EU4 - Art of War - Dev Diary 10 - Achievements, Auto Transport and South America

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Tupiniquim - One of three starting Tupi Tribes in modern Brazil. Historically befriended the Portuguese and converted to Christianity. The current Queen of Sweden claims to be descended from their chief, Tibiriçá.

Would never imagine something like that.
Very nice Dev diary, just one week left :D

I'm a little curious where the line is drawn for this. Is this only in the case of larger nations defending far smaller nations? Or does it mean that if I attack France and France has an ally in the middle of India, that I cannot 100% France before five years, because I have not occupied their Indian ally?

The latter is also correct, but you'll be able to 99% them which is functionally the same.

It's not impossible to annex them before the 5 years are up if your total WS is high enough, you just won't be able to immediately end a war before large allies have a chance to at least try to save them.

I like this protection for small countries.
Some questions:
How much war score do you get for occupying the warleader and how can you get 100% in that war before the 5 years are up? Do you have to win some battles or do you have to completely occupy the allies?

It's not impossible to annex them before the 5 years are up if your total WS is high enough, you just won't be able to immediately end a war before large allies have a chance to at least try to save them.

Did you guys adjust the WS required to annex a war leader nation? Last I checked it was 100%, unless they were too big to annex. Or are you talking about getting 100% warscore through the standard means, generally involving 40% warscore from battles and a lot of sieging?

I like this protection for small countries.
Some questions:
How much war score do you get for occupying the warleader and how can you get 100% in that war before the 5 years are up? Do you have to win some battles or do you have to completely occupy the allies?

The amount you get for warleader is relative to how large warleader is. If warleader is 10% of the enemy alliance, you get 10% WS for occupying warleader (plus ticking WS for wargoal, potentially). Again though, you don't *have* to have 100% to end the war.

Multiplayer Improvements
But as you are well aware, we only develop these expansions and updates for multiplayer, so here are the most important improvements for the 1.8 patch:

Abandon Game now has a confirmation dialog, and the AI won’t abort missions in a multiplayer game, if that nation was being played by a human who may have crashed, or missed the current session.
Of course this expansion favors ONLY multiplayer mode. A small vocal community likes this new direction PDS has taken. But what about the majority??? This is outragous!!!!

This is going to be great. I feel that Paradox really got pissed off by these people. I'm sometimes wondering if the studio didn't go a bit too far in pleasing this small vocal group of forum members that constantly declares that the game is simply UNPLAYABLE!!!!!!

Because it does not have the old provinces names! In the year 1444 there is no longer Penza, Saratov, Samara and other cities, that were not yet founded.
A city named Samar actually appears on Italian maps of XIV century. Nevertheless, Penza and Saratov are still around as I can see.
On the other hand Kanadey was founded in XVIII century and it's Tatar name is Kınadı.

Now all the names in the region are Tatarian, which adds some adds authenticity and immersion.
Saratov in Tatar is called Sarıtaw (literally "Yellow hill"), Tsaritsyn - Sarısu (Yellow water), Simbirsk should be Sember, Azov should be Azaq and Astrakhan should be spelled as Ästerxan, although a more historical name is Xacitarxan.
And you have a typo - it should be Yar Çallı, it's actually the Tatar name for Naberezhnye Chelny, a settlement founded in 1626. A better choice for the name of the area should probably be Alabuğa.
And names like Lipetsk, Voronezh, Tambov, Borisoglebsk or Kuban don't sound Tatar at all.
I'm a Tatar, so I should know. :)

What is Etkara? Google can't find it.

In time, when Russia will begin to push Tatars away and settle the Russian plain. Civilization will come there and due to the dynamic province names system, big Russian cities will appear instead of Wild Fields. No more anachronisms!
That's a stereotype, Golden Horde had many cities, and there are some academic works about them, for example "G. A. Fyodorov-Davydov [Fedorov-Davydov] , The Culture of the Golden Horde Cities, trans. H. Bartlett Wells, Oxford, BAR International Series, 1984" :)
Though by XV century they were not exactly at their peak, thanks to Timur.

Last edited:
The amount you get for warleader is relative to how large warleader is. If warleader is 10% of the enemy alliance, you get 10% WS for occupying warleader (plus ticking WS for wargoal, potentially). Again though, you don't *have* to have 100% to end the war.

Okay that sounds plausible. I think I like that change, wars against multiple great powers are much more dangerous now. We will see, how it works out.

So a possible strategy now is to conquer a small target in short time and than hold that target in a defensive war for 5 years. Interesting.

the kingdom of Cusco
lh23bgF.gif

also, formable nubia please!

Its obvious they didn't plan the dev diaries through, so they cram everything into the last one.
And wow, those new mechanics are a blast to even read.

The only thing not planned months in advance to be in this DD was automated fleet transport.

For the love of god, please have them balanced in regards to generals aswell.

How are they not balanced in terms of generals?

Will the dev team implement dynamic city names as well as province names? It's quite strange to translate the province name but not the city name.

Not in 1.8, but it's not a bad idea.

I think what he means is that, since the "great pip reduction" a couple of patches back, the impact of generals has been magnified (+2 shock is far more significant when you only have 2 shock pips instead of 4). Particularly early on, this means that getting a good general can have a disproportionately large impact on combat. This is particularly true if a nation can consistently get good generals - for example, nations that get a lot of army tradition early, or lucky ones....or both (why yes, I am talking about you France).

The effective strenght of generals pips in comparison to unit pips. For the purpose of base casulties roll, a shock 4 general vs a shock 0 general makes your tech 3 infantry (Latin Medieval) a tech 30 infantry (Napoleonic Square) during shock phase.