• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Wizzington

Game Director (Victoria 3)
Paradox Staff
41 Badges
Nov 15, 2007
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • March of the Eagles
  • Majesty 2
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Deus Vult
  • East India Company
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Prison Architect
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
Hello everyone and welcome back to yet another development diary for Europa Universalis 4. Today's topic is a couple of smaller features in The Cossacks expansion that aren't going to radically alter the game, but are nice from a convenience standpoint. We're also going to discuss some free interface improvements coming in the 1.14 patch.

Build Directly to Army/Navy (Expansion Feature)
As the name implies, build directly to army/navy is a convenience feature that lets you easily add new regiments to an army or navy directly from the unit interface. Let's say, for example, that your army of 20,000 infantry and 10,000 cannons was badly mauled in the last war and you've consolidated it down to 12,000 infantry and 8,000 cannons. Instead of having to setup a template for the specific amount of troops missing, or recruit and merge each regiment individually, you now simply click the 'build infantry' and 'build artillery' buttons the desired amount of times and the units will automatically build, travel to your army, and merge with it. You can also do this with trade/privateer/pirate hunting fleets, and the new light ships will automatically begin to patrol the same trade node with the same mission as their parent fleet.
t4ZZM2t.png

chSlUWJ.png

Construct in Subjects (Expansion Feature)
Construct in Subjects, once again, is precisely what it says on the tin: It lets you build armies and navies in your subjects' provinces, quite useful if for instance you want to raise an army in the new world but only have Colonial Nations there. Your subject is not able to cancel these constructions, and when finished, the army or ship will belong to you. You cannot construct units in a subject whose liberty desire is over 50%. Constructing units in your subjects takes slightly longer time than doing so in your own provinces.
OL0c7Hg.png

uljsKWb.png

Country View Improvements (Free Feature)
For patch 1.14, we've focused on improving some parts of the interface that we felt had become too cluttered or otherwise lacked badly needed usability features. The country view (the part of the interface you access when you click your country shield) in particular has gotten quite a bit of work. By reworking its layout and decor, we were able to create more space in the interface and use that space to unclutter and polish the interface. We also fixed some often complained about issues such as the mothball/unmothball all forts button not appearing in smaller resolutions.
YsLXjLJ.png

74M3TSH.png

TWdh5RH.png

Also related is a new addition to the country military interface: An 'automatically raise maintenance at war' checkbox. If enabled, your country will automatically raise army and navy maintenance and unmothball all forts when it joins a new war. This will only be done once per war, so if you immediately lower maintenance afterwards it won't raise it again unless you get dragged into yet another war.
i0Bo19Q.png

Macrobuilder Improvements (Free Feature)
Another interface that received some work is the macrobuilder interface. Similarly to the country view, it was widened and improved, with many of its tabs now displaying additional relevant information. The development macrobuilder in particular was substantially improved with the addition of coloring for the different development types that shows you the general effectiveness of raising that type of development in that particular province, taking into account factors such as local tax/production/manpower efficiency, value of trade goods (for production) and local autonomy. All columns have also been made sortable where it is relevant.
CYs0i6X.png

pCuhVK5.png

That's all for today! Next week we'll be talking about espionage and the distribution of spoils in war.

Reactions:
Looking good. We need an ETA on Cossacks!

Reactions:
Awesome.

Reactions:
I really like the feature to build armies overseas and not having to ship them half around the world for a possible colonial, which might or might not happen.

Reactions:
As the name implies, build directly to army/navy is a convenience feature that lets you easily add new regiments to an army or navy directly from the unit interface. Let's say, for example, that your army of 20,000 infantry and 10,000 cannons was badly mauled in the last war and you've consolidated it down to 12,000 infantry and 8,000 cannons. Instead of having to setup a template for the specific amount of troops missing, or recruit and merge each regiment individually, you now simply click the 'build infantry' and 'build artillery' buttons the desired amount of times and the units will automatically build, travel to your army, and merge with it. You can also do this with trade/privateer/pirate hunting fleets, and the new light ships will automatically begin to patrol the same trade node with the same mission as their parent fleet.

Really nice for army, but the new ships in what province were build? Do you prioritize provinces with shipyard or the first province near the fleet?

Reactions:
booting my pc and seeign that this was released just in time is always nice

i second the ETA on cossacks request. i finished all my current campaigns, and knwoign wether it'll take more than a month or if it's coming really soon really changes wether i'll start a new big one or if i'll do some smaller objectives instead.

Reactions:
Nice, thanks for posting new diary. I will defenitely buy The Cossacks, however, it seems at least surprising to me that the first mentioned feature (building directly to army) is going to be expansion-only. Basically, it's just another interface upgrade (which adds nothing to gameplay) and I thought that such upgrades always would be included into free patches.

Reactions:
Really nice for army, but the new ships in what province were build? Do you prioritize provinces with shipyard or the first province near the fleet?

It looks at both distance and efficiency of the province.

Reactions:
Nice, thanks for posting new diary. I will defenitely buy The Cossacks, however, it seems at least surprising to me that the first mentioned feature (building directly to army) is going to be expansion-only. Basically, it's just another interface upgrade (which adds nothing to gameplay) and I thought that such upgrades always would be included into free patches.

This is not an interface upgrade, this is addition of functionality.

Reactions:
Will 1.13 saves be compatible with 1.14?

Also will those country view improvements include sorting out overseas provinces? For example I often find myself wanting to spend some mana in random province when I'm ahead of time. I don't want to develop overseas, but in order to ensure that I have to specifically look at what I'm developing instead of just clicking the cheapest province. That's why I'd appreciate being able to sort overseas out somehow. Something similar to how you culture convert? First you have unaccepted cultures sorted for you by cost, then you get accepted ones or those of your culture group but not primary.

Reactions:

Sounds great. I assume provinces to build in are chosen to minimize recruitment + travel time? How about cost if it differs between provinces? Will the army be normally movable, splittable etc. while waiting? Also, is it possible to buy mercs into the army?

Construct in Subjects, once again, is precisely what it says on the tin

Actually, based on what it says on the tin I would have assumed constructing building in subjects. Any plans for that?

Reactions:
Hey look, combat width.

@Wiz How come there is no icon on the tech screen for when espionage actions are unlocked?

Because espionage actions are not unlocked by tech.

Reactions: