• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Now it shows the error " The order of loading modifications could not be saved. Make sure that the launcher has access to your Documents folder". But later the error disappeared and the game continues to crash

What launcher version do you see? Current is 2021.6

If that is okay, wat antivirus app do you use? You need to make sure all these apps are in its exceptions lists:

eu4.exe and dowser.exe (in the Steam EU4 folder)
C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Programs/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2.2021.6/paradox launcher.exe
C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Programs/Paradox Interactive/bootstrapper-v2.exe

Good luck!

• 1Like
Reactions:
I see two versions of the launcher 2020.11 and 2021.6

I use Malwarebytes as an antivirus program, but I use it only to check the computer, the protection is disabled on a regular basis. The firewall is disabled.

P.S (I forgot to clarify something important) A little more than a month ago, I reset the computer to factory settings and during this time I only played Hearts Of Iron 4 one time (And it doesn't work either. When running, it gives the error Paradox Crash reporter. And at the moment this error is also present). And I have an assumption that either this is due to the Paradox launcher or I am missing some software on my computer.
ошибка 2.png
оштбка 1.png

I'm afraid I cannot read Russian so I don't know what you are showing me there! Being an image I can't run it through Google translate either.

What if you set all those .exe files (except eu4.exe) to run as the Windows Admin user?

• 1Like
Reactions:
These images were not particularly important, so we will not dwell on this.

I put in the properties of the language to these .the exe files were run as an administrator. I tried to log in to the game, but I got this error:
оштбка 1.png

I clicked "Yes" and I got another error:

ошибка 2.png

Okay, let's do a clean reinstall of the launcher:

- exit the Steam app entirely
- uninstall Paradox Launcher v2 from the Windows "Apps and features" utility, if still present.

Delete the following folders if still present:

- C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Programs/Paradox Interactive/
- C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Paradox Interactive/
- C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Roaming/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/
To see the AppData folder you'll need to enable View Hidden Items in File Explorer.

- run steam.exe as the Windows Admin user

- run the game from the PLAY button in Steam

IF that doesn't help, in this folder are some .log files:
C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/
Please attach them here.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It didn't work. Logs attached. (There was another one. log called "launcher-2021-07-24" but I couldn't attach it because it's empty.)

Attachments

• cpatch.log
    127,7 KB · Views: 0
  • launcher-bootstrapper.log
    7,9 KB · Views: 0
  • launcher-dowser.log
    632 bytes · Views: 0
Let's try forcing an update of the launcher.

Download the installer package: https://forumcontent.paradoxplaza.com/emailsignatures/2021.6-win-prod.zip

Unpack the file you just downloaded and place the three files in the Steam folder for the game you're having issues with. If asked if you want to replace already existing files click "yes" - that's a sign you are in the right place!

Then please repeat the launcher reinstall procedure from before.

Good luck with that!

It didn't work =(
Now it shows the error "Failed to start the game".
I completely deleted the game, deleted everything related to the paradox, installed the game and added the files that you told me to replace (I had a file replacement). But nothing worked.

But the launcher itself works now, is that right? It shows version 2021.6 and no error other than failing to launch the game?

What happens if you run eu4.exe directly from File Explorer now?

• 1Like
Reactions:
The launcher worked well and there were no errors other than "failed to start the game". When I launch from the folder, the game just crashes on startup as well.
In general, I decided to try to download the pirated version to see if it will work. I downloaded it and also does not start (it crashed at startup). In desperation, I tried to install various components, such as DirectX and all that. I installed the Radeon drivers on my video card (a video card from Radeon) and restarted the computer. And the pirated version has started! And I was able to play it. I tried to run the license, but it gave an error that I had previously voiced (I was asked to reinstall the launcher, and then it gave an error). I completely removed the launcher, as you said, and the launcher started, only now both the pirated and licensed versions have stopped working. After a while, this error popped up again (about reinstalling the launcher) and the pirated version started working again. But the license still did not start (via eu4.exe)

P.S (1) Hoi4 gives out paradox crash reporter also when the game starts, Eu4 just crashes when it starts, but Cities: Skylines works fine

Last edited:
English only in these forums please!

So both EU4 and HOI4 fail to start from the launcher now, is that right?

Do they both run okay from their respective .exe files still?

Launching directly from a folder does not work
It seems that after adjusting on the smartphone, google translator automatically translated half of the text into Russian for me... I'm sorry, now I'll be more attentive in the future

(I rewrote the text that was in Russian in the last comment)

So, after your message, I really wanted to play eu4, and I thought that while I'm waiting, I can download a pirated eu4 to play and check if it will work. But after the installation, I was disappointed - it did not work (it also crashed like the licensed one). After about an hour of proceedings, when launching the paradox launcher, I got an error that I had already received earlier
оштбка 1.png
ошибка 2.png

And I decided not to deal with this error yet, but to try to launch a pirate and it worked. But the license did not work (running directly from the folder). I restored the launcher and the pirate stopped working again. I completely deleted the launcher, but the pirate did not work either. Only then I got this error again, and the pirate started working again.

I have no idea how this is related, but I noticed that the pirated eu4 contacted the licensed paradox launcher (at startup dowser.exe gives the launcher error that I wrote about above). I generally have no idea what's going on, I think you understand better

Last edited:
You need to stop using and even talking about pirated software, which is forbidden on these forums.

Then I have nothing more to say. I thought that this would somehow help clarify the situation. I'm sorry =( . Now I just hope that you will continue to help me. So let's continue only on the case.

So both EU4 and HOI4 fail to start from the launcher now, is that right?

Do they both run okay from their respective .exe files still?

No, they don't work normally with their own .exe files. There is no difference when launching from the launcher or from a folder, it still does not work

I switched Eu4 to version 1.28, where the old version of the launcher is installed and it works fine! It really seems that the problem is only in the new version of the launcher.

But if you run eu4.exe and hoi4.exe directly from File Explorer the launcher is not involved, so cannot be what is causing this problem for you.

Does a Windows error appear when you do that, or what exactly happens?

Please go here:
And run the x86 and x64 installers there.

Then run this Windows repair tool:

If they don't help
DXDIAG is a program you run from the Windows search box on the task bar. After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Please attach here your Documents/Paradox Interactive/EU4/settings.txt and pdx_settings.txt .
From your Documents/Paradox Interactive/EU4/logs/ folder, attach here system.log , error.log .