EU4 Dev Clash #10 - Rule Britannia - Tuesdays 15:00 CET

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Gotta throw in my polandball comic into the pile
E28FfTT.png

Since you responded in the way you did. You can use that response regarding everything, it is words, you can put them in whatever constellation you want. However that doesn’t change their meaning or the concept they imply. Same goes for what you intend with them, unless the recepiant knows you it has no implications on the way they are recived.

In this case it is a minor thing so I don’t want to make a mountain out of a molehill but just want to point out the ignorance and nonchalance in your response.

All the best Blondie and thanks for your awesome work with these devclashes :)
With respect, Blondie is actually correct. I work with American high-school students, and among the younger generation, "dude" is now not gender-limited in any way. Guys say it to gals, gals say it to guys, gals say it to gals, etc. It's just another way of saying "hey you".

With respect, Blondie is actually correct. I work with American high-school students, and among the younger generation, "dude" is now not gender-limited in any way. Guys say it to gals, gals say it to guys, gals say it to gals, etc. It's just another way of saying "hey you".

With respect, your students in a specific area of US has little to do with a general concept of language. Especially not in a forum like this with a lot of people not being native speakers. But as I said, I really don't want to make a mountain out of a molehill. Even thou, with that said, I feel like gaming community in general and in its language specifically use to exclude women. That is why I wanted to mark against the arrogance in his response, that people use it that way might be the case, and that is fine but has little to do with the point here.

With respect, your students in a specific area of US has little to do with a general concept of language. Especially not in a forum like this with a lot of people not being native speakers. But as I said, I really don't want to make a mountain out of a molehill. Even thou, with that said, I feel like gaming community in general and in its language specifically use to exclude women. That is why I wanted to mark against the arrogance in his response, that people use it that way might be the case, and that is fine but has little to do with the point here.
I won't post on this past this post, but since the term is an American term to begin with, and since the language has evolved to use it as a gender-neutral term, its use is not in any way exclusive of women. Seriously, dude, get with the times.

(For what it is worth, as a 57-y.o. man, the use of "dude" without any gender value used to cause me a lot of dissonance. Now, I just accept it for what it is. ;) )

As for the DevClash:

StarNaN may have some pretty impressive numbers, still, but Austria hasn't had to fight anyone or any group of the caliber of the Byzantine-Hungarian alliance recently. So we really don't know how that would play out. Experience to date is that KJ is more than capable of smashing anything that the Austrians cobble up. And Ming isn't doing anything to keep up with the Joneses; indeed, Ming are helping others grow. If anyone is going to be able to throw a monkey-wrench into the Byzantine works, it's going to have to be Vijayanagar, which can into Bharat, and then might team up with either Ming or Transoceania (as Jake loves to call Groogy), or both, having most of the Indian sub-continent consolidated and developed. I suspect that KJ won't let that happen...

Just finished, top marks again to my fave 2, Kaiser, Starnan, great, but again Kaiser for #1. I don't like that a player was put in Ming, can't win a trophy, can still play the villainous spoiler though. I mean, I get why a player was put there, don't want a WC in an MP, but still.

GB Johan, what is wrong dude? I want you to win #3, let's get the party started.

Forza, good troops man, I do feel bad, who dropped the alliance with Byz? You or him?

Another Fascinating session! With the breakup of the Western block and no direct land battles between the two Johans this session, my previous theory of a Grand Johanic Conspiracy is seeming more likely by the day.

Great game so far!
Am I the only one who sees the possibility of a Grand Johanic Conspiracy? No doubt under Johan's directions through his sub, England watched safely as the Western Block threw its power into Kaiser Johan's slaughter. Meanwhile, the Kaiser prepares his legions to march on those who brought down the third member of the old team Johan. The Western block gets weaker while the Johans look out for their own... It will be interesting to see how things go down tomorrow.

But ever since the fall of Muscovy, the team needs a third Johan who still has their full score tally. Could it be that StarNan is the promised third Johan? Only time will tell, but such an alliance would be a truly terrifying presence for the top three spots (stronger than anything the Groogy-Ming Alliance would be likely to be able to muster anyways).

My apologies about my previous fan art (the modified Magic cards) being unsuitable for stream. Regardless, the continuing amity between east and west has inspired me to create new fan art to reflect the situation:

Imperial Eagle.png

Was there some internal office politics we missed? It seemed as though Groogy had nearly succeeded in cobbling together an anti-Byzantium coalition, but no such alliance was able to coalesce this session. Any tidbits we could get from office politics?

Regardless, great job to all players and to the ever-wonderful hosts. Looking forward to the next session already!

Can someone make a newspaper called "The Flying Dutchman" or should I figure it out myself?

On a more serious note, I'm excited for the Clash of Empires (HRE v Rome v Ming(?)) (sorry Japan, you're not important yet...). With the western hugbox dismantled, sTaRnAn now has more room to expand, and with four reforms under his belt, the unification of the HRE seems inevitable. Ming is just Ming though... Maybe he'll be important...

- So much for the western hugbox. Apart from France+Spain (who fought together admirably), they haven't looked like a coherent power bloc this last session. Still, props to the Pope for being the first player to take them on directly and reveal their weaknesses. The Pope nearly lost that coalition war, but even if he had, it still made sense as a way of stalling France. The Pope and Austria should have timed it better, as they have a common long-term interest in keeping France weak, and possibly Austria should have started his own war to take some land.

- Vijay attack on Gujarat was a strong play. There isn't space for so many players in India, so it was kill or be killed, and given the tech disadvantage he had to time it well. Alliance with Pasai makes total sense as they have separate spheres of expansion, but close enough to help each other.

- The dogpile against Sweden on the other hand was unnecessary, as I don't think Sweden was an imminent threat, and due to the tech disparity it was actually very costly for the attackers in terms of losses. Sweden has been pushed into the arms of England, out of lack of alternatives. (England's army may be pathetic at the moment, but as long as its fleet is strong and the home islands are safe, it's a country you should never write off in the long term.)

- Mamluks are just food for Byzantium at the moment, unless they get some allies. Is it worth it for the other Mediterranean powers to prop them up somehow, or are they a lost cause like Kazan were last session?

- Ming is an enigma, because he's not playing to win. I hope he makes his goal to 'keep things interesting', i.e. fight the strongest players and/or sponsor their enemies to make it close. That will probably mean a bit of a hugbox in Asia, but it's worth it if they can form a united front against Byzantium. At the very least, he ought to defend Transoxania (as should Multan).

- In the HRE, it looks like the plan is that Bohemia will eventually form Prussia, while Austria will form greyskin out of the remaining HRE minors. Both of them will become a lot stronger militarily than they are now, which is why they're in no rush to fight difficult player wars at the moment.

Dude, your problems and worries must be so small and insignificant if you have the time to get mad about a guy on a game developer's forum using "dude" in the colloquial way that it has come to mean. What makes this even funnier is how you somehow construed this normal use of a word into evidence of the gaming community "excluding women". This is more arrogant and nonsensical than anything Blondie said. I highly doubt any sane, rational woman would feel excluded by someone saying "dude". It must be tiring to be so easily offended by absolutely nothing.

It looks like people put their faith in wrong hands. Ming is paper tiger, he is going to be dead in 2,3 sessions. Already i can see Bratyn put coalition to fight Ming, because in one session he will lack land to expansion. Japan, Pasai, Khmer and Vij are enough to fight him.
Unholy alliance is also dead. Next session Byz is going for Spain, reconquest Aragon and set France co-belligerent, without ENG fleet they can't stop him.
StarNaN won't intervine because it is him or west dead next.
It is intresting if Kaiser will use league war to fight Austria or he will wait for final showdown Austria(Prussia) vs him.

One thing that also helps the Kaiser a lot:

All these "unconditional surrenders" against him (this time Swe & Mummies).

Yes, you won't win this war, but it would take the Kaiser manpower and, even more important, time to siege down and start coring. Time that would tick down with him not being able to conquer more land unless going over 100% overextension, spawning rebels.
The Kaiser has a huge territory and not sooo much troops numberwise to kill rebels from the Urals to the Levante and expanding parallel like he would do unharmed. It would give the other players a little more time to catch up growthwise.

I'm not a fan of Bratyn's trucebreak in session two (?), but it slowed the Kaiser down a lot.

Already i can see Bratyn put coalition to fight Ming, because in one session he will lack land to expansion.
I don't know if Bratyn and Dnote will antagonize each other, given that they share a grudge against Byzantium and given that neither of them has a real shot at going for a trophy. (Then again, if every non-Ottoblurble player is ejected from their initial nation...)

Thanks for ruining a nice topic why you two dont start a topic somewhere else. Noone cares about your stupid discussion.

Now back to EU IV and the task at hand for next week. Huge player wars with Millions of casualties for our amusement, incredible betrayals which backfire spectacularly, create hilarious memes and insult as many countries as possible.

My top 3 for the win:

3. Johan

Having probably done the dishonorable but right thing of betraying his alliance after making sure France will never have a chance to take revenge, Johan is in an excellent position to feast on North America and the corpse of France. A temporary alliance with Austria and potentially Spain for now seem a smart idea. Trust will be low though, but it will do the job for Starnan to protect his grip on the HRE, since Holland and Duplo seem not in a mood to do anything about it and it will give an extra deterrent to KJ to come in. However the central powers might be slightly nervous about replacing a rather mellow France under Trin, with an utterly ruthless Machiavellian intriguer as Johan. They have the power to keep him out and he does not have the allies to push in would someone want to block him. A diplomatic challenge coming week.

2. Starnan

For the moment he seems well underway of forming the HRE, a feat never before achieved in DEVclash. If he manages it he will be a force to be reckoned with, but ONLY if he manages it. If KJ walks in now he can take him out without much dificulty. The war against Sweden and France exposed him as still on the weaker side. Also permanently breaking with Spain and France takes away two valuable allies if Byzantium would invade early. However if he can eat or semi vassalize a lot of France as HRE he can become quite strong the coming sessions. KJ has surrounded himself with beaten players or allies he needs to become on par militarily before he strikes.

1. Kaiser Johan

Obviously he still has all the cards in his hands. His only job from here on is eat, keep up with tech, form Russia if he can for missions and states(lithuania not being eaten by Hungary???). And most importantly make sure Austria does not form the HRE or Prussia. He has the punching power and is currently surrounded by allies who have other potential growth paths then trough him. Would be awesome if he can punch his way West. Hopefully next devclas put these 3 in slightly weaker countries (though Austria is a challenge).

Good luck next week love these!

I see a lot of people suggesting Austria-GB alliance. I get why it makes sense for Johan. But what value does Johan have for StarNaN? GB is non factor in land wars. Fleet? Does it matter for Austria? I don't think so. Why would StarNaN help Johan to acquire WCs and defend them at the mainland? Johan is just a wasted diplo slot :D

Yeah, But Byz was able to have a seperate player war at the same time. Without a sweat even. It is definetely impressive what Kaiser Johan is doing, but it is taking a lot of the fun out of the Dev Clash imo.

I can see why people are saying this, I honestly can. But for me its really really interesting seeing what someone can do against the odds, how they can keep juggling all of this and keep coming out on top.