• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thank you Wiz, it's really nice to have this sort of insight into the development process, and is certainly something many of us have been looking forward to. As for the Random New World feature, one thing I wonder is, would it be a viable solution to change the map generation from being fully and only randomly generated to also being able to pick from a number of handcrafted landmasses? Not saying that that's a solution you guys should implement, but I can see it as an interesting idea, for modding and whatnot.

I know this is one person's opinion, but I'd be okay with EUIV saving a new provinces map in the savegames folder on the first generation of the RNW if that meant having quicker load times after each subsequent load of the savegame. In other words, I'd be okay with a 10-min generation time so long as it happened once. Not sure if it is possible, but there you go.

Reactions:
I know this is one person's opinion, but I'd be okay with EUIV saving a new provinces map in the savegames folder on the first generation of the RNW if that meant having quicker load times after each subsequent load of the savegame. In other words, I'd be okay with a 10-min generation time so long as it happened once. Not sure if it is possible, but there you go.

I second that. I'd rather wait for 10 minutes to have a richly generated New World than not playing with RNW because of its current lacklusterness.

Reactions:
I second that. I'd rather wait for 10 minutes to have a richly generated New World than not playing with RNW because of its current lacklusterness.
Reading more of the thread, though, it seems we might not be in luck - someone else essentially suggested the same thing as me and was told it doesn't work with the engine as-is.

Thank you Wiz for letting us take a look at the development process. I've never played with Random New World so I don't know how that usually works out.

Reactions:
Great to hear these things are under consideration, hotjoin is such a core feature for a lot of us! Could we be seeing 1.13 as a free quality of life patch as has become the trend?

Also, whatever happened to Johans intermittent data dumps from the stuff you collect? I found them really interesting!

Have you ever thought about designing 5 or so pre-made 'new world' maps? So instead of it being randomly generated the game will chose one of the 5 (or more) maps to use in the new world. That way the terrain could be better but there'd be less of a surprise. I'd be happy with that

Reactions:
I played on the random new world once, and it was exactly what was said; lackluster. I liked that is was totaly different from the real world and I had trouble finding it in the first place.
But when you looked closer, you saw massive islands with only 1 province, round or square provinces, unlogical trade nodes and strange sea zone placement. The worst was a seazone that was on both sides of a panama like province, allowing me to sail THROUGH the continent instead of around.
If only it was more "real" with proper provinces and such I would probably pick it every game. I even wouldnt mind a 10 minute generation time, its a concious choice to go for a random new world.

Reactions:
Yeah to be clear, there's basically nothing we can do with the RNW implementation as-is. No matter how we want to improve it, improving it more than marginally requires a total rework. We know exactly how we *want* to rework it, it's a matter of finding the time. If/when we do end up being able to do it, I'll do a whole DD on it at some point.

Reactions:
I'd love to keep the lakes how they are. I feel like it gives it something special and it always makes me smile to see them.

Reactions:
Out of curiosity, Wiz, is Ming at the top 10? They're the most accessible country upon game start, considering their name placement.
No they're not. You have to scroll the map or pick one of the alternative bookmarks to see them :)

Reactions:
People dont like random, they want to start with a historical setup and only then throw in randomness.

Yeah, that's why custom nation is the top choice.

I'm one of those who do like to just go with the historical setup, but I don't kid myself that everyone's the same.

Reactions:
I'd play Byzantine more if it didn't involve gaming the system heavily and abusing certain mechanics/restarting constantly.

What's the most popular non-european country? Most popular horde? Most popular Manchu tribe? Most popular Native tribe? Most popular siberian clan?
You have to be gamey and abuse mechanics if you want to start with a nation that has a death sentence.

Reactions:
It would have been nice to see this level of openness about the quality of the random new world when CoP was released, rather than so many months later.