EU4 - Art of War- Dev Diary 8 - Sorties, Terrain and the Maghreb

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Being able to garrison fortresses/cities would be another great feature from MotE. I think I'm sold on the 1 terrain change now but would like to see the decrease in complexity being replaced with something.

Sorties are a major buff for european nations, the bigger the country the bigger the buff.
France will be back in a big way.
colonies will no longer need units against native american units. build fort lvl 3 press sortie. colonies in asia are now much stronger against the native nations.
If the computer gets sortie friendly expect some rotw countries to fall even farther behind in tech, esp hordes via tribal feud cb's.
islands be a bigger pain the *** now needing more troops to take it.
sorties are a force multiplier.
addressing this will MP cost was a poor band aid in sortie limiting. It places europe and RNG kings in a buffed spot.

Tech+ideas needs to be decoupled from the rest of monarch points. a general tech point pool.

Sorties are a major buff for european nations, the bigger the country the bigger the buff.
France will be back in a big way.
colonies will no longer need units against native american units. build fort lvl 3 press sortie. colonies in asia are now much stronger against the native nations.
If the computer gets sortie friendly expect some rotw countries to fall even farther behind in tech, esp hordes via tribal feud cb's.
islands be a bigger pain the *** now needing more troops to take it.
sorties are a force multiplier.
addressing this will MP cost was a poor band aid in sortie limiting. It places europe and RNG kings in a buffed spot.

Tech+ideas needs to be decoupled from the rest of monarch points. a general tech point pool.

I guess they've tweaked and tested numerous things, so I would wait and see if I were you.

But with your tech-thing I agree. Tech deserves a fun overhaul.

Is there any chance of adding the possibility of give-and-take peace deals? I know of a few treaties where one part cedes a territory to the other in return for money. Can this be a possibility?
And I wish disbanded units manpower were returned to the manpower, that "wants something other than gold" gave 0 warscore instead of minus 1000, and the possibility of purchasing land.
Say as the USA you could do something similar as the Louisiana Purchase, and buy an entire colony. The willingness to do so could be strategic reasons, financial reasons, relations, and most importantly automony/revolt risk.
Will you add a balance of power modifier for relations? It's pretty annoying when the Holy Roman Empire, Russia and Spain ally...

Also will you be able to forge claim on provinces that border your colonials?

This is all I wonder.

EDIT: I also wonder if it's possible to make the names of the New World change to the language of the country which first discovers it. Puerto Rico for Spaniards, Rich Port for Brits, Rikhavn for Norwegian, etc. That would be pretty neat. It's weird to discover Porto Seguro in Brazil and find out that the natives/Norway (me) has called it Porto Seguro.
IDK what you guys think of all these suggestions lol

Kudos on abandon core and idea group.

Fixed price and fixed terrain seems very arcadic.

Yeah, that IMO is a step back. Maybe they have to throw away a lot of code during supposed "code optimisation" so that new rebel mechanism may work, but it is sad.

I like the ability to change Idea groups, but I think it should be more costly than what Paradox currently has in mind. NO monarch points refund, major stability hit, and possibly a cost in monarch points would be appropriate. I don't think you should be permanently locked into an idea group forever, but you shouldn't be able to change them on a whim either.

Why don't they just make all idea groups open? just make the first idea in a group more expensive

The river crossing thing is really really great! It always bugged me that the very good Crusader Kings II system was not taken advantage of for EUIV...

Great changes all the way, though I have to say I am a bit sceptical about fixed prices and fixed terrain.

Keep up the good work!

spinoza013, I just logged in to suggest just that and then saw your post .
Paradox, A unit should be able to be disbanded in such a way to reinforce a garrison back up to it's potential. This should probably not be allowed with mercenaries.

From what I have seen with all the dev diaries, there is not a change that I don't like. I like that it will make more sense than ever to use a terrain feature to set a natural border.

Last edited:
Why don't they just make all idea groups open? just make the first idea in a group more expensive
Because half the ideas in the game would never, ever be taken.