to involve sub-cultures or regional cultures? I remember in MEIOU how they have events making places like the Pontic coast Pontic, or Anatolia Cappadocian. Could you also have a culture change where instead of making it primary culture, you can expand it to any culture that is part of your culture group?

Reactions:
Just to check, does the "restore to original culture option" work even if the new culture in that province is a normally unconvertable culture (e.g. Austrian if Austria still exists)?

Reactions:
I fear that you are doing way to little with culture. Without also reworking the accepted cultures and cultural unions mechanics, any other changes to the system are bound to disappoint me.

The rest of the DD looks nice though!

Reactions:
Oh. I sorta hoped we were going to get rid of culture change all together (outside of colonisation) and just have a more advanced way of accepting cultures ... :(

Reactions:
The upgrade to culture conversion is welcome, if a bit conservative. However, I wish there was also a similar option with colonization. I'm referring primarily to colonization on your home continent.

For example, I'm playing a game as Kilwa, and I control most of the Horn of Africa. In that situation it'd be great if I could colonize the two uncolonized provinces with Somali culture instead of the primary Swahili culture. You'd have similar situations playing in Indonesia, Siberia and New World, or anywhere really.

Reactions:
That RNW pic :eek:
Progressively every feture you mentioned was better than the last. More or less.

This picture.

THIS PICTURE!!!

THIS PICTURE . . . . . .

Looks like an actual world.
The provinces look better to.
I am excited!

This is unusual this early on in proceedings.

Reactions:
Yes, changing our province to a different culture, thank you Wiz.
A question about naming your heir, it doesn't tell you if your heir is male or female. Can you provide us more information?

Reactions: