EU4 - Art of War - Dev Diary 7 - Religious Leagues, The Reformation and the Near East

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've liked a lot of what I've read in the dev diaries so far, but not sure I can say the same for the 30 years war mechanic.

1) This is the 2nd update that gives Europeans (Christianity, but same thing in this regard) the chance to improve legitimacy. There's really no current ways to actively improve legitimacy though. So, as I asked when it came up before, is there going to be active ways for non-europeans to improve legitimacy?

2) Do we really need a way to fast track the HRE reforms? They're quite overpowered as it is. I would have thought they'd be cut for balance rather than fast tracked.

3) Do western nations really need a reduced military tech cost for 100 years? You shouldn't be behind in tech anyway if you're western.

I understand that this is probably a complex situation to add to the game, but these rewards just don't fit balance in any way. Let's take the strongest and make them stronger. I thought back after the first few patches came out the goal was stated to avoid snowballing. Why add mechanics that encourage it?

On the plus side, I'll probably have limited games in Europe, so it won't directly impact most of my games.

It's harder to get IA in Art of War, so now you're actually going to have to fight for your united Empire.

Thanks for all your hard work guys, it really is appreciated. It is good to see such a dedicated game company, makes me proud of being half swedish.

One question, relates to what Jorlem asked above me:
One would assume the reformation starts around 1517, builds up momentum, wars erupt and ends loosely around 1648. How can you prevent religious wars from finishing a century early? (around 1550?) Especially when a cunning player is involved in Europe. War, peace and general in-game developments seems to happen really fast (too fast) in the game as it is now.

Religious Wars are generally going to happen earlier in game than in history, for the exact reasons you mentioned.

The only issue is with the religious wars, who is determined to be the war leader? It would suck if an OPM could start a 30 year war andjust cash in on it.

Largest league member is the war leader on the attacking side, Emperor on the defending.

The religious war system sounds interesting. And I forsee lots of games praying that France has the same religion as I do ...

That won't always mean they join that league, a Catholic France who are rivals with a Catholic Austrian Emperor will tend to back the Protestants to weaken Austria.

The religious war system sounds interesting. And I forsee lots of games praying that France has the same religion as I do ...

You will play a lot of games cutting France down to size mega early, before they grow strong.

One (minor to most, major to me) query: All these new provinces and mechanics make me wonder at the overall performance. Have the Technical Requirements for computer spec been looked at? The game's not exactly a sprinter on my machine as it is.

One (minor to most, major to me) query: All these new provinces and mechanics make me wonder at the overall performance. Have the Technical Requirements for computer spec been looked at? The game's not exactly a sprinter on my machine as it is.

We have done major optimizations so performance loss shouldn't be noticeable.

"To represent the way military technology and tactics developed during the Thirty Years War, and to encourage countries to join in the fighting, any country that joins a League War gets a bonus to army tradition and a reduction in the cost of military technology for 100 years. "

100 years!? is this a typo?

and is it posible to do individual peace outs in the leauge wars?

One thing I wonder; Is it possible to switch sides because of the 'balance of power' changing? So that means; could I go from pro-protestant to pro-catholic just because my enemies are now my friends? (which I ofcourse do not want, as I want to weaken them)

Ta for the swift reply!

You said, above, that the religious wars will generally happen earlier in the game than in history. This begs the question, Why aren't you mitigating against that?

Otherwise, I've liked what I've read in the announcement and the thread. :)

It will interesting to see how joining a league will affect coalitions and rivalries and how it affects opinion modifiers and unrest etc.

One thing I wonder; Is it possible to switch sides because of the 'balance of power' changing? So that means; could I go from pro-protestant to pro-catholic just because my enemies are now my friends? (which I ofcourse do not want, as I want to weaken them)

Yeah, though not in the middle of a war.

There are alot of added tags, but is there formable countries? I guess they would show them in dev diary and it looks like only couple of countries were added as formables..

I like the changes you did to the Balkans(the new provinces in Bulgaria), but please split the province Macedonia in two parts - coastal and inland. It looks incredibly ugly right now as you can't just control the Aegean shore without having so much territory further inland. What's more, the northern part should have Bulgarian population and the coastal one - Greek. :(

Last edited:
The Reformation and TYW mechanics sound good.

One thing, why dont you change the name of Protestant for Luteran and Reformed for Calvinism? Dont you think it is about time?

I know there were other, minor branches, but luteranism and Calvinism (with some variants) were the two major branches of protestantism. Why call what should be Luteranism as Protestantism?

Well, as much as that would be welcome if you started in the right period, if you start in 1444, there's no guarantee that a Martin Luther or John Calvin will even exist - it being alternate timeline and all. Overall, I like this new development, but I still wonder, with all the new provinces, won't it make it even more difficult for the Ottomans to spread into Egypt as quickly as they did historically? It took long enough in vanilla...

2 questions:

-Is that massive structure in Bohemia a new landmark or is it connected to its being a center of protestantism?

-Also, can heathens, like the Ottoman Empire, support a league as historically happened? Can orthodox countries get involved?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.