EU4 Dev Clash #10 - Rule Britannia - Tuesdays 15:00 CET

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
powerrank.png

Jfoytek's Weekly Power Rankings Week 2

This Week we saw the Unholy Alliance transform into the "Incompetent Alliance"

10) Last Week: Fido

This Week: Trin Tragula (Previously 3rd) Fell 7 Places

Three French stack wipes in lands that the French had no business being in! There is teaming up and there is being lead into a very dumb position at the Urging of a Bratyn.
I don't fault Bratyn for wanting help against a very powerful neighbor but when the help comes from England / Spain / France?!? One must say wtf.... Mind your own business you have no business getting involved in an affair on the other side of the world when Burgundy still exists!!! Trin with Johan having a Meneth substitute it was on your shoulders to keep your alliance from doing something Rash, Pointless, with Zero benefit for your alliance, and you failed.....

9) Last Week: Guiseppe Garibaldi

This Week: Sidestep (Previously Unranked) Moved up 2 Places

Sidestep honored his alliance and fought the good fight even taking out a stack of Polish troops. He certainly wasn't the powerhouse of today's wars but he earned some loyalty points with the KJohan, and still seems to be keeping good relations with StarNan. While he hasn't earned much land yet he is playing the long game and I believe its going to pay him dividend's down the road.

8) Last Week: Rageair

This Week: Katz (Previously 7th) Fell 1 Place

Spain managed to follow France across the world for what reason?!? Then again I didn't actually see Spain's troops die, I am sure they managed to be nearby enough to look the part.
Katz seem's to be up to his old tricks with his troops always 1 province behind the front line never actually going into the fight. But seriously Spain and France what did your foray into foreign lands prove? You lack organization? You look stronger then you actually are? Did you really show superiority or was it your plan all along, to make your alliance look like plush teddy bears that pose no threat?!?

7) Last Week: Katz

This Week: Rageair (Previously 8th) Moved up 1 Place

How does one end the Session while losing a war and yet still climb the rankings??? Because Rageair completely outnumbered against the "Incompetent Alliance" was still bringing the fight and winning battles! He should have been steam rolled, how does Morocco stand up against Spain, France, England, Portugal, Holland for that long? Because Rageair has proven he deserves to be number 7 in this list, bye putting on a strong performance against overwhelming odds!

6) Last Week: ForzaA

This Week: Guiseppe Garibaldi (Previously 9th) Moved up 3 Places

The Pope proved today that he is indeed a pope! As Crazy Christian Nations marched off to war against the Byzantines who lay claim to Rome, France, Spain, England and many others tried to sack Constantinople, and the pope did not even have to commit a single troop. Austrians handed him land in exchange for declarations of excommunication. Yes this pope has learned how to watch all the other Christian nations do stuff that benefit him while he does nothing.

5)Last Week: Johan

This Week: Johan/Meneth (Previously 5th) No Change

Johan was not hear to effect the outcome of the crazy things that transpired while he was away so I cannot in good conscience punish him for the mistakes of his ally's.

4) Last Week: Bratyn -

This Week: ForzaA (Previously 6th) Moved up 2 Places

Sometimes inaction is the best action. ForzaA has made a good strong ally, who is not his neighbor and he will likely not ever have Victory Cards on. Infact his ally makes sense as they will likely be able to feast together on the same foe's in the future. Today he did not join the war, and not joining the war was the smart move. The war made no sense it was made up of a large disorganized hug box that had no real reason to be where they were. And ForzaA would have only been an easy target for this Hug box to get easy score on.

3) Last Week: Trin Tragula

This Week: Bratyn (Previously 4rth) Moved up 1 Place

Diplomacy is a major part of this game, and Bratyn proved today he can pull strings to get players to do ludicrous things on his behalf that don't benefit them in the slightest.
This ability makes him a constant danger in a Multiplayer game, even if he is playing a Nation that lacks power and is a relative non factor. While the coalition war he was the mastermind behind failed epicly, it could have only helped him, he was really the only person that coalition war really benefited and he managed to get players on the other side of the map to come to his aid.

2)Last Week: StarNan

This Week: StarNan (Previously 2nd) No Change

Curse StarNan for his brutality in jumping Fido as soon as he got into the game. Feels bad for Fido, StarNan played well today he expanded, he didn't get drawn into any of the foolish tom foolery and kept to his plan. He still seems to have the newer players around him playing to his fiddle. And so far there is obviously no one deserving in game to threaten his place in the Number two spot.

1)Last Week: K Johan

This Week: K Johan (Previously 1rst) No Change

K Johan took sub par Byzantine troops?!? And still fought the unholy alliance plus others and came out smelling like a rose?!? Yes a show superiority war may not have been the smartest call on the coalitions part, but K Johan did much to quell some of the questions that many of us have about his ability to play multiplayer. Then again much of his victory had to do with the utter incompetence of his enemy, there was no coordination at all. However there was certainly no mistakes on his part that would warrant his removal from the number 1 spot in this list. Either he needs to mess up or someone else needs to step up to the plate and prove they deserve this spot in the list. But for now it seems like K Johan is cementing this position in the power rankings.

***We saw alot of changes this week, with an ill adviced coalition war making the Unholy alliance look like the "Incompetent Alliance" I wonder how much will these Power Rankings change come next Tuesday?!? Watch this thread to find out.***

Few things. First they aren't subpar. Kaiser Johan kept ottoman ideas. Purple Phoenix gave him better generals and probably better army tradition and orthodox gives him discipline for essentially free.

France and Castille and England joined that war because Hungary is allied to the ottomans, Starnan is quiet and Mamluks and QQ together got their teeth kicked in. If Hungary and Austria just let the ottomans unite the middle East unopposed the game is already over. Hence why they are there.

Spain managed to follow France across the world for what reason?!? Then again I didn't actually see Spain's troops die, I am sure they managed to be nearby enough to look the part.
Katz seem's to be up to his old tricks with his troops always 1 province behind the front line never actually going into the fight.

Dude! Cmon! at least report real things. I was the first into all the byz battles since I was the one standing in the provinces getting attacked >_> in both the coalition wars I fought many battles and bround a lot of warscore for that, the one time someone looked it was when I went to seige down the war leader instead of endlessly chasing small HRE minor armies. I'm more than happy to be the end of a joke as long as it's not the straight opposite of what really happned. So if you want, just put me a rank 10,000, but don't spread lies.

Few things. First they aren't subpar. Kaiser Johan kept ottoman ideas. Purple Phoenix gave him better generals and probably better army tradition and orthodox gives him discipline for essentially free.

France and Castille and England joined that war because Hungary is allied to the ottomans, Starnan is quiet and Mamluks and QQ together got their teeth kicked in. If Hungary and Austria just let the ottomans unite the middle East unopposed the game is already over. Hence why they are there.

Ottoman Janisarry's with Ottoman Idea's will beat byzantine Non Janisarry's with Ottoman idea's any day... hence subpar...

Additionally,
Why didnt the ottomans win the last dev match? Why don't they win every dev match? KJohan has done nothing out of the ordinary here!
StarNan was the only person that didnt have a knee jerk reaction today. And also why StarNan is in the best position to be able to stand up and compete for the win.

England/ France/ Spain would have been far better off waiting for KJohan and StarNan to clash and then jump in.... while they continued to grow, now starNan is eating land France should have eaten instead of sent his army to do in a pointless fight....

Dude! Cmon! at least report real things. I was the first into all the byz battles since I was the one standing in the provinces getting attacked >_> in both the coalition wars I fought many battles and bround a lot of warscore for that, the one time someone looked it was when I went to seige down the war leader instead of endlessly chasing small HRE minor armies. I'm more than happy to be the end of a joke as long as it's not the straight opposite of what really happned. So if you want, just put me a rank 10,000, but don't spread lies.

So Katz I am sorry if you feel I am being harsh, but either your unlucky and everytime the observers show you, your troops are in odd positions they were in the holland fight... and again what we saw in the byzantine fight was france being slaughtered.... and yes there is a bit of a MeMe joke going on there, and I am sorry you seem to have taken offense...

And Indeed with a Flag thrown on the play after further review....

The Spainiards had a 15K and 16K stack sitting on the border and were the very first people that the ottomans engaged with....

Last edited:
Amazing episode. I couldn't help but root for KaiserJohan, as despite his power he was still the underdog against this Coalition. And of course the cowardly Atlantic Alliance is the enemy :p

Very poor show from the Coalition. They declared but weren't ready. There didn't really seem to be a plan. They got cocky and all descended on Byzantium from all sides, even though they should have taken out his allies first. Weird stuff happened like France having his armies combined before the war, eating attrition for months, then when it started he splits it up into three easily digestible parts? These guys were'nt just outgunned -that can happen to the best of us- but they were outplayed!

And they gave up waaay too quickly. The way to win from an enemy that has better quality troops, but is vastly outnumbered, is to wage a war of attrition and keep it going, not give in at the first hiccup.

You know who puts up a good fight, and fights till the end? Morocco. Learn from Morocco. Be like Morocco :D

One reason for KaiserJohan's military prowess that went unremarked by the commentators: he was lucky enough to get "The Last Jousting Tournament", giving 10% morale and +1 yearly army tradition.

Ottoman Janisarry's with Ottoman Idea's will beat byzantine Non Janisarry's with Ottoman idea's any day... hence subpar...

That's simply incorrect. Janissaries are only infantry for a start and they only provide -10% Shock and Fire damage. 5% discipline from Orthodox provides both defense and offensive bonuses and tactics as well and it also affects Cavalry and Cannons in addition to infantry.

Nevermind the additional manpower bonuses Orthodox also provides, something that Purple Phoenix augments with +20 Patriarch Authority events.

First things first, I kind of feel the need to defend Katz. His participation was visible on stream, in both war, one should not always trust Jakes commentary, he is missing stuff just as everyone else.

Regarding this session, nothing is ever won this early in a dev clash and things is usually more complex than what people in these treads make of it. First, as response to @jfoytek bashing of trin for letting Burgundy still exist. That had nothing to do with the coalition against Byz but is rather a result of the poorly coordinated peace treaty of last week giving Holland to much AE. Burgundy was part of both wars against Holland locking down France with truces. Secondly, even thou Kaiser won the war itself it wasn't without positive effects for the coalition. They effectively tied Kaiser from further expansion for a while and also prevented him and Hungary from the otherwise inevitable gank on Poland.

My last comment is a shoutout to Sidestep for his diplomatic game this far. His effort for the Kaiser this session grants him a lot of good will to later cash in on and at the same time he is maintaining his alliance with Starnan practically turning him in to a de-militarized zone between the Kaiser and Starnan. As soon as he starts eating that polish dinner of his Hungary is in a great spot to become the kingmaker and hence also gives him a good spot at a trophy, first place isn't all that matters we need to keep that in mind.

Amazing dev clash so far. I can see people getting put off by KJohan's cockiness, but it's great fun to see someone antagonizing everybody around him and not immediately dying to the coalition that spawned. :D

@jfoytek bashing of trin for letting Burgundy still exist.

So lets try to sort a few misconceptions out...
<3 Paradox including Kats and Trin...

Trin is one of the guys I root for!
But when have you ever watched an ESPN Power Ranking report that didn't have some flare for the dramatic.
While I would like to keep this Power Ranking mainly around facts, sometimes there maybe events that just don't go right.
This coalition war could have maybe turned out to crush KJohan today, and this Power Ranking may have been me saying something totally opposite.
This is suppose to be something that adds to the flavor of the game.
Please don't take anything I write really seriously, I am attempting to make this be to some extent entertaining maybe even controversial but certainly
I don't want it to be offensive.

Just pretend I am the "Simon Cowell" of EU4

But when have you ever watched an ESPN Power Ranking report that didn't have some flare for the dramatic.
While I would like to keep this Power Ranking mainly around facts, sometimes there maybe events that just don't go right.
This coalition war could have maybe turned out to crush KJohan today, and this Power Ranking may have been me saying something totally opposite.
Please don't take anything I write really seriously, I am attempting to make this be to some extent entertaining maybe even controversial but certainly

<3 you too, and please have fun and go for the flare of drama, but please take it from the truth such as that you would call my army a paper dragon, but you are sure that a paper dragon would hold on for longer against a byzantine assault :)

So i heard them commenting on how castille had morale, but unlike discipline morale is by each troop not the battle leader unless I am mistaken. So castille troops could slug it out but the rest of the coalition would have found their morale lower so their troops were breaking quicker then the byz were breaking and at a time when the byz have a pip advantage (and with fewer pips overall each one pip advantage can make a huge difference. combine with amazing generals that matched or were beat in fire and shock (and quite often better) plus topped off by 115% discipline to multiply that pip advantage and general advantage even further.

Mamlukes grabbing quantity did not help either since they died in numbers to byzantine quality troops. Also as mentioned byz was at high manpower reserves heading into the war (and likely one of the highest if not the highest professionalism) coalition members were running low or out which meant that byz could fight, fall back and reinforce and return to fight again with full stacks while the coalition troops would not all replenish. Partial units in the line would do in late battles.

Still a white peace that is almost up, is it coalition 2.0? Does Byz try to get the jump on Kazan or Mamlukes to knock out a player and front?

I would like to see a list of the army quality page filtered for players because that could be quite revealing as well (say byz where 35-40 professionalism while the coalition hovered in the high 10's, low 20's) as some gaps there could also explain the results. So it could very well have been a perfect combo of stats as opposed to just any one thing.

Though french manpower is getting wrecked in Morocco with the truce timer ending, is that going to keep them out or force them to embrace merc life and surrender a professionalism advantage to the byz?

The answer is simple, I'm Swedish and we are moderate people so take your ESPN over dramatic American shit somewhere else... No, but to be serious, I was responding to your bashing (or controversial bashing if you mind) I wasn't bashing you. Keep up what you are doing, my response was a simple response and nothing else. View it as I am helping you reaching that controversial status, no hard feelings intended from my side <3

We can see that none of the players besides KaiserJohan remember last game. The Ottomans were strong, but beatable, because of Russian manpower and Prussian quality. Now we don't have either of them. Denmark might be for once something useful in a Paradox game if they can become Prussia.

I just wonder what StarNaN is going to do. He can potentially ruin the game for the anti-Byzzie box. But we'e seen that Austria can be steamrolled if there's a Prussia. My problem also is that Denmark doesn't have the same expansion opportunities as previous Prussia, and the colonial spots have already been taken.

And Trin Tragula. I think he's gonna be utterly destroyed once England and Castile turn on him. He doesn't seem to have a plan of expanding, nor does he have a military plan as we can see from The War of Byzantine Brutality. I think England will probably fancy an alliance with the Byzantines if that happens. The trio of Johan, Johan, and StarNaN would win any clash without trying.

I feel bad for Bratyn, as he really did his best with basically everything, but like last game, the others underperformed and he will suffer from the Ceasar's bloodlust because of it. Same can be said for the Mamluks and QQ. Bratyn had a good expansion path initially, but he messed it up by being too aggressive to the aggressor. He should've looked for a deal with Byz, not to destroy them.

As for who I think will win, it is gonna be KaiserJohan, some nation that is not playing in Europe, and BRITANNIA. Unless Johan decides to go for India/West Africa. Then it'll be StarNaN who'll maybe get away with being neutral instead of the non-Europeans. I'm still gonna cheer for my two Dutch friends in Holland and Bratyn, but I doubt they will win. Good luck to all and may KaiserJohan be with you, because you're fucked if he isn't.

Mad respect for Kaiser Johan. You can argue all you want about the mistakes the coalition did but he still took on multiple players and came out on top.

It's one thing to lose a player coalition war, it's another thing to lose a player coalition war you started.

You should watch RoM dev clash and see how Starnan and his Austria were steamrolled

I have, and it was terrifying. But never underestimate a good Prussia. Unless StarNaN pulls the powerplay of becoming Prussia. I just want to see a fair deathbattle between StarNaN and KaiserJohan. It seems it won't happen if things proceed to go like this though.

powerrank.png

Jfoytek's Weekly Power Rankings Week 2

This Week we saw the Unholy Alliance transform into the "Incompetent Alliance"

10) Last Week: Fido

This Week: Trin Tragula (Previously 3rd) Fell 7 Places

Three French stack wipes in lands that the French had no business being in! There is teaming up and there is being lead into a very dumb position at the Urging of a Bratyn.
I don't fault Bratyn for wanting help against a very powerful neighbor but when the help comes from England / Spain / France?!? One must say wtf.... Mind your own business you have no business getting involved in an affair on the other side of the world when Burgundy still exists!!! Trin with Johan having a Meneth substitute it was on your shoulders to keep your alliance from doing something Rash, Pointless, with Zero benefit for your alliance, and you failed.....

9) Last Week: Guiseppe Garibaldi

This Week: Sidestep (Previously Unranked) Moved up 2 Places

Sidestep honored his alliance and fought the good fight even taking out a stack of Polish troops. He certainly wasn't the powerhouse of today's wars but he earned some loyalty points with the KJohan, and still seems to be keeping good relations with StarNan. While he hasn't earned much land yet he is playing the long game and I believe its going to pay him dividend's down the road.

8) Last Week: Rageair

This Week: Katz (Previously 7th) Fell 1 Place

Katz seem's to be up to his old tricks with his troops always 1 province behind the front line never actually going into the fight.(I am sure Katz troops were their and fought and died, part of this statement is indeed a joke, with no offense intended) But seriously Spain and France what did your foray into foreign lands prove? You lack organization? You look stronger then you actually are? Did you really show superiority or was it your plan all along, to make your alliance look like plush teddy bears that pose no threat?!?

7) Last Week: Katz

This Week: Rageair (Previously 8th) Moved up 1 Place

How does one end the Session while losing a war and yet still climb the rankings??? Because Rageair completely outnumbered against the "Incompetent Alliance" was still bringing the fight and winning battles! He should have been steam rolled, how does Morocco stand up against Spain, France, England, Portugal, Holland for that long? Because Rageair has proven he deserves to be number 7 in this list, bye putting on a strong performance against overwhelming odds!

6) Last Week: ForzaA

This Week: Guiseppe Garibaldi (Previously 9th) Moved up 3 Places

The Pope proved today that he is indeed a pope! As Crazy Christian Nations marched off to war against the Byzantines who lay claim to Rome, France, Spain, England and many others tried to sack Constantinople, and the pope did not even have to commit a single troop. Austrians handed him land in exchange for declarations of excommunication. Yes this pope has learned how to watch all the other Christian nations do stuff that benefit him while he does nothing.

5)Last Week: Johan

This Week: Johan/Meneth (Previously 5th) No Change

Johan was not hear to effect the outcome of the crazy things that transpired while he was away so I cannot in good conscience punish him for the mistakes of his ally's.

4) Last Week: Bratyn -

This Week: ForzaA (Previously 6th) Moved up 2 Places

Sometimes inaction is the best action. ForzaA has made a good strong ally, who is not his neighbor and he will likely not ever have Victory Cards on. Infact his ally makes sense as they will likely be able to feast together on the same foe's in the future. Today he did not join the war, and not joining the war was the smart move. The war made no sense it was made up of a large disorganized hug box that had no real reason to be where they were. And ForzaA would have only been an easy target for this Hug box to get easy score on.

3) Last Week: Trin Tragula

This Week: Bratyn (Previously 4rth) Moved up 1 Place

Diplomacy is a major part of this game, and Bratyn proved today he can pull strings to get players to do ludicrous things on his behalf that don't benefit them in the slightest.
This ability makes him a constant danger in a Multiplayer game, even if he is playing a Nation that lacks power and is a relative non factor. While the coalition war he was the mastermind behind failed epicly, it could have only helped him, he was really the only person that coalition war really benefited and he managed to get players on the other side of the map to come to his aid.

2)Last Week: StarNan

This Week: StarNan (Previously 2nd) No Change

Curse StarNan for his brutality in jumping Fido as soon as he got into the game. Feels bad for Fido, StarNan played well today he expanded, he didn't get drawn into any of the foolish tom foolery and kept to his plan. He still seems to have the newer players around him playing to his fiddle. And so far there is obviously no one deserving in game to threaten his place in the Number two spot.

1)Last Week: K Johan

This Week: K Johan (Previously 1rst) No Change

K Johan took sub par Byzantine troops?!? And still fought the unholy alliance plus others and came out smelling like a rose?!? Yes a show superiority war may not have been the smartest call on the coalitions part, but K Johan did much to quell some of the questions that many of us have about his ability to play multiplayer. Then again much of his victory had to do with the utter incompetence of his enemy, there was no coordination at all. However there was certainly no mistakes on his part that would warrant his removal from the number 1 spot in this list. Either he needs to mess up or someone else needs to step up to the plate and prove they deserve this spot in the list. But for now it seems like K Johan is cementing this position in the power rankings.

***We saw alot of changes this week, with an ill adviced coalition war making the Unholy alliance look like the "Incompetent Alliance" I wonder how much will these Power Rankings change come next Tuesday?!? Watch this thread to find out.***

Dont know what you are watching :D Including Rageair in top 10 when he's almost dead. And no Indians. Mikesc has a lot of rich land in India to expand and no opposition. He and player in Multan will be a very powerful nations in a session or two.