• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
STATS FOR THE STATS GOD!!!

Aka...if you could provide us with any more statistics about how people are playing the game in future dev diaries than that would be really cool.

Reactions:
MP. I plan to add an option to enable it.
Are you mayhaps planning to divorce the „paint the wastelands“ option from defines.lua?

Add me to the list of people who would like to see the RNW reworked, I used it all the time until 1.8 when the map was enhanced with hundreds of new provinces, but the RNW remained the same.

I don't think you should worry too much about it taking too long to load or whatever, since 1.8 basically made the game unplayable in old PCs anyway.

but we still have to prioritize fixes to new features over old ones. We'll get there though.

I'm a bit confused by this. It's not that I disagree with it, it's just that I don't understand it - I can think of a few reasons for fixing newer stuff first, but none of them really strike me as coercive enough. It seems to me that fixing, say those high-altitude lakes (just as an example) should be done before adding more stuff that could bring about new problems. So, could you elaborate on why it's necessary to fix newer stuff before going back to older stuff? Or was this just in regard to the Hotjoin function?

I totally like the ongoing support and the expansions that you put together and can understand that there's only a finite number of work that can be done, but how do you decide whether something should be fixed before working on a new feature or if it can be ignored for the time being?

Reactions:
I vote we have another "slice in the world" just like the one that's between Siberia and Aleut.

That's a straight line all the way down AFAIK (to my explorers to date)

Put one through Greenland, with the original "line in the sand" so to speak through the Kamchatka peninsula. Then everything between the two slices is one of 100 pre-generated maps. There will be an achievement called "It's A Small World After All" where Columbus or his equivalent discovers Ming and Japan instead (Africa's west side borders Polynesia) which will induce mad restarts as Portugal trying to get that one map with nothing there... lol.

Reactions:
When it comes to RNW I think it would be nice for the player to have some more optional control :
*distance to Europe
*distance to asia
*size
*cohesiveness

I think the devs should look at the random map script mods for civ 4 and 5. Some of them produce beautiful maps.

I'd also be interested in knowing how many games are played outside Europe.

Is today National Byzantine Butthurt Day, or did I miss the memo? NO YOU'RE WRONG BYZ IS MOST POPULAR EVER. IF DATA SAYS OTHERWISE DATA IS WRONG.

Whether 100% of players have raced to build galleys in order to cheese the AI into getting trapped on the wrong continent, or whether you're the only person in history to have thought of that... what does that change about your enjoyment of the game?

Reactions:
I'm a bit confused by this. It's not that I disagree with it, it's just that I don't understand it - I can think of a few reasons for fixing newer stuff first, but none of them really strike me as coercive enough. It seems to me that fixing, say those high-altitude lakes (just as an example) should be done before adding more stuff that could bring about new problems. So, could you elaborate on why it's necessary to fix newer stuff before going back to older stuff? Or was this just in regard to the Hotjoin function?

I totally like the ongoing support and the expansions that you put together and can understand that there's only a finite number of work that can be done, but how do you decide whether something should be fixed before working on a new feature or if it can be ignored for the time being?

We have to release expansions every so often in order to continue to develop the game. I consider releasing fully working new features that do not grow the backlog more important than chipping away at old bugs, though we certainly do the latter as well. Bugs in new features having higher priority does not mean every new bug has higher prio than an old one, of course. An old CTD is far more important than a new typo.

Reactions:
We have to release expansions every so often in order to continue to develop the game. I consider releasing fully working new features that do not grow the backlog more important than chipping away at old bugs, though we certainly do the latter as well. Bugs in new features having higher priority does not mean every new bug has higher prio than an old one, of course. An old CTD is far more important than a new typo.
Hey Wiz are we getting any new Religions for the Nation Designer? I am still waiting for my Hellenic :(

Reactions:
Pretty sure you'll be waiting on that one until you decide to mod it in. Or convince someone else to do so.
It is on the CK2 converter that is why I ask; now if I was asking for Egyptian paganism now that would be outside of the realm of reality lol (altho I would LOVE if they implemented it)

I've always thought a real fun mod would be one that has editted the RNW to a high quality standard. But currently I haven't been able to work out how to get the map files from the saves

I've always thought a real fun mod would be one that has editted the RNW to a high quality standard. But currently I haven't been able to work out how to get the map files from the saves

I always got the impression that the RNW didn't save the whole map off, just the requisite seeding and generation information (thus why every re-load of a RNW game goes through some map-gen steps as it starts).

Do you guys plan the expansions all ahead of time and release them every couple of months? If so, how do you guys come up with what order of content to give?

You stated a long time ago that HRE, north Italy, and East Europe were the focus of Common Sense and therefore reworked and the province count increased. Indirectly it was hinted that the rest of Europe wasn't the scope at the moment. Does this mean we can further see province count increase in Iberia, France, UK/Ireland, Scandinavia?

I also feel Italy could do with a few more provinces: Splitting Novara in half to make Novara (north) and Alessandria (south). And splitting Romagna in two as well, with Bologna (west) and Cesena (east). Also Benevento is missing. It was an important independent enclave in Naples (there is plenty of space to add it). Nice was also independent at the time as a vassal of Savoy. Finally, Rome is kind of big, maybe you could split the north part of it and create Viterbo, a low developed agricultural province?

I always got the impression that the RNW didn't save the whole map off, just the requisite seeding and generation information (thus why every re-load of a RNW game goes through some map-gen steps as it starts).
I seem to recall(not sure since I can't find anything on it) someone made a mod that had RNW as detailed as can be. Took half an hour to generate and to load the save on high end machines.

Last edited:
you say randomly generated new world looks bad
what about the real new world? it look more unrealistic than the ones generated by the game

Reactions: