EU4 - Art of War- Dev Diary 8 - Sorties, Terrain and the Maghreb

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Unless they're adding some other benefit, the only benefit after these changes is the increase in speed a high Manouver General can give. This could be useful in it's own right, but maybe not as useful as they were.
The proper way to do it: attacking general maneuver overcomes defending general maneuver and terrain penalties.

6 maneuver general attacking 3 maneuver general in mountains, across river = 0 penalty.

Even better, if your pips are better, the defender gets the penalty!

Great additions. I like abandoning core feature.

In addition, please allow culture shift of oversea provinces while primary nations exist. (initial 1 thousand colonists shouldn't fixate the region's culture forever)

Or rather, please remove primary nation's tie to culture shift availability? Nobody culture shifts as it is rarely worth it. The restriction is rather tedious.

Abandon Core
Art of War doesn’t just let you abandon your ideas, it also lets you abandon your dreams, specifically your dreams of reconquering core territory lost to other states. Sometimes territorial ambitions must be forgotten for the sake of foreign policy, and Art of War lets you do that by allowing you to remove cores you have on provinces that you do not own by simply clicking the ‘Abandon Core’ button in the province that you’re giving up on. Of course, giving up on your rightful territory like that makes you look a bit weak to others, so this action costs you 10 prestige. You do, however, get rid of an irritant to harmonious relations between neighbors.

Suggestion: Could you also add an option do abandon claims?

One Province - One Terrain: so maneuver for land is virtually useless now. You could display the calculated possibility of terrain on a province with the general's maneuver ability taken into consideration. I really don't like it.. Battles should have some elements of unpredictability. Clauswitz said all battles eventually become chaos due to unpredictable turnout of events - predictable battlefield is something not very realistic.

Omg, now i will be able to know if im crossing river, thats sooo good! Also, even though more then 1 terrain in province was nice, it was too random so knowing terrain will be useful. Love all the changes! Also Tunisia stronk by the looks! I just wish it had ability to form something as i hate that flag.

River crossing indicators? If I know what's going to happen in the future, I won't have any reason to pray to RNGod. They're trying to kill RNGesus!! Stop them!!

About sorties... Isn't the besieging army always going to be stronger than the garrison? Does the garrison get high-quality troops, cavalry and artillery on sorties? Do they get to recruit locals to help fight? Do they get artillery support from the nearby fortifications? Or do they just get crushed automatically assuming the enemy doesn't happen to have 0 morale?
And since the AI almost never leaves small siege detachments, isn't this essentially a multiplayer-only feature? Or will the AI make copious use of it to prevent every player's super gamey carpet-sieging?

In other words, I'm asking whether sorties will ever work, and whether the AI will use it properly in situations where it can work.

Last edited:
I honestly don't like this. But I guess it follows a trend of chopping away everything that requires a modicum of effort to be made more clear or interesting.

Ugh, the price changes aren't to my liking, especially considering all of the changes I made to VeF.

Would be nice to have the ability to have your Kingdom convert provinces of your vassals and Junior PU Partners, if those vassals share the same state religion. One can hope. It would certainly help the liege or Sr. PU partner, stabilize his neighbor's provinces and the Jr. Partner would probably welcome Inquisitioners who'd be paid by his liege to do all the heavy lifting.

Is it safe to assume that you will lose any policies, associated with the idea group that you abandon. Or will they disappear only after the normal 10 years period required to lose the policies?

One Province - One Terrain: so maneuver for land is virtually useless now. You could display the calculated possibility of terrain on a province with the general's maneuver ability taken into consideration. I really don't like it.. Battles should have some elements of unpredictability. Clauswitz said all battles eventually become chaos due to unpredictable turnout of events - predictable battlefield is something not very realistic.
Really? Rolling dice is not random enough for you?
I think we need to remember this is a strategy game.

Heck, Starcraft is more predictable than EU4. Warcraft 3 is more predictable than EU4 (and Warcraft 3 has random damage increases and random evasion on hits!).

The price change is good for game performances I guess, as I think it's a lot of calculation for a minimal gameplay impact. I think it's a smart move, even if it's a bit sad to see a mechanic removed from the game.

I'm not a big fan of removing the terrain randomness either, and I think most of the other features presented on this dev diary are close to uselessness. It's kind of nice anyway, but who will seriously abandon a core / an idea group?

The only advantage I see about sorties is that the player won't be able anymore to carpet siege at 0 maintenance, which is good, but not overwhelmingly good either. I mean, almost all sorties will be failed attempts...

Well it sounds like a lot of complains, but really it's just about this dairy, all the others are very good :)

The terrain changes are hugely welcome. Now we know where there's river is worth single best improvement

Some questions:

Will the river crossing penalty always apply independent of the direction of the attack? At least in EU3 it mattered.

Can you sortie in a province where a battle is already taking place to aid your army?
Will the AI make proper use of this feature without sacrificing its long term development (MIL cost!) or continue to fully commit to wars where they have nothing to gain or which they cannot win anyway?

Is there any relation bonus modifier related to giving up cores? Is it possible to remove the rivalry of France if England decides to abandon its continental ambitions?

Will Morocco need to take a colonist idea group to expand towards Timbuktu like it did in history? Will the AI be able to do this? Maybe an event to colonise the one Saharian province?

The only advantage I see about sorties is that the player won't be able anymore to carpet siege at 0 maintenance, which is good, but not overwhelmingly good either. I mean, almost all sorties will be failed attempts...
It stops you from carpeting their land filled with L2+ forts with single regiments to loot/stop production/increase peace desire.

Like the changes overall, but not too happy with you getting a refund for cancelling idea groups. Doesn't make much sense, and it pretty clearly makes the game easier. The terrain change also seems iffy, though I am eager to see how it plays.

Again though, overall, love it.