Eu4 - Art of War - Dev Diary 3 - Military Cooperation, Tradegoods & West Africa

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Transfer Occupation
Transfer Occupation is a new feature in the province interface that allows you to change the controller of a province that you have occupied in a war. This allows allies to coordinate their war effort more effectively, so that the nation that intends to conquer the province no longer has to be the one to siege it down. The AI will of course also make use of this feature, transfering control of provinces they do not want for themselves to the war leader.

Will the AI do this systematically when they don't want the province? I know it's an abstraction, but it would be weird to instantly transfer the control of a province to someone who's halfway across the world and has no presence there. Also as someone already said it would really limit the AI's ability to make gains in a separate peace.

Looking so good it almost makes me not want to start a new game until 5 months from now...

The allied objective thingy is awesome, specially after I saw how stupid my Byzantium ally was last game.

Glad to see

a) some differentiation in behaviour during war
b) the introduction of silk, dyes and tropical wood - echoes of Victoria here :)

Interested to see

a) the changes to West Africa
b) the changes to coastal provinces there (I wonder how that'll much more of a desperate scramble for Africa that'll cause).

Overall, looks good. Thanks.

I don't think the scramble for Africa will be quite as bad as some people think. After the monarch point penalty got removed the africans have been a lot stronger and that's a whole lot more provinces. I think conquering Africa will be a real investment now.

Not a much info as I was hoping for, the military coordination stuff is nice although I wonder how well it will function, and new trade goods are cool to see, and West Africa looks like its getting a proper treatment but nothing that really wows me.

Should probably get some African achievements while they are still easy

They never said they would Prevent the scramble.. just delay it.. give the African nations some time to westernize and have a fighting chance. Portugal in current game will colonize the area besides Mali and usually conquer it by late 1500s. The new system hopefully gives the West African nations at least 100-150 more years to live. I love the changes, bring them on Paradox! Looking to be the best expansion yet.

Wow, I will actually stand a chance as an African nation now (unless you are one of those people who manage to conquer the world anyway :p), looking forward to it :)

They never said they would Prevent the scramble.. just delay it.. give the African nations some time to westernize and have a fighting chance. Portugal in current game will colonize the area besides Mali and usually conquer it by late 1500s. The new system hopefully gives the West African nations at least 100-150 more years to live. I love the changes, bring them on Paradox! Looking to be the best expansion yet.

Strikes me that westernisation will be harder as an African nation, as there's now wasteland between you an Arguin, so no easy border with non-trade company Portugal. Actualy, that might well make westernising as anyone south and east of Europe harder, as taking some Malian provinces, releasing Jolof letting you core a province next to Arguin was typically the easiest way.

I hope they get rid of the fact that you can't westernise off of a trading company, it means you have to go to Arguin or America, which is just absurd, especially if you're in India or east Asia.

good changes but not so impressive. Why only 3 new tradegoods? You could also add Glass, Wax, Olive Oil, and Livestock.

I dont think that wax and olive oil would add anything good to the game. The Med Sea is better off producing wine. Although some regions like Argentina could benefit from the inclusion of livestock as in cattle, wool represents the herding lifestyles better. Glass could find itself in Thrungia, Venice, that rocky/forest-y Swedish province in the south but where else?

The game really needs Pearls, in all of northern coastal Arabia, quite a few islands in The Philippines, Indonesia and the Pacific, and a province or two in Japan.
Carpets should get some love too - wool doesn't quite represent them. Persia and central Asia are unnecessarily poor because of that.Too.Much.Wool. The Islamic world also made some veryhigh quality pottery such as tiles and porcelain-level articles. The in game description of Chinaware is explicit that it includes Carpets, Porcelain and Silk and seriously you could fill most of Persia and greater Khorasan with it. Anyway, devs take note to update the description of Chinaware since youre splitting off Silk. I suggest to update it as to include Porcelain and Lacquerware. Lacquerware under tropical wood would be meh.

Other than that I welcome tropical wood as a trade good, but please make it so that it includes fragrant woods and resins as well in the description, ie include Incense from the back door too.

Edit - Also add Dyes to Oaxaca and Belz Province (Red Ruthenia was particularly famous for the dye)

Strikes me that westernisation will be harder as an African nation, as there's now wasteland between you an Arguin, so no easy border with non-trade company Portugal. Actualy, that might well make westernising as anyone south and east of Europe harder, as taking some Malian provinces, releasing Jolof letting you core a province next to Arguin was typically the easiest way.

I think it will be possible to go through Morocco and westernize there.

I took over many African nations less out of wanting their provinces, but more out of making sure they didn't steal my trade. More nations seems like it would increase the proportion of trade being sucked away. Are there any changes to the trade nodes to help alleviate this?