EU4 - 1.8 - Major Power Idea Changes

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
Not mentioning tweaks to diplomatic reputation here..

England
Traditions: Accepted Culture Threshold is now -20% instead of -10%.
Ambition: Changed from +33% Embargo Efficiency and gained +1 Free Leader.
Navigation Act: Lost +10% Lightship Power, but Trade Income increased from 10% to 15%.
British Bill of Rights: gained +10% Global Tariffs.
Sick and Hurt Board: Changed from -25% Naval Attrition to +5% Ship Durability.

Castille
Traditions: Land Morale increased from +10% to +15%.
Reconquista: Lost +1 Colonist
Spanish Inquisition: Lost the tolerance penalties.
Inter Caetera: Is now 3rd idea instead of 4th, and gained +1 colonist.
Devout catholism: Is now 4th instead of 3rd, and gives +2 papal influence instead of +3.

Portugal
Afosine Ordinances is now 3rd and Legacy of the Navigator 2nd idea.

Austria
Traditions: Lost Diplomatic Annexation cost -20%, and gained +10% Land Morale.
Military Border. Defensiveness increased from 20% to 25%.
Edict of Restitution: Lost the Tolerance impact.
Hofkriegsrat: Now also gets +3% Discipline.

Can we have an Elan nerf? 20% Morale is way to much

Nice! Two big powers that counter France. I like it a lot.
(No don't nerf France, they have to be strong, but at least two of its strongest rivals are now getting military buffs)

Buffs to England and Spain will be fantastic, although I don't think it'll be enough to stop France from taking on all of Europe like a body builder fighting dwarves. Spain though seems to be getting nerfed more than buffed. Austria meanwhile seems to be getting kind of overbuffed.

Also seems to be powercreeping the game, though.

I got excited when I saw Castile was losing a colonist - only to be disappointed to see they'll just get one later in the game. I was really hoping to see a major nerf to the Iberian insane colonial speed. Oh well, I guess the other changes are nice too.

Great, the upcoming MP session as Spain is going to be even greater. Papal Influence nerfed, are the favors from the popeman that good? Will may even make religious an interesting choice? (events, moral policies, and pope influence). Also nice to see Austria finally buffed, Habsburg - Trastámara defensive pact against the BBB will be very effective.

I got excited when I saw Castile was losing a colonist - only to be disappointed to see they'll just get one later in the game. I was really hoping to see a major nerf to the Iberian insane colonial speed. Oh well, I guess the other changes are nice too.

It might actually be a considerable nerf, since they'll be getting that extra colonist somewhere between 30-50 years later, which is an ok change at least, considering the amount of added provinces for colonization. If only they have left that idea as 4th instead of 3rd...

It might actually be a considerable nerf, since they'll be getting that extra colonist somewhere between 30-50 years later, which is an ok change at least, considering the amount of added provinces for colonization. If only they have left that idea as 4th instead of 3rd...

You are right, I was also disappointed at first, but considering that when they will get their extra colonist the other nations will have started exploration ideas and the colonisation it doesn't seem too bad. After all, Spain did most of the conquest of the Americas, but this time it will let France & England chances to get more realistic sizes for their colonial empire.

They should just replace the extra colonist + settlers speed with a colonist buff from 1500 to 1550 to represent the headstart in colonization Spain and Portugal had.
It's pretty dumb in in 1600+ Spain keep colonizing everything faster.

Portugal
[...] and Legacy of the Navigator 2nd idea.

Isn't Legacy of the Navigator already the second idea of Portugal ? Or do you see the traditions as the first idea, which would mean we get this idea earlier than before now ?

Finally Austria will be able to stay a bit more competitive in regards to France, Prussia and OE.

Very good news for Austria.
I never minded them being bad at military but it was so bad that it affected game balance. 10% morale and some discipline is good.

England change in light ships power seems odd. Historically they had really great navy. If its for game balance then ok.
Kinda wish they got some privateer stuff since the majority of pirates were english privateers.