• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In my opinion, instead of the random new world generator, it would have probably been better for everyone to hire someone to design alternative new worlds and sell them in DLC. Coherent map with no pre-generation for us and more money for you.

Reactions:
This is a suggestion, but it could work.

Why not give modders a shot at fixing the random world generator? Make a contest out if it and find a good reward for the one that does it best. I think that might be the best way to get something that works I think there is plenty of demand for it and there might be some interest in doing it too. (though I am not a modder myself)

That would be like -50 prestige drop!

Reactions:
Reactions:
This is a suggestion, but it could work.

Why not give modders a shot at fixing the random world generator? Make a contest out if it and find a good reward for the one that does it best. I think that might be the best way to get something that works I think there is plenty of demand for it and there might be some interest in doing it too. (though I am not a modder myself)

This is an entirely unworkable plan for a lot of reasons.

Reactions:
Fun Fact of the Day!
Did you know that the most popular player nation (measured by number of campaigns started) in EU4 is to play a Custom Nation? It is closely followed by England, France and Castile. Of the top 10 played nations, the only (non-custom) one that isn't in the 'Interesting Nations' in 1444 is Brandenburg. It appears that our Byzantine fans have nothing on the lovers of Prussia.
I can say that, as a player with something like 800 hours, I've played more than half of them with Byzantium, but actually started as them only once. I mostly re-established the empire via decision, and I suspect many other "byzantophiles" do the same. Of course it's not impossible, but Byzantium starting position is hard, while starting as Venice, Aragon or Naples and re-establishing gives the player a stronger start and western tech (not to mention western units type).

Reactions:
Yey, hotjoin is on the agenda, going to make a lot of MP people happy.

If you are working on a completely new random new world from the ground up, does that open the potential for a fully random old world as well? With the ability to have random nations generated across the world and province development being a thing, it seems like it might be possible?

Reactions:
Byzantium is just not a very popular country, seriously. It has a devoted fanbase, but small and vocal only seems larger than it actually is.

Reactions:
I'd play Byzantine more if it didn't involve gaming the system heavily and abusing certain mechanics/restarting constantly.

What's the most popular non-european country? Most popular horde? Most popular Manchu tribe? Most popular Native tribe? Most popular siberian clan?

Reactions:
As someone who loves pouring over data, it would be awesome to see a graph of every country at the 1444 start that people play. I started playing this game moments after general release, I feel like I was amongst the handful of non-testers who picked Norway first, seeing data like which country is the least played would appeal to me (but yeah, I read you have other so I'm sure you don't keep such specifics)

Reactions:
Except... RNW only works until it doesn't. There are tons of posts out there about the RNW reverting to the "real world" upon loading the game. I had this happen to me, which is what led to searching the 'net.

There is no recourse--your game is effed unless you continue with the non-random world, but then you have some very weird results. For example, Castille having colonized land in the middle of North American with no one nearby, etc.

Anecdotally, this happened to me in my Inca achievement run.

We know how we would handle it if we were to do it all over again, but the current implementation does not support such a solution and it would have to be remade from scratch up, as the dev diary says.

I love the idea of a randomized new world, but after one initial game with it, I couldn't do it again because of the way the random landmasses looked. It brings me untold joy to hear you guys are considering looking at it again. Here's hoping...

Reactions:
Wait are those numbers all time or just since custom nations were released?

If it is all time that is a huge upset for custom nations to dethrone all of the other states that have had quite a head start.

Reactions: