• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
When you say "...the Burghers seizing power can result in a fragmented nation of virtually independent city-states." What would that mean gameplay-wise? Would the country literally fragment into client state type countries or would it be something like autonomy in all provinces going up?

Reactions:
Why disable factions for Merchant Republics?

I liked that mechanic.

Can't we have both?

Reactions:
We've discussed the idea and like it, so possibly.

Why are peasants not included for all countries? They were a huge force at least in Western Europe. Surely not "organized" like the Nobility can be but riots and revolts gave them some influence over the aristocracy.

By the way, I'm super excited about this mechanics! Great idea!

Reactions:
Eastern technology group countries that control Steppe territory will get Cossacks as an Estate, and Muslim countries will get a special called Dhimmi that represents something like the Millet system practiced in the Ottoman Empire.
Does that mean that a westernized Poland (or Commonwealth) or Russia, lose the Cossacks, or is intended as country starting in the group, like it is for military units?

Anyway, what an interesting novelty!!!

Reactions:
This expansion is going to be the best one so far! All I'm missing yet is Victoria's (II) population managment of provinces and overall country. I understood it may cause problems but nobody expected estates and there will have it. EU4 mixed with VIC2 is my dream come true. :)

Reactions:
Parliament is not the same thing as the nobility. Clergymen sat in the house of Lords and there was a House of Commons for the Burghers.

Why are peasants not included for all countries? They were a huge force at least in Western Europe. Surely not "organized" like the Nobility can be but riots and revolts gave them some influence over the aristocracy.

They were a force, but not a estate. The French Estates General didn't invite them.

Reactions:
great work.

It would give a lot of flavour to the gameplay if these fractions liked or not WARS that the government declared.

sliders next to numbers would be more perceptible

Which aspects of the game will be connected with it? some units picking?, some ideas groups choicing?, governments?, some CB?, some diplomatic actions?, buildings?, MISSIONS?

Last edited:
Reactions:
Parliament is not the same thing as the nobility. Clergymen sat in the house of Lords and there was a House of Commons for the Burghers.

They were a force, but not a estate. The French Estates General didn't invite them.

They did invite them :) The third Estate regrouped burghers and peasants. In reality, most delegates were learned people but peasants did vote for their delegates and they redacted the "cahiers de doléances" (requests/complaints).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estates_of_the_realm#Kingdom_of_France

Reactions:
Will the demand for power be different in different government types? Like in a feudal monarchy the nobles and the clergy demand much more from you than what the burghers will. Maybe even powerful estates reforming your goverment type, but not necessarily between from monarchy to republic or the other way around.

Reactions:
I'm worried. This could be the feature to make EU4 into a great game, rather than the Hungry Hungry Hippo simulator it is now... and it is DLC. I fear it will fall on mods to turn it into its full potential; either that, or make vanilla borderline unplayable without it.

Reactions:
Sliders but in a more interactive and fluid way. Looks brilliant, I'm looking forward to see how it plays out.

Reactions:
Will Estates function differently based things like government type? Say a Feudal Monarchy would have to provide more lands for the nobility, for example?

Yes, governments will influence the way estates work.

Reactions:
Estates are for nearly all countries, countries with Parliaments do not have the Nobility estate though.

That would seem somewhat problematic for monarchies with parliament, given that the aristocracy had controlled levers of power and practically dominated the English/British Parliament, even including the House of Commons through rotten boroughs, until the Reform Act of 1832. Gameplay-wise, though, perhaps this was designed to balance between parliament and estates?

Is it possible that granting too much power to 1 state in 1 region of your country make them rebel and declare independence. And depending of which state was the ruling one become a Theocracy, Republic or Kingdom? (if they have a majority culture different from the primary culture of the country)?

Reactions: