• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Wizzington

Game Director (Victoria 3)
Paradox Staff
41 Badges
Nov 15, 2007
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • March of the Eagles
  • Majesty 2
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Deus Vult
  • East India Company
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Prison Architect
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
Hello everyone and welcome back to yet another development diary for Europa Universalis 4. TodayAn's dev diary is the second in our two-parter about patch 1.15, which is a bugfixing and balancing patch that is planned to come out before the end of January.

Changes to Hordes
The Horde features from The Cossacks were positively received, with players finding them extremely fun to play, but finding them rather unbalanced. Specifically, razing allowed hordes to gain a net balance of monarch points from conquering and stay at the bleeding edge of technology until the very end of the game, making reforming out of a horde a dubious idea at best. We spent some time thinking about how to best 'nerf' hordes without taking the fun out of them, and eventually settled on a slew of changes.

First, we reworked horde autonomy:
  • Nomads no longer have minimum autonomy in non-Tribe provinces, but government form bonuses to manpower and forcelimits were reduced.
  • Nomadic Tribes estate no longer gains influence from 'Number of Cities', instead they expect control of more territory in a larger horde.
What this means is that smaller hordes are more efficient than before both economically and militarily, but become increasingly inefficient as they grow and the Tribes demand more and more land.

Second, razing received several tweaks:
  • The amount of power gained from razing now decreases by 4% per military tech level above 3, up to a maximum of -80% (5 power per development).
  • Razing a province now increases unrest in that province by +10 for 10 years. The increased unrest is removed if the province is sold or given away.
  • Added -25 opinion modifier when razing province with countries that have core on that province.
These changes mean that razing has more negative effects, especially when you're razing territories that you intend to keep and core, and also that the effectiveness of razing tapers off as time goes on and armies become more professional, to the point where you'll likely want to reform your government once you hit a certain size

Finally, we decided to change the nomad shock damage bonus around a bit, to make nomads more consistently powerful on flat terrain but penalize them for pushing deep into terrain that is unsuitable for cavalry:
  • Nomads now get +25% shock damage on all flat terrain (instead of just own provinces), but -25% shock damage on non-flat terrain.
gXaIiQV.png

Spread of Discoveries
Another area that has received quite a bit of work in 1.15 is the spread of discoveries system. The old system, which was based on technology group and religion and would spread provinces one at a time, was extremely messy code architecture wise and poorly understood, and its strict adherence to tech group would frequently lead to odd situations when custom nations came into play. We have replaced it with a new region-based system, where discovery spreads in whole regions based entirely on scripted triggers, allowing both us and modders full control of when they want a certain discovery to spread. For example, knowledge of the French Region will spread to a country if any of the following are true:
- That country or its overlord has discovered any one province in the French region at least 20 years ago.
- Any country in the French region has discovered their own capital region at least 30 years ago.
- Any neighbouring country in the same culture or religion group has discovered any one province in the French region at least 75 years ago.
- The starting date is 1700 or later, and their capital is not in Africa.
- The starting date is 1750 or later.

As part of this, we have also removed the tiny (and little known of) prestige bonus for being the first in your tech group discovering provinces, and replaced it with a larger bonus (along with a message telling you that you got it) for being the first in a tech group discovering a whole region.

UI Improvements
It wouldn't be an EU4 patch without UI improvements, would it now? We have a whole slew of them coming, so I thought I'd go over some of the larger ones. First off, we have the addition of a 'modifiers view' in the government screen. In this view you can see the sum of all modifiers currently affecting your country, and by hovering over a particular modifier, where that sum is coming from.
aIr4nkI.png

The mapmodes interface, which was already greatly improved in 1.14, has received another upgrade. Instead of each of the 10 primary mapmode mode slots only holding a single mapmode, you are now able to store multiple mapmodes in each slot, and switch quickly between them by pressing that mapmode button or its associated hotkey. For example, you can store the regions, areas, colonial regions and trade companies mapmodes in a single slot and quickly switch between them, depending on which particular one you are interested in at the moment.
vWfk2SO.png

Next up is an addition to the peace screen where both the suggestion and the actual UI work came from noted youtuber Arumba. When you are taking non-core provinces in a peace deal, the peace view will now show you the cost in admin points that will be incurred by making these provinces into cores.
IvHJUzN.png

Finally, a small but fairly significant addition: In the little 'war shields' next to the minimap that display wars you are in, you will now be able to see not only the warscore, but also the enemy war leader's war enthusiasm, so you don't have to open the war overview to know when it is time to peace out.
24k1gfW.png

That's all for today! We've now covered all the major topics we wanted to cover in regards to patch 1.15, but there are a full 12+ pages of patch notes that will be posted later in the month, and of course, as always, a brand new dev diary next week, so stay tuned!

Last edited:
Reactions:
The modifier view is most welcome!

Reactions:
Excellent additions! Just one thing, though: the war enthusiasm indicator, while nice (I guess medium enthusiasm is a standing horse?), is a bit large and seems to overlap with the other "war shields". Could it be only slightly smaller?

Reactions:
Interesting changes, the UI improvements are greatly appreciated. Will there also be more mapmodes in 1.15, for example superregions?

We added a dynasty mapmode, no other new ones IIRC.

Reactions:
Horde changes look interesting, will be curious to see how Tribes play out.

Razing probably did need a little unrest; nomads already get -5 years separatism making cities that were previously pillaged hilariously peaceful...

Is horde unity from razing unchanged?

Most intriguing is the terrain modifier changes; as a mighty ravenous horde it now makes sense to run all over your opponent instead of pressing declare war and then camping. Non-hordes can possibly try to build forts in woods / hills to bait hordes even at the cost of a combat roll modifier...

Good changes to UI.
But balancing with unrest is probably the worst you could do regarding enjoyment of hordes. Playing whack-a-mole is not fun at any point of the game. I know some parts of the game arent really supposed to be 100% enjoyment. Just I feel this will be either: I decrease autonomy cause rebels are going to spawn anyways or I dont feel like rebel smacking half of the time Im not going to play hordes.
Couldn't you at least make it scalable with the amount of razed development ?

Reactions:
Warfare in EU4 sadly is still boring and a numbers game. Take a look at AGEOD, they have a feature that allows you to set army stances from passive through to aggressive. Two enemy armies can thus coexist in the same province and major decisive battles only occur if one army is set to attack or assault stance and the other side is set to defend, attack or assault stance (not passive stance).

Reactions:
Warfare in EU4 sadly is still boring and a numbers game. Take a look at AGEOD, they have a feature that allows you to set army stances from passive through to aggressive. Two enemy armies can thus coexist in the same province and major decisive battles only occur if one army is set to attack or assault stance and the other side is set to defend, attack or assault stance (not passive stance).
AGEOD warfare is even more of a boring number game, to be honest. They do have neat features like logistic having a role, but EU would simply be too slow, if we had to manage logistic of every campaign.

They have a lot of nice wistles and bells, but once you understand what is going on, you will see even less interesting game, as AI is far worse at the game. At least based on my TEAW experience.

Reactions:
Next up is an addition to the peace screen where both the suggestion and the actual UI work came from noted youtuber Arumba. When you are taking non-core provinces in a peace deal, the peace view will now show you the cost in admin points that will be incurred by making these provinces into cores.
Nice, I've been hoping for this. How about a breakdown in the tooltip?

Any plans to revamp the DoW screen? The most useful addition there would be the total army sizes of the alliances that you will see in war screen when you actually do DoW. That would remove the need for a lot of manual math in the ledger.

Reactions:
We added a dynasty mapmode, no other new ones IIRC.

What I really want is the ability to go to a province, click on the greyed out shield of a dead country, and get a special version of the diplo mapmode showing the cores of that nation. Would make it a lot easier to decide which country to release as a vassal.

Reactions:
Will there be a Dev Diary covering the plans for 'Call Diets' in the near future?

Reactions:
Good changes to UI.
But balancing with unrest is probably the worst you could do regarding enjoyment of hordes. Playing whack-a-mole is not fun at any point of the game. I know some parts of the game arent really supposed to be 100% enjoyment. Just I feel this will be either: I decrease autonomy cause rebels are going to spawn anyways or I dont feel like rebel smacking half of the time Im not going to play hordes.
Couldn't you at least make it scalable with the amount of razed development ?

Or you simply don't raze every province you want to keep!

Reactions:
Wonderful changes. I can hardly wait. @Wiz do you happen to know if there will be any sort of minor DLC to accompany the patch?

Can you guys please add support for 4K screen resolutions? It works now but the UI is so small that I can't see a thing! Please, I love your game and I've been playing it lots but now I can't anymore... :(

Reactions:
Reactions: