• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Any cance we might randomize the etnire world? With dynamic nations of course.
Aso I'm guessing the RNW won't work with any kind of exporter in the future?

Will fantasy scenarios be Ironman compatible? Will it be possible to play as a fantasy scenario? Generate new worlds till you find one with Vinland for instance and play as it?

Keep in mind Ironman is playable regardless of checksum now. RNW is achievments compatible with all non new world dependent achievements.

Reactions:
Just a quick question that seems important:

Will special high american tech countries have predetermined nation ideas/idea choices? Or will they be random? It would be really disappointing to find the Crimson Empire with +30% spy defense, going diplomatic arisocratic espionage innovative.

Randomly generated, I'm going to look into adding weighting to make more appropriate idea sets in the future.

Reactions:
Note that just PLAYING WITH the RNW will not change your checksum, it's only if you add more tiles or modify existing scenarios, etc.

Reactions:
If one of the fantasy nations with high tech appears, will other new world nations with more traditional tech levels be able to "westernise" off of them? Or will they still be stuck waiting for the Europeans?

Reactions:
If one of the fantasy nations with high tech appears, will other new world nations with more traditional tech levels be able to "westernise" off of them? Or will they still be stuck waiting for the Europeans?

I think you can westernize off of High American culture, which probably leads to interesting scenarios if the colonizers are a bit late.

Reactions:
so an island off the coast of West Africa will naturally connect to the Ivory coast, while any landmass appearing near Australia will be able to send trade down under.

So does this mean I can create a custom nation in Australia and try to 'out' colonise the old world?

I like this :D

Its the featrue I want in this free patch, "the new random new world" my first game will be with a native :)
And thanks for have boosted them :) (Though I hope in the future you will rework westernization because right now its either you're lucky you're not eaten and you can westernize or you're destroyed by all the colonisers at the same time and so no westernization at all)

Now wait and see for 1.14

That looks really awesome. Thanks for the rework :)

Looks hot and that's despite my initial skepticism towards RNW. Maybe because of how old RNW looked like :D

Is there an opton of NO RNW? I mean, exactly that: no Americas and nothing replacing them, so Columbus can sail straight to China?

Probably not because that'd require decreasing map size (or placing some blank islands to allow on traversing gigantic Super Pacific Ocean) but that'd be intriguing.

Can't wait to see patch notes... You sure can't post them on Monday? :D

Reactions:
The dynamic trade node thingy is all I always wanted.

Man, the next multiplayer game with my friends is gonna be interesting. Looking forward to it.

Looks hot and that's despite my initial skepticism towards RNW. Maybe because of how old RNW looked like :D

Is there an opton of NO RNW? I mean, exactly that: no Americas and nothing replacing them, so Columbus can sail straight to China?

Probably not because that'd require decreasing map size (or placing some blank islands to allow on traversing gigantic Super Pacific Ocean) but that'd be intriguing.

Can't wait to see patch notes... You sure can't post them on Monday? :D

No, but you could pretty easily make a 18x16 (whole RNW) tile with just a few islands on it.

Reactions:
No, but you could pretty easily make a 18x16 (whole RNW) tile with just a few islands on it.

Thanks, that's cool. I'm wondering how would the world's balance turn out with no New World's gold coming to Western Europe. Maybe they'd go to India...

Reactions:

I'm intrigued by the "columbus was right"-scenario, where the world is a lot smaller and you can actually sail west to find china at the distance we currently find Mexico. This would require the map to be smaller in width. This will not be possible with your current code, but how difficult would it be? Would it mean a complete rewrite and checking the entire source code, or just a few defines and a map?

Instead of reusing the old trade nodes and trying to place them geographically where they are in the old new world (which frequently ended up completely bonkers), we decided to generate trade nodes roughly based on regions, with dynamically generated connections that flow to Europe, Africa and Asia based on what makes sense geographically - so an island off the coast of West Africa will naturally connect to the Ivory coast, while any landmass appearing near Australia will be able to send trade down under.
So will the number of RNW trade nodes vary depending on which tiles get used?

Reactions:
Awesome Dev Diary
I would also support possible scenarios where there is NO LARGE CONTINENT.
Perhaps some large empty ocean only landmasses could be added as "continents" before release, so the map could be auto populated with just small islands