EU4 Dev Clash #10 - Rule Britannia - Tuesdays 15:00 CET

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Am i the only one who sees the missed opportunity in putting Katz not into Kazan. Katzan would be great! Hopefully we get Catzalonia 2.0!

So that was an interesting session. QQ and Mamlukes hold a line against the Byz in the east, I think he has run out of most expansion and at this point any he does puts him into contention with some group. France getting pulled into a coalition war, that could end up being bad, and he should be glad that he has the long truce or burgundy could be resurgent.

So big questions for session 2, does the triple alliance hold firm, and if so do any other major alliances stick it out? Starnan seems to have several players in a virtual vassal position (Papal states and Bohemia).

Also France allying with Holland, that seems to be a way to eat into the HRE without pulling in Austria and Starnan, can he allow this to stand?

Also the five that have divided Muscovy, what do they do now that their mutual target has been destroyed? Do they turn on each other?

Am i the only one who sees the missed opportunity in putting Katz not into Kazan. Katzan would be great! Hopefully we get Catzalonia 2.0!

If we're going for real good puns, they should play a game where everyone plays as a releasable nation, and Katz can actually have Catalonia.

I finished watching the Twitch replay. A lot of clearing happening, with tons of nations disappearing because they did not manage to form alliances. I'm mostly curious to see which alliances are going to hold and which are going to be broken. Everyone picked up on AIs and the players without allies (Aragon, Burgundy, Venice, Muscovy), but that can't last forever, some nations are totally out of expansion paths.
I'm a bit disappointed by the lack of moves from some nations, and the coalitions of others, as usual for an early episode. But I guess we don't know how it goes in house. It's just that some players seem to think that victory will come from sitting idle and fighting for their allies, or waiting to die. Especially Aragon, but true from other nations who did not die, like Hungary who let Poland retake their land, let Austria take Venice, the Pope take Naples and expand, the disgusting unnamed nation take the goldmine, and he has allied that same disgusting nation instead of trying to attack it before it could form that abomination. Also, has Poland gained a single province this session? Just examples, but I fear some players are going to be beaten because of their passivity (or have already been).

I think you overlook the fact that a lot of players are in their very first MP and might be severely lacking in MP experience, not to mention lack of experience with the intricate complexity of in-house diplomacy :p

I don’t know what happened in this session, but I heard my name...
Your mission to prevent Blurple might have failed, but your spirit lives on:
dnote spirit.png

Pretty aggressive move by Bratyn against Carsten, actually. I wonder how the diplomatic situation between them and Denmark will develop next session.

Am interested to see how the new world will be divvied up. Will Katz and Z be happy to slum it in south america whilst the french and english take all that sweet mexican clay and trade for themselves or will they come to blows over it? Also interested to see if the atlantic hug box are looking to make holland a long term ally and power, or they are just building him up to isolate him later on and take his land. All in all, excellent session. (Late addition of Bratyn was very nice)

I'm a bit disappointed by the lack of moves from some nations, and the coalitions of others, as usual for an early episode. But I guess we don't know how it goes in house. It's just that some players seem to think that victory will come from sitting idle and fighting for their allies, or waiting to die. Especially Aragon, but true from other nations who did not die, like Hungary who let Poland retake their land, let Austria take Venice, the Pope take Naples and expand, the disgusting unnamed nation take the goldmine, and he has allied that same disgusting nation instead of trying to attack it before it could form that abomination. Also, has Poland gained a single province this session? Just examples, but I fear some players are going to be beaten because of their passivity (or have already been).

I'm a lot more disappointed (disgusted even) by experienced players in great powers forming alliances with other experienced players in great powers than by newcomers doing very little.
In fact, it seems the newbies are forced into this situation because none of the old gang seems willing to ally them, and end up just getting eating. All in all, not very honourable or fair, I feel.

my my , i wasn't expecting that many people dying from the get go.
and two coalition wars.

special mention to the Groog who got one, for breaking a truce and reverting to OPM in the first five years

Can we have Groogys side of why the truce break was necessary? Know it was mentioned in stream that it was because bohemia was being a dick, but in what way?
Bohemia allied Pommerania. I'm guessing Groogy was allied to Mecklenburg who was also allied to pommerania and decided to break his alliance with mecklenburg, dow mecklenburg during the truce, eat the coalition, immediately surrender to the coalition then defeat pommerania and mecklenburg in the war.

What he forgot was the 12 month grace period when you cant surrender unconditionally. So the coalition roflstomped his army leaving pommerania and mecklenburg to occupy his lands and take most of them.

I'm a bit disappointed by the lack of moves from some nations, and the coalitions of others, as usual for an early episode.
Like BjornB said, this is the first Dev MP for 10 out of 24 players, and some of them are relatively green with the game too (surprisingly, having the Three Mountains achievement is not a requirement to be hired by Paradox). As most knows, an MP is very different from SP, and that goes double for Dev MP.

When Katz rolled Castile, I was kind of hoping him to tag switch/release into Catalonia, but alas no :(

Will Katz and Z be happy to slum it
I was talking to Katz before he rolled and he said his ideal roll would be Portugal with a nice Castile he could make an alliance with. Someone like Zeke. And then the opposite happened.

I don’t know what happened in this session, but I heard my name...

THIS JUST IN: Infamous villain on the loose!

I'm a lot more disappointed (disgusted even) by experienced players in great powers forming alliances with other experienced players in great powers than by newcomers doing very little.
In fact, it seems the newbies are forced into this situation because none of the old gang seems willing to ally them, and end up just getting eating. All in all, not very honourable or fair, I feel.

I agree this is very unfortunate. Baptism of fire indeed.

The solution? Get shipped to the ROTW, brood and gather your strength... and then show the Old Guard the meaning of TOTAL WAR!! :D

Main events and prognosis from my perspective.

2. Massive alliance of England, France, and Castile. I smell the three trophy winners... if they don’t turn on one another. They could dominate in colonial lands, seas and the European soil, simultaneously. England helping France to consolidate her lands, and France helping Castile against Aragon are both great signs of turst, because now they can either hinder or support each other until the very end of the game.

3. Muscovy getting dogpiled. It’s not done yet, but there is already power vacuum there. I don’t think Kazan can replace Russia, and I don’t expect her to last long once Sweden or Lithuania claim the land. And they’re both definitely coming for it. Lithuania is stronger, but more vulnerable. It doesn’t look like Poland will be much more than a march for the Lithuanians in all but name.

4. Ottomans turning Byzantium. I wonder what’s going to happen with Mamluks now that the Ottomans have turned their focus the other way. With Quantity ideas, missions to restore Rome, and a very competent player behind the wheel, tough times are marching towards Central and Southern Europe.

This was good. I expect many interesting things to come <vigorously rubs hands>. Man, how I missed a proper European Thunderdome!

@Johan you forgot to add pictures of the current map.

2. I respectfully disagree, I think Jake nailed it when he pointed out that they now have victory cards on each other and Trin just strengthened his enemy. This realization will eventually come down the pike, and it will be sooner then latter...

3. Bratyn is a tallented player but he is no match for scandanavia right now... Lithuania and Poland are both dead, they just dont know it yet... The real question is will Lithuania and Poland stand firmly with Bratyn when scandanavia comes marching on there door?!? OR will scandanivia be happy to only munch on lithuania and poland and leave Bratyn be?!?

4) I love see Byzantium on the map but it was at a huge cost, the K. Johan made himself significantly weaker in doing so. However It does look like he has a firm ally in Hungry. I foresee the Pope, Bohemia, Aragon banding behind StarNaN too fight K Johan and Hungry... (And what factor will Fido's return play on all of this next week?!?)

Honestly the Mamaluks and QQ are looking very pretty for finishing this thing as the top dogs... I do like the scandanavian alliance for being a contender too the end aswell... But the Favorites Trin Johan and Katz are going to cut each others throats... And StarNaN and K Johan will keep each other from becoming a factor leave the Mamaluks and QQ to grow quitely and Scandanavia to also grow, with a little more effort right thru Bratyn and Bjorn....

Groogy... why... I had such hope for you.

Really???

I love watching Groogy but that outcome was nearly a garuntee... He needs a quiet little corner off on the edge of the world to do his roleplay in, he simply doesnt have the required skill set to make that type of start work... But give him and Oman and he will turn it some strange religion become a trading giant and (insert something strange) that doesnt have much relavance on the game.... But he'll make it and then he will limit his growth instead of trying to win, making you at home watching and rooting for him just curl your toes and bang your head against the wall....

Am interested to see how the new world will be divvied up. Will Katz and Z be happy to slum it in south america whilst the french and english take all that sweet mexican clay and trade for themselves or will they come to blows over it? Also interested to see if the atlantic hug box are looking to make holland a long term ally and power, or they are just building him up to isolate him later on and take his land. All in all, excellent session. (Late addition of Bratyn was very nice)

I would be surprised to see England and France make any attempt at the new world... Katz will eventually go there I am sure... but he will be happy to take whatever Portugal leaves for him... Portugal is going to have a huge advantage over every other country not just because he is portugal but because its MP and colonization is not going to be high on the priority list...

However the LetterZ is well known as a passive friendly go who tends to play single player so portugal is perfect for him... And I dont see Katz messing with him as he is a natural ally... They both know its in there best interests to be friends.... You can just bet that the LetterZ is praying that Katz and Trin play nice as long as possible....

Last edited: