• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Troublesang338

Recruit
Feb 13, 2021
Hello,

Game worked fine yesterday.
This morning I got a "Microsoft visual C++ runtime error".
I tried to fix it and it changed to a "file exemption messagetypes_custom.txt" in some Jenkins folder.
I tried a file check from steam without success.
I did a clean re-install and now I crash after start: I hit "play" from the launcher and after a couple of seconds I get a "Paradox Crash Reporter".
1613221475503.png

I tried to launch it borderless, I tried to lauch it as admin, nothing works. I could not try a lower resolution compatibility as it's grayed.

Compared to yesterday the launcher display has changed, now a menu is displayed on the left.
Unfortunatly, I could not find anything that works on the other threads.

Let me know if complementary informations are needed (I'm stupid with computer by the way).
Thank you for your help.

UPDATE:
I restarted my computer and now the game cannot be launched : I click on "play" and a red triangle appears which says "game failed to launch"
I can bypass the launcher by running the exe from steamapps as admin but I still get the "Paradox Crash Reporter".

1613222620692.png

Last edited:
In the game launcher please set Display mode to Borderless.

IF that doesn't help, Please do a full **clean** re-install:

- move any valued save games elsewhere
- "uninstall" in Steam-EU4
- manually delete both the Steam/SteamApps/common/EU4 AND Documents/Paradox/EU4 folders
- re-install game in Steam, run a Steam Verify when done.
- add EU4.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.
- start the game with no mods active and test

In particular make sure there are no files or folders left under either the Steam EU4 or Documents EU4 locations, before installing again.

Also if you have installed RivaTuner, RadeonPro, or a gaming VPN app called Evolve, or the MSI Gaming App, or Duet, disable it as it clashes with this game.

IF NEITHER OF THOSE HELP:
DXDIAG is a program you run from a command prompt or the Windows start menu 'run' dialog box (or 'search programs' in Windows 7 or later). After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Please attach your Documents/Paradox/EU4/settings.txt and pdx_settings.txt .
From your Documents/Paradox/EU4/logs/ folder, attach system.log , error.log .

Thank you for your reply,

I did a clear re-install once more, this time I also thought of uninstalling the launcherv2 from the programs as well.
I also turned off my computer after the uninstall and install+verify.
The launcher still hits me with the "game failed to launch" red triangle.
Bordeless does not change anything still (tried it before uninstall too).
HOWEVER, the game works from the eu4.exe now. Launcher issue?

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    26,3 KB · Views: 0
  • settings.txt
    2,3 KB · Views: 0
  • error.log
    3,8 KB · Views: 0
  • system.log
    3,5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
We are having trouble with Avast and our new launcher 2021.1 , although not necessarily this exact issue. Add eu4.exe to the exceptions list of Avast. You should add steam.exe and C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Programs/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2.2021.1/paradox launcher.exe to that list. You may need help from Avast support in how to allow those apps through fully.

The same may apply to other antivirus apps.

Let me know if that helps!

Yes, your antivirus app has deleted or quarantined that file. Which one do you use? You may need help from their support to stop it doing that.

I have legitimately not been able to play EU4 in over a year because of this launcher issue

I'm not the most tech savvy guy, but I've 100% done all the things suggested (clean reinstalls, completely removing the launcher, reinstalling it, adding the eu4.exe to firewall exceptions, etc) and it still crashes

Really wish I could play my favourite game again

I have legitimately not been able to play EU4 in over a year because of this launcher issue

I'm not the most tech savvy guy, but I've 100% done all the things suggested (clean reinstalls, completely removing the launcher, reinstalling it, adding the eu4.exe to firewall exceptions, etc) and it still crashes

Really wish I could play my favourite game again
Can you make a new post about your issue with more details? To help you, it would be important to know when exactly it crashes and the error.log and system.log from the logs folder and the exception.txt from the crashes folder(if they exist). The output of dxdiag would probably also be helpful. And you could try starting from eu4.exe to see if it gives a different result or a better error message.

Disclaimer: I'm not working for Paradox. I'm just trying to help people.