EU4 Dev Clash #10 - Rule Britannia - Tuesdays 15:00 CET

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I think this talk of StarNaN versus KaiserJohan is a little silly. Right now KaiserJohan is a target of a coalition of nearly every power in the world, except StarNaN. StarNaN is boxed in on three sides by members of this coalition. The choice for StarNaN at least in the short term is clear - work with the Kaiser to break down the PLC and the West to his benefit. Hungary is both of their ally so for now they will work as a decent buffer state (until the Kaiser wants his victory card). An alliance is in both of their best interests right now, a Koalition of Kaisers if you will.

I think this talk of StarNaN versus KaiserJohan is a little silly. Right now KaiserJohan is a target of a coalition of nearly every power in the world, except StarNaN. StarNaN is boxed in on three sides by members of this coalition. The choice for StarNaN at least in the short term is clear - work with the Kaiser to break down the PLC and the West to his benefit. Hungary is both of their ally so for now they will work as a decent buffer state (until the Kaiser wants his victory card). An alliance is in both of their best interests right now, a Koalition of Kaisers if you will.

StarNaN is boxed in on three sides by members of this coalition. The choice for StarNaN at least in the short term is clear - work with the Kaiser to break down the PLC and the West to his benefit.

Wouldn't the coalition disband once Kaiser is brought down a peg? If so, would it not be better to join in the spoils (or to make his own spoils in a War of Two Romes)? Not to mention that a growing Byzantium would be a threat to StarNaN's trophy (because let's be honest, nothing else matters). I think that although StarNaN is right not to freak out about Byzantium, his move to feed the Pope when it is so clear that the Kaiser wants Roma in order to contest Byzantium later on seems like the best move.

StarNan has no interest in seeing KJ dead, or else he'll be the strongest and the target of a potential hugbox, without any hope of fiding sympathy in KJ. He better hope they keep fighting while he lays low and grow, as he has been doing last session.

Last edited:
StarNan has no interest in seeing KJ dead, or else he'll be the stronger and the target of a potential hugbox, without any hope of fiding sympathy in KJ. He better hope they keep fighting while he lays low and grow, as he has been doing last session.
I agree, for now I think it makes sense for KJ and StarNan to stick together and watch England-France-Spain collapse into inevitable infighting over victory cards. Hungary and Austria can feast on PLC territories while Byz devours the East.

The wingmens' situations puzzle me, though:

POPE: I still don't know what happens in southern Italy and Rome itself, though. Not sure if Austria and Pope have some kind of ride or die arrangement. But where else is Pope supposed to expand if not into Savoy or Naples? North Africa? The New World? Is he content to aim for a runner-up trophy as StarNan's king-making ally?

HUNGARY: The questions about Pope go quintuple for Hungary - where are they supposed to expand after PLC lands, and are they really happy to settle for a prize as best ally?

Great game so far!

Am I the only one who sees the possibility of a Grand Johanic Conspiracy? No doubt under Johan's directions through his sub, England watched safely as the Western Block threw its power into Kaiser Johan's slaughter. Meanwhile, the Kaiser prepares his legions to march on those who brought down the third member of the old team Johan. The Western block gets weaker while the Johans look out for their own... It will be interesting to see how things go down tomorrow.

Regardless of such theories, congrats to the Kaiser for his ingenuity and for giving us all someone to root for by making an early game Ottomans into the scrappy underdog.

I do have to give the Western Block credit for sticking up for their Portuguese and Dutch allies, but time will tell how earnest their intentions are. Speaking of Portugal, hopefully we will be getting an update on Zeke's quest to spread Valfard to the New World next session.

It is inspiring to see the (rather historic) comradery between Lithuania and Poland, hopefully this won't come to a tragic end. No idea what Denmark's angle is here though - he has alienated Sweden and seems to have little to gain from feeding Poland. time will tell.

Meanwhile, poor Groogy gets lumped in with the failure of the coalition. I an hardly imagine his mighty horde showing up and being told to go police the Polish plain. At least they seem to have picked up some new art techniques along the way. Perhaps Groogy will gain a second lease on life by proving his Horde to be the greatest of all next session...

Meanwhile, Austria and the Papal State wait and watch, but who watches the watchers?

Also, kudos to Morocco for their fierce defence of the Maghreb against the Western hordes and to Aragon for their steadfast holdout on their island possessions. I was disappointed that others like Burgundy and Brandenburg didn't stick it out to the bitter end with their original tags, so hopefully your perseverance will be rewarded. With the Kaiser's victories over the west, the moment of your salvation may soon be at hand.

Regardless, looking forward to tomorrow's session!

Edit: Added more accidentally posted before had completed writing

Last edited:
Google translate claims the blurb for Muscovy is "Circle of betrayal and cowardice and deceit."

I like it.
“Betrayal, cowardice, and deceit everywhere around me” is a famous line from Nicholas II’s diary the next day after his abdication in March 1917.

Week 3

It's Tuesday my dudes

(Trin Tragula did not gain 16 provinces AND 16 development last session. I forgot to change the +16 on provinces to +0)

Last edited:
So tell me, @KaiserJohan, about the whole Morocco situation...

Will you pull a Muscovy again and stand by idly while the Western Hugbox devours another player, just to proclaim yourself his "avenger" when it is convenient for you, or will you actually do something while it matters this time?

obvious baiting is obvious... :D

No Jake today? :( Thats unfortunate.
He's at GDC in San Francisco this week.

Braytn has really increased his dev. It is interesting to see dev and province changes from week to week. Austria is quietly expanding and likely enjoying everyone having their attention diverted away.

60% of the stream is Jake and Chris laughing their ass off for something nobody understands while ignoring whats going on in the game...

Chris: Imagine a heavy ship at the Adriatic Sea...

Jake: OMG!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAH

Chris: HAHAHAHAHAH!!!