EU4 Dev Clash #10 - Rule Britannia - Tuesdays 15:00 CET

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I only started watching these clashes mid-way through the previous one and I've got to say I'm glad I did! The devs really put their all into these games and its an absolute blast to watch. I was conflicted over rooting for Bratyn or Kaiser after both did such a stellar job but... well, after that last stream I am now firmly in the kaiser camp. Glory to Byzantium!

Everyone seems to forget about the most important thing. Why was there no update on The Daily Johan in the intro?

About halfway through I realized I vastly underestimated the time it took to make that :D

The Daily Johan will return next season!

I was spot on in regards to the state of alliances in Northern and Eastern Europe. Though I expected - and this may have actually happened - @KaiserJohan and @BjornB to make a secret deal just before or even during the Great Coalition War. This deal would entail Lithuania not joining the war or joining passively. Thereafter, Lithuania would guard the Byzantine Northern front in exchange for the Siberian frontier. It’s a match made in heaven.

Sweden refusing the Byzantine call to arms makes him an untrustworthy ally. Meanwhile Lithuania is suffocated between their own useless ally Poland, Kazan who is currently overtly the Byzantine primary enemy, and who blocks Lithuania’s way east, and lastly, this Byzantine untrustworthy ally. To everyone’s (except for those consumed) satisfaction, Hungary would get Poland, Lithuania would swallow Kazan, and Byzantium would be free to prance in the Close East. Lithuania would be dependent on Byzantine favour which makes them an excellent ally for the true Romans!

There’s also Morocco who, due to their geography, have a lot of potential value as a Byzantine ally. If the Ottomans (I meant to say Byzantines) saved them, and helped them take over Maghreb, then together, they could secure the Mediterranean from any naval invasion from the rest of Europe. That’s already pretty valuable, but then, Morocco could snowball over sub Saharan Africa, grow from a gimmicky ally to one who can provide actual tangible military support. They could also deny the Entente colonisation routes over South Africa, and trade money that comes from there. It’s a long-term possibility, but those usually pay off the most. And Morocco has nothing to lose and everything to gain by clinging to Byzantium.

Going back to Northern Europe, if Lithuania conquered Scandinavia, which they actually could do without suffering an AI or player coalitions, if hey have Byzantine backing, then their unholy alliance would pincer Europe. That would be a sight! And in the meantime, Byzantium could remain the hegemon, by pushing into the Horn of Africa and Persia. Alas, Italy is their goal.

I think I’m getting ahead of myself here :O. Also, where are the Castilian colonies? I see Portuguese and English, but where is Castile?

Yes, you focus on the important things, in office diplomacy, taking Starnan out for drinks, forming a long lasting friendship, you know, that sort of thing.

Bratyn is the diplomatic mastermind, not me.
I am a simple man. I see Roman clay, I declare WARRRRRR!!

Austrian ruler, ca. 15th century, colorized

ZsYZlwP.jpg

yVPQK5x.png

Last edited:
So Kaiserjohan and Sidestep just beat a coalition of (give or take) seven players without really breaking a sweat. What I don't understand...

Why do people go, "You know what would be cool? If they teamed up with one of the most accomplished players in the game."? Do you want the clash to end in two weeks, or what?

I counted 8: Kazan, Poland, Lithuania, Denmark, Mamluks, France, Castile, England. Even if England did nothing.

Edit: I can't resist, I had to make more.
xy3lDGE.png

B0YwpXE.png

I counted 8: Kazan, Poland, Lithuania, Denmark, Mamluks, France, Castile, England. Even if England did nothing.

I hesitate to say what they didn't do, because I don't want them to do it, but maybe they didn't do it because they were secretly on our dear Kaizer's side, kind of...hard to say, but there is always hope. England is only good because Rome sat there for a few centuries, look how crap Scotland is to compare, it's like a scientific study with Ireland and Scotland as the control groups, while England got the civilization pill.

Why do people go, "You know what would be cool? If they teamed up with one of the most accomplished players in the game."? Do you want the clash to end in two weeks, or what?

You mean sidestep? Wasn't it his first game or something?

Let the man have some fun before he falls victim to a poisoned lunch or goes mad from office politics :p

You mean sidestep? Wasn't it his first game or something?

Let the man have some fun before he falls victim to a poisoned lunch or goes mad from office politics :p

For me personally, it's because I like Starnan and Kaiser, so I want them to end up 1 and 2, now, I like Byz most of all, so I want Kaiser #1

That's easiest if they team up.

oeNi390.jpg

Imperator Caesar Kaiser Johan after defeating the "Unholy Coalition of the Eurasien Hugbox"
as defender in their "show inferiority war" - circa 1495 ad

The defeated Saltan Bratyn brooding over his failure while the army prepares the retreat to Sibiria.
CmpNlRJ.png

Last edited: