• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I guess I'm in a minority, but sandbox-style features like custom nations and random new world appeal to me. A lot. A LOT.

Reactions:
Great DD! Good to see feedback on issues.

I really hope you guys get back around to Random New World. I like alternative history, and whenever EU4 gets something like that implemented, the game's replayability and quality skyrocket for me.

I always thought the RNW stuff looked a bit... odd. Never stopped me from using it when I wanted to, but I definitely look forward to whatever you guys may have planned for it in the future.

Reactions:
I always thought that the lakes were supposed to look like that in-game lol :D But the new ones look much nicer i have to say, so good job on that!

As for the Random New World - i've never understood the appeal of that, to me this is the most pointless feature that i have not used once nor do i plan to so for all i care you can just remove it from the game. :)
Same thing with custom nations.

Reactions:
It's very nice to hear that the Random New World might get a makeover. It was one of the features I was most looking forward to, but its final form is just too...off to be enjoyed. Getting an updated one that can create a believable New World would be awesome.

Reactions:
Interesting diary. It reminds me of post-mortem DD of CK2 although there were few. Out of curiosity, do you collect other data than just the country played?

I would really love a reworked random new world and enjoy playing with it, unlike now. That's a feature I liked a lot in Civ, it made exploration much more meaningful.

Fun Fact of the Day!
Did you know that the most popular player nation (measured by number of campaigns started) in EU4 is to play a Custom Nation? It is closely followed by England, France and Castile. Of the top 10 played nations, the only (non-custom) one that isn't in the 'Interesting Nations' in 1444 is Brandenburg. It appears that our Byzantine fans have nothing on the lovers of Prussia.

Interesting. Do you have any data on the least popular player nations? Do you have any data on campaigns finished, and if so, are there any countries that have never been fully played to 1820?

Reactions:
It would have been nice to see this level of openness about the quality of the random new world when CoP was released, rather than so many months later.

We have not done DDs like this at all before last week's, it's a new thing.

Reactions:
Is not popular because is unplayable. Give them fort 4 in Constantinople and you'll see a change

This is perhaps the silliest post I've seen on this forum, and I've seen a lot of silly posts on this forum.

Reactions:
Is not popular because is unplayable. Give them fort 4 in Constantinople and you'll see a change
I seriously doubt the most of the userbase will even notice that any time soon after the change much less take it into consideration when choosing.

I completely agree with what you said about random new world, it was unnatural. It would be great to have realistic looking continents. Also, the spawning of native Americans is not so good in my opinion, I think it could be made more random and spread out. :)

Reactions:
Maybe also put Constantinople with dev level 100, and giving them a 50k army, with a 50 galleys navy... Anything completely ahistorical that could portrait a super-byzantium that at 1444 was on it's knees paying vassalage to the Ottos and asking for approval on who should be the Emperor.

Reactions:
Maybe also put Constantinople with dev level 100, and giving them a 50k army, with a 50 galleys navy... Anything completely ahistorical that could portrait a super-byzantium that at 1444 was on it's knees paying vassalage to the Ottos and asking for approval on who should be the Emperor.

50 galleys is nothing, Ottomans can get much bigger navy very fast. Make it 300 at least.

Reactions:
I think the way to think of Byzantium is that it is a country that everyone who puts some time in EU4 will inevitably play.

Okey, the most obvious reason most people play the major countries is because of new players. That's fine and good.

Byzantium is not unplayed though. Most people will not inevitably play small German minor or small Asian countries or tribes (although it is very good to have them there). Everyone will at some point think "what about Byzantium".

So it might not be a popular start but it is a start mostly everyone will eventually pick.

Also, the fact that it (used to?) be hard as balls discouraged multiple playthroughs.

Reactions:
What % of CoP owners play with random new world checked?
I'd think that most people don't plau with it on, at least I don't. I once payed a native campaign with it on, but I feel like many people don't use it because of the issues that where listed above, but that might just be me ;-)

Reactions: