Eu4 - Art of War - Dev Diary 3 - Military Cooperation, Tradegoods & West Africa

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is the allied objective mechanic a player only mechanic, or will the AI also be able to designate targets? And are you only able to do this at all times or only when you are the warleader?

I wish they could rehaul the trade goods system a little. Currently it's such a small feature and as a player you hardly ever consider the trade good of a province. The world leader in production thing is pretty bland as it only rewards one nation. Nations should always have som specific bonuses dependent on what dominant trade goods they have in my opinion. Or something to always make trade goods a thing of flavour in the nation your playing and make it feel like it has an impact on your abilities.

West Africa looks beautiful! Can't wait to unite it under Zazzau's color. Pretty cool changes for the military aspect too. I hope the AI uses the target thingie so we can understand what they want to get exactly.

I'm not sure whether to facepalm or nod curiously.
The new mechanics for allied/subject warfare are far simpler then I would have expected from the announcement. But right away I have to admit they fix the most dire needs in the least-effort way possible.
Paradox-style as usual, I'll wait for the actual release to judge whether it works for this mechanism or is just another screwup.

Pleased with the changes to Africa though. More interesting ROTW is always good. As well, I'm hoping to see the same changes on Middle America.

Africa certainly looks interesting. Will these new nations be getting their own NIs, or a least a regional set? Having to put up with the nigh-on useless generic ones would put me off playing these new guys (or, at the very least, give the generics a massive buff...)

At last the allies and subjects will be able to do more than only add their manpower in the balance for the purpose of calculating IA DOW upon you!
I was so eyebrow's up yesterday in my war against venice as Austria, when the 10k troups, with super general of PUed Hungary, were going to get destroyed in a far distant part of Venice, while my main army was at the heart of the action.

finally we can transfer/recieve provinces we don t want/want !!

Please tell me that the tech groups in that part of Africa change! Almost everything sub-Saharan around Mali should be closer to Muslim tech than current sub-Saharan tech.

Sub-Saharan tech really ought to be kept only for regions around Kongo, Ethiopia and Kilwa.

Please tell me that the tech groups in that part of Africa change! Almost everything sub-Saharan around Mali should be closer to Muslim tech than current sub-Saharan tech.

Sub-Saharan tech really ought to be kept only for regions around Kongo, Ethiopia and Kilwa.

I agree, wasn't it mentioned that Timbuktu was a centre of learning for Muslims?

I hope there are a bunch of new ideas for these nations, if maybe only grouped ones for cultures.

Also, will we ever get trans-Saharan travel possible?

Very nice. The new trade goods are nice (though even a few more still could be good), and I'm wondering what the "trading in" bonuses will be. And you have no [20 pages of expletives deleted]-ing idea how many times I've wanted to be able to transfer the control of a sieged province or cursed how I have to pussyfoot around the wargoal when I'm an ally.

EDIT: Oh, and will there be new national ideas for the new nations, or will they all just get the crappy default national ideas?

Also, I see room for an "Ebony and Ivory" achievement, with the conditions being either "dominate the trade of both tropical wood and ivory" or "control all ivory and tropical wood producing provinces in Africa".

What will stop the Europeans from simply eating the whole region? The dearth of colonizable provinces is a nice start, but it will end still in a Scramble for Africa in 1700 if France/Spain/Portugal can simply go there, scatter their armies and devour it all.

The rest is extremely nice.
The main thing is how the AI works. With all of that wasteland and reduced border friction and a lower likelyhood of generating claims, the AI will be rather unlikely to declare war to take the land in the first place, and without the stupidly easy West African invasion route from Trarza, the AI will likely be hard-pressed actually launch an invasion unless they really do un-derp the naval invasion AI. Of course, I doubt there's much stopping an aggressive human player from just annexing the whole thing as fast as they can core it all.

I agree, wasn't it mentioned that Timbuktu was a centre of learning for Muslims?

I also hope there are a bunch of new ideas for these nations, if maybe only grouped ones for cultures.
They haven't replied when I asked about India and Persia. So we can assume that new tags have generic ideas. At best group ideas (likely for India).

I'd really love to see a bunch of new group and even unique national ideas but I doubt they implemented anything new in this regard :(

How did you get so many facts on these kingdoms? I can't even find some of the nations on google...

The UNESCO general history of Africa was a good starting point. Lots of books on google books that helped too.

What will stop the Europeans from simply eating the whole region? The dearth of colonizable provinces is a nice start, but it will end still in a Scramble for Africa in 1700 if France/Spain/Portugal can simply go there, scatter their armies and devour it all.

The rest is extremely nice.

Maybe they buffed the sub-saharan tech group?