• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Wizzington

Game Director (Victoria 3)
Paradox Staff
41 Badges
Nov 15, 2007
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • March of the Eagles
  • Majesty 2
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Deus Vult
  • East India Company
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Prison Architect
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
Hello everyone and welcome back to yet another development diary for Europa Universalis 4. Today's topic is a few more minor features coming in The Cossacks expansion, including two new subject interactions.

Threaten War (Expansion Feature)
Threaten War is a new diplomatic interaction that allows you to threaten another nation with war over any province that you have a core or a claim on. If they accept, you take over the province, and gain a 5-year truce with them, whereas if they refuse, you will automatically declare war for that province. You cannot threaten war against a nation that you have a truce with.
MjbeObF.png

Grant Province (Expansion Feature)
As you might have guessed, Grant Province allows you grant a province to a subject. This interaction lets you give any province to a subject, if that province is adjacent to the subject's lands or within one seazone of the subject's lands. Any core you have on the province will go along with the grant, and the subject will receive a reduction in liberty desire based on the amount of development granted.
fXwttbs.png

Grant Core/Claim (Expansion Feature)
Similar to grant province, but instead of granting one of your provinces you may grant a core or a claim you have on another nation's province, allowing that province to be more easily taken for the subject. Granting a core or a claim does not decrease the subject's liberty desire.
0xPQCrB.png

That's it for today! This dev diary wraps up the last of the paid features in the Cossacks expansion, so next week we'll be talking about some things that are coming in the free 1.14 patch.

Reactions:
Thank you! Interesting additions.

Nothing major, but nice additions. I was getting tired of having to take a prestige hit through sell province to give my vassals more land.

Reactions:
Be the screen it looks like you will know if a demand province will be accepted or not. If you can affored the agressive expansion and don't plan to go to war for 5 years are there any downside to spamming this?

I imagine Ottomans might begin all games by demanding back provinces from the Beyliks, they have plenty of other things to take for 5 years until they come back and pick the last province from everyone.

Reactions:
But this will make it so that you can gain large amounts of lands without even having to fight for it. It makes sense, but at the same time it weakens the smaller nations.

No more to write about I guess.

@Wiz , does the 'Threaten War' action only works with a single claim at a time or will you be able to receive more then one province?

Hopefully only one..

Reactions:
But this will make it so that you can gain large amounts of lands without even having to fight for it. It makes sense, but at the same time it weakens the smaller nations.

Hopefully only one..
Give us one or we go to war and (probably) get more. Fair enough. If you want more from the start - you just go to war instead of threatening.

Reactions:
Not much left to write about I guess.

@Wiz , does the 'Threaten War' action only works with a single claim at a time or will you be able to receive more then one province?

Threaten War is a new diplomatic interaction that allows you to threaten another nation with war over any province that you have a core or a claim on. If they accept, you take over the province, and gain a 5-year truce with them, whereas if they refuse, you will automatically declare war for that province.

I think it's quite clear that you're threatening war over that province and if you get that province, you get a 5-year truce, and since you can't threaten war when you have a truce, it's only for one province.

Reactions:
Am I correct in assuming that an OPM will never give in to a threat of war? (since they would cease to exist)

Will the AI be more inclined to agree with a threat of war if the province's religion is a heresy/heathen of the AI and culture is not accepted?

Is is easier to threaten for overseas provinces?

Does the distance matter? Can Russia threaten Aztecs successfully provided they somehow manage to get a claim? Is a direct border or shared seazone with the province in question required? (like if you have some old claim but lost a local foothold)

Interesting times indeed :)

Reactions:
Grant Province (Expansion Feature)
As you might have guessed, Grant Province allows you grant a province to a subject. This interaction lets you give any province to a subject, if that province is adjacent to the subject's lands or within one seazone of the subject's lands. Any core you have on the province will go along with the grant, and the subject will receive a reduction in liberty desire based on the amount of development granted.

Do I need to core the province before granting it, else the vassal will take only claimed or accepted culture provinces, or will I be able to grant whichever land I want?

Reactions:
I guess one province will weight much more the fewer provinces the threatened country has, to the point where they would only accept to give half of their lands away when the only alternative is likely annexation or vassallization of the remaining half in a war.
Similarly, I am also assuming that weak, relatively big blobs bordering scary superpowers (Hordes in my mind, after Russia gets going) would be quite liberal at accepting threats. The "value balance" system easily allows for this.

My question on this is, will the AE be the same/more/less than if you took the province in a war?

Reactions: