EU4 - Art of War - Dev Diary 6 - Client States, Allied Transports and Central Asia

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Wizzington

Game Director (Victoria 3)
Paradox Staff
41 Badges
Nov 15, 2007
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • March of the Eagles
  • Majesty 2
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Deus Vult
  • East India Company
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Prison Architect
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
Your favorite part of the week is here! Another developer diary for Europa Universalis IV: Art of War - the next major expansion/DLC for, what I hope, is your favorite grand strategy game. Nothing against those other games, but we have so many great things happening in Art of War that EU4 has to be your favorite now, right?

OK, maybe not. But the improvements we’re talking about today are pretty great. Some are legitimately game changing.

Custom Client States
As time goes on in Europa Universalis, the memories of the old medieval states fade away, as they have long ago been conquered. This creates potential problems for some types of conquerors as there may be no viable flag and identity with which to manipulate the population’s loyalty.

As is often the case, Napoleon was an inspiration here. We have added the concept that the great Emperor introduced to so many places in Europe, creating countries with new identities and flags out of territories he liberated from the decadent monarchies of Europe.

Once you have reached Diplomatic Tech 22 in Art of War (about the 1690s in game-time, for Western European powers), you get the ability to create Client States. You do this by designating a capital province on the map, and then pressing the client state button in the province interface. When creating a new Client State, you can edit its name, its flag and map color, and decide which symbol should be on its flag. Then you can add any adjacent province to that new country at any time. There is no upper limit to the size of these new vassals. When created, a Client State is treated as a very loyal vassal.

attachment.php

Allied Transports
One of the fun little things we added in Art of War is the possibility to allow your allies to board your fleets as needed. You can toggle any of your fleets at any time to allow or disallow this. This is very useful if you lack a large navy, and your ally have good transporting capacity.

Improved Battle Displays
Ever wanted a bit more information about an ally’s battle before joining it, such as whether they decided to attack across a river or have their entire frontline made up of cannon? In Art of War, you will be able to view your allies’ battles even if you are not participating in them, simply by clicking on the battle on the map.

We’ve also spruced up the battle results display a bit. When a battle is over, the results screen will now show 3D models of the leading participants’ infantry, allowing you to admire your victorious soldiers in full detail after they are done routing the enemy.

attachment.php

Central Asia
Now I turn over the keys to Danubiancossack who did the work on remapping this part of the world.

Ok so let's begin. As a result of my well known Russophilia (and I suspect the ability to read Russian Cyrillic), and some rumored map editing skill, I was rewarded with reworking this general region of the map, comprising the modern day -stan republics of Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan. Basically everything North of the Persia-Afghanistan line, everything South of the Russian southern steppe borderlands and everything between the Qing border and Caspian Sea. How did that happen? Well kind of like this: Johan spoke to me and said "DC get it done" and, lo, Johan's will was done.

As was foretold.

So lets begin with some screenies, shall we?

attachment.php

First of all we have the region comprised of modern Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan. It’s a pretty straightforward place, with great centers of trade following the ancient Silk Road that connected the east with the west. On top of that we also have rising stars such as city of Samarkand (I assume most Paradox fans have heard of Timur and his cruelty) but also places that will have their own peaks throughout EU4 time frame, such as Bukhara and Khiva. This region’s geography is dominated by two things: the Amu Darya river, which is the region's lifeline, and the Zarafshan Mountains to the south east, with their passes connecting it with other neighboring regions (covered by previous dev diaries). You can now also see cotton production in the southern provinces of what is modern day Uzbekistan.

attachment.php

attachment.php

And we now move on to Nogai and Kazakh realms, the second half of the region that was assigned to me. The first thing you might notice is that the really big provinces that were the hallmark of this region up to now are gone. We have reduced Kazan's southern borders to match more accurately refllect the historical split, as well as cutting the Uzbeks in size, in favor of Nogai. That little green puny country is now gone, and Nogai is a serious source of power, one that nobody will simply annex in one go. With that said, Nogai is no longer a single culture country, now; it has Kazakh provinces as well as a new addition, the Bashkir culture (which emorteUA will cover in more detail later in this dev diary).
The Uzbeks have also received many new provinces, but their overall situation hasn't changed by too much. They still possess a very small base of their own culture in the south, while most of the center of their megastate is comprised of Kazakh cultured provinces, including the only true city in the steppe region, Orda Bazar - their capital and the mint of an entire region that probably spans a couple of thousand kilometers. At the same time, in the Northern bit of their empire, a Siberian population is eager for freedom and a realm of their own. It is also important that the steppe remain a very big place that isn't densely populated, so don't expect great cities everywhere or high base taxes in nomad inhabited provinces - because there are very few of those. Better make sure those are the ones you take first.

While perhaps very big at first glance, these steppe realms are really "glass cannons". Big and powerful on paper, but also challenging to keep together against both internal and external challenges (specially at the same time). The Uzbeks should provide a unique and interesting gameplay challenge with the potential to achieve greatness and perhaps even challenge the legacy of Genghis Khan.

With all of that said, I now give floor to my Sovi-I mean Russian comrade, elmorteUA, who will tell you more about Siberian overhaul, or in other words explain "why everything belongs to the Motherland!".

Siberia
Now we let elmorteUA take over and talk about the work he provided for Siberia.

Kamchadals?
ON MY KAMCHATKA?!?!
My comrade DanubianCossak told you about Central Asia, now it's my time to tell you about Siberia.

Before AoW Siberia appeared to be one vast lifeless piece of land waiting for Russian colonists to settle there. Looking at the map of provinces it was could notice that they were bigger, and therefore worse detailed, than provinces in any other region. And the extreme north was presented as endless wasteland and nothing more.

New Siberia
In this DLC the situation has significantly changed. More than twenty new provinces have been added that will make Siberian expansion more interesting. The Wastelands have moved further to the north, opening up Mangazeya, a center of the Siberian fur trade developed by Stroganov merchants that made it, in the words of the historian George St. George, "a virtual Baghdad of Siberia". We’ve also added Komi and many other provinces rich with fur or locations that were simply underpopulated areas of the extreme North.
attachment.php

Buryatia
The most important news – Siberia is no longer lifeless. Buryatia now lies to the east of Lake Baikal. The Buryats had formed from different Mongol tribes that had migrated north and separated themselves from the rest of Mongols. De jure, the Buryats accepted reign of the Mongol khans, but, de facto, they were independent - similar to the relationship many regions had with the heirs of Genghis.In 1444, Buryatia owns 4 provinces and could potentially compete with other Mongol tribes in order to become the local hegemon.
attachment.php

Siberian Clans
The rest of new Siberian tribes are settled closer to the Pacific Ocean. They are the Koryak tribe of Chauchuvens, the Yukagiri people of the Khodynts, the Kamchadals on Kamchatka and the warlike Chukchi. These new tribes could seriously change the game style and become base for conquest of Siberia by mighty Spain. Or maybe one of them will defeat all other tribes and manage to create a country, that would be able to protect itself from European invaders.

I think that the most interesting of the tribes are the Chukchi. Throughout their history, the Chukchi struggled with the severe environment around them, and were often fighting neighboring tribes, so these struggles have shaped the unique culture of the Chukchi’s warriors. The Chukchi were so successful that even Russia was not able to conquer them purley by force. In real history, the Chukchi managed to defend themselves even against the vaunted Russian Cossacks, that would raid their lands for a few centuries.

The nomadic Chauchuvens were also not a peaceful people. Significant parts of their stories and legends tell of wars and battles with other tribes including the Chukchi.

The Yukagiri people of the Khodynts is far less dramatic. They were small in number and conflicts with neighbors, as well as disease, led to the Khodynts’ assimilation with other Yukagiri tribes.

Unlike the three abovementioned tribes the Kamchadals or Itelmens had a settled way of life. Nevertheless they weren’t familiar with agriculture, and obtained food mostly by hunting, fishing and gathering.

These tribes are very different from other nations, so a new government type was added for them – the Siberian Clan Council. Besides the name, this government type has one more feature: it allows small tribes to migrate from one place to another just like the North American Indians do.
attachment.php

New culture group
Art of War also adds a new Siberian cultural group – the Evenks. This allows us to show specific demographics of Siberian people better. We’ve also made changes in trade nodes, so Siberia is no longer part of the Chinese Yumen or Beijing nodes.
attachment.php

Attachments

• map_7.png
    map_7.png
    1,6 MB · Views: 52.231
  • map_6.png
    map_6.png
    1,4 MB · Views: 50.521
  • map_5.png
    map_5.png
    1,6 MB · Views: 53.378
  • map_4.png
    map_4.png
    1,6 MB · Views: 52.473
  • map_3.png
    map_3.png
    2,7 MB · Views: 53.269
  • map_2.png
    map_2.png
    2,8 MB · Views: 53.392
  • map_1.png
    map_1.png
    3 MB · Views: 53.886
  • client_states.png
    client_states.png
    2,4 MB · Views: 58.909
  • extended_end_of_battle_screen.png
    extended_end_of_battle_screen.png
    709,3 KB · Views: 55.097
Last edited:
I love it!!

I heard tha tyou want to create new trade nodes and routes. I find out that you want to delete Western Europe trade node (good choice), merge London and Antverpen (very bad idea), create new land node in France (good idea) IMHO.

In my humble opinion every historical colonizator should have its own trade node. Mergeing London and Antverpen will disrupt multiplayers games. England and the Netherlands will never be able to exist together. They will have to destroy the other one or to cooperate closely whole campaign.

In my suggestion every major state of historical colonizers has its own trade node: Portugal, Spain, France, the Netherlands, England. Trade routes in America are arranged in way that each state in some way can steer from this continent (and form Africa => India).

Heart of Germany becomes end node, it seems logical. Sevilla can steer from Bordeaux, which becomes an important transfer trade node as Genoa without a loss of the major countries.
Atlantic Routes
14trjg0.jpg

European Routes
2u9qtlc.jpg

New trade nodes:
Lisboa
Paris
Guyenne

Route changes:
EUROPE

Antverpen
steer to: Frankfurt
steer from: London, Bordeaux, Paris, Lubeck, Guyenne
London
steer to: Antwerpen
steer from: North Sea, Bordeaux, Cheasapeak Bay
Bordeaux:
steer to: Paris, London, Antwerpen
steer from: Genoa, St. Laurance
Paris
steer to: Antwerpen, Frankfurt
steer from: Borddeaux, Genoa,
Seville
steer to: Lisboa
steer from: Genoa, Bordeaux, Tunis, Safi, Caribbean
Lisboa
steer to: endnode
steer from: Seville, Brasil, Ivory Coast
Lubeck
steer to: Antverpen, Frankfurt
steer from: Baltic Sea, North Sea, Wien
Frankfurt
steer to: endnode
steer from: Paris, Antverpen, Lubeck, Wien

SOUTH AMERICA
Guyenne
steer to: Antverpen, Bordeaux, Caribbean
steer from: Ivory Coast, Brasil, Panama

AFRICA
Mauritian Coast
GONE
Ivory Coast
steer to: Lisboa, Timbuktu, Guyenne, Cheasapeak Bay
steer from: Brasil, Kongo

WORLD of TRADE OPPORTUNITIES
vo277n.jpg

Last edited:
Thankyou!
The client states are a great idea... But I especially like the new battle interface!

The new siberian clans will have a hard time forming an effective country though if their lands are not connected.
It will take them a while to get colonists and fill in those gaps

Last edited:
Client states will certainly add more colour to the late game. And really game-changing if they don't cost for diplo-relations, if I understand it correctly. Will the AI make use of them?

Also, it will certainly be helpful to see allied battles taking place. Really a great expansion.

I have always liked alternative history mechanics, and I'm very happy to see an option to customize your own country (client state)! That's awesome!

1. So creating client state is basically creating a vassal, right? Is it possible to choose to play as client state?
2. I really, really like allied transport option. This is one of features I was really missing during many games.
3. Please make it possible to put armies in allied territory (when having miliary access) and if joining the war don't make these armies exiled. This issue was ruining many plans when I was playing large campaign with my allies.

So, here are 2 questions about "Client State" option -
1. Can I create Client State in Colonial Nation (by playing overload/colony)?
2. If Colonial Nation will form, is it available to modify their flag like Client State?

With this new Client States, and March, i can sens a will to make us play WITH vassals, instead of integrate them ASAP. I really hope there will be a way to have more Diplo relation (Why not via Diplo tech, it will make it useful for everyone)

I'm very interested in the little Rev. France flag down next to the HRE button in the first screenshot. Some type of Napoleonic mechanics for the late game? And what do the crossed swords and star with the 1% mean? So many new questions from these screenshots.

Keep up the good work, I can hardly wait for this to come out. :p

Do client states have national ideas? If not, they are just faster but inferior fed vassals.
Also, this makes the vassal swarm of HRE incredibly powerful, as they can just make a hundred client states out of nowhere, and get an army with 100 generals.

Improved Battle Displays
Ever wanted a bit more information about an ally’s battle before joining it, such as whether they decided to attack across a river or have their entire frontline made up of cannon? In Art of War, you will be able to view your allies’ battles even if you are not participating in them, simply by clicking on the battle on the map.

We’ve also spruced up the battle results display a bit. When a battle is over, the results screen will now show 3D models of the leading participants’ infantry, allowing you to admire your victorious soldiers in full detail after they are done routing the enemy.

attachment.php

Yet another time we see infantry models? Either Paradox South should give up on Cav or we should get to see them more often!

This looks absolutely amazing! I think the dynamic nature of the client states will add a lot to the game!

By the way, how is the primary culture, government and religion determined when you create a client state? Is it based on the overlord, the chosen province, a mixture of both or is the player able to pick options by hand?

Well, that was random. :D The cynical me assumes this is an attempt to get people to buy unit packs...?

Neat DLC. Very welcome additions overall.