• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Bonus Development Diary - 5th of May 2017

Hi boys & girls.

I just had a few things that we've done recently, and which will come when we release 1.22, and that we wish to tell you about.

Press Sailors
First of all, we're adding a new subject interaction to those of you that owns Mare Nostrum, called Press Sailors. This can be done on colonial nations, and will give you 20% of their sailors immediately, if they have less than 50% liberty desire. Of course, This will increase that by 15%.

Speaking of colonies and liberty desire. Colonial Nations will no longer the liberty desire from relative power, but instead a bit more from highly tariffed they are.

eu4_37.png

Blockade Changes

We have also added some aspects to blockades in 1.22. Now blockades will increase devastation, just like sieges does, and blockades block devastation recovery in the same way.

Marches
As some of you have noticed, Marches tend to be heavily restricted in multiplayer campaigns, while being somewhat limited in singeplayer. For this, we've changed their limits from a flat 200 development cap to that they must have less than 25% development compared to their overlord. Send Offices have the same limitation as the march bonus now.

Aristocracy Tweaks
- Military Traditions moved to Second place in Aristocratic Ideas.
- The Aristocratic Idea Local Nobility now gives global autonomy and yearly absolutism.
- The Aristocratic Idea Serfdom increased to 33% Manpower from 25%.
- The Aristocratic Idea international Diplomacy now also gives +1 free leaders.
- The Aristocratic Idea noble Noble Resilience replaced with Noble Connections (+20% mercenary pool).
- Aristocratic Finisher is now +1 leader siege.

Buddhism has not been all that popular, so we're doing a small overhaul to it in 1.22.

Karma now gives +2 dip rep and 5% discipline for being in the middle, with +1 dip rep at high and +2.5% discipline at low, so there are no longer severe penalties for not being in middle.
You will no longer lose karma for taking your own cores, and the karma you lose for taking land is now scaled by your administrative efficiency. We have also added so that you gain karma by 0.1 per development that your missionaries convert.

Cheerio, and we're back on tuesday, when @Trin Tragula takes a look at some fun map changes we're doing...

Will colonial nations still get liberty desire from their own development? The blockade changes seem nice, I might consider using one of the trade-related CB's just to park a fleet off the coast of someone I dislike, just to see how much damage it does. And the Buddhism-buff is much appreciated.

Is it a global autonomy increase?
It's not; they posted the full details of the ideas in another thread the other day.

It's not; they posted the full details of the ideas in another thread the other day.
That's complete nonsense! Can you imagine aristocrats that decrease their autonomy and concomitantly increase the absolute power of the monarch? :)

UPD: FOR disagreers, sure aristocrats want to have as less power as they can hold, aiming to zero power for them, but to over 9000 power for their monarch power (i.e. zero autonomy+max absolutism). Logic yoo-hoo!

Last edited:
So when you "relative power," do you mean based on the size of military forces or development? I.e. is this going to make CN liberty desire naturally even higher? (In 1.21, I've already found that I dare not do more than one tariff increase because of the greatly increased liberty desire from development.)

Press Sailors
First of all, we're adding a new subject interaction to those of you that owns Mare Nostrum, called Press Sailors. This can be done on colonial nations, and will give you 20% of their sailors immediately, if they have less than 50% liberty desire. Of course, This will increase that by 15%.

Yes, we really need more sailors. Anyone ever run out of them?

Who doesn't love bonuses?

Also, maybe we could show some love (improve) to the Sikhs please?

EDIT: also another florryworry max discipline icelandic world conquest confirm.

Last edited:
That's complete nonsense! Can you imagine aristocrats that decrease their autonomy and concomitantly increase the absolute power of the monarch? :)
Well, it might if you think about the idea group as getting your nobility to serve your interests as the monarch. Kind of what Louis XIV did when he strong-armed his nobles to move to Versailles. Such a move definitively increased absolutism and reduced autonomy in the provinces. :)

And damn about this karma change, I'm sad for my current Yuan Varjanaya campaign. :p

I love reading Johan's dev diaries because they read exactly like he sounds. :D

These are all nice changes overall. IMO, sailors should 'bleed' faster (maybe 3%/month) than they do now. Even with a massive Dutch fleet I can't really run out of sailors even without docks unless I go massively over the naval fleet cap. Sailors are most important for colonial powers, so making them decrease at 3%/month should be doable if Press Sailors is an added interaction.

Also please make blockades have a larger economic impact beyond causing devastation. :)

What would new groups be about? Any ideas?

Well..I asked in the past for more options when you play tall, so lets begin with that.

An Administrative Ideagroup what gives more options for playing tall. ( Development, Ducats and Estate Management )
Choosing this will gives events based on random development increase, a certain time of development cost reduction, free money and increase of estate loyalty.

Ideas ? A combination of maybe :
More States
Lower Autonomy
More Estate abilities -> Loyalty, influence & no more need for extra territory to avoid that 25% autonomy increase. ?
Development cost reduction -> Development cost reduction for terrains ?
National tax modifier
Production efficiency
Goods produced modifier
Caravan Power
Garrison size
Attrition for enemies

An Diplomatic Ideagroup what gives more playability to monarchs.
Choosing this will give events based on chance of new heir, more legitimacy / republican tradition, extra point for heir or free prestige.

+ 1 Admin point for ruler
+ 1 Diplomatic point for ruler
+ 1 Military point for ruler
Abdication cost reduction
Disinherit cost reduction
Diplomatic reputation
Diplomats
Advisor costs
Yearly prestige
Prestige decay
Increase legitimacy cost reduction

A Military ideagroup what saves more money and promotes cultural unity
Choosing this will give events based on getting a free military leader (female), temporarily military maintaince cost reduction or an extra point of absolutism.

Military leader cost reduction
War exhaustion cost reduction
Cheaper infantry -> Cheaper Maintaince ?
Cheaper Cavalry -> Cheaper Maintaince ?
Cheaper Artillery -> Cheaper Maintaince ?
Culture convert cost reduction
+0.5 Yearly Absolutism
Promoting culture group reduction
More promoted cultures
years of separtism
national unrest

I hope this could evolve in future discussions :)

An Administrative Ideagroup what gives more options for playing tall. ( Development, Ducats and Estate Management )
Choosing this will gives events based on random development increase, a certain time of development cost reduction, free money and increase of estate loyalty.

Estates are good to blobing, not to tall play. Maybe converting states that you don't use to tax production efficiency?

Attritition and garrison are too military)

An Diplomatic Ideagroup what gives more playability to monarchs.
Choosing this will give events based on chance of new heir, more legitimacy / republican tradition, extra point for heir or free prestige.

Pretty solid, but points are too OP imho.

A Military ideagroup what saves more money and promotes cultural unity
Choosing this will give events based on getting a free military leader (female), temporarily military maintaince cost reduction or an extra point of absolutism.

Interesting idea on promotion cultural unity. But maybe it would be better in diplomacy?