EU4: 1.32.1 Songhai is now LIVE! - checksum [78cb] - NOT FOR PROBLEM REPORTS!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Are you planning a 1.32.2 in 1-3 weeks or the next one will be 1.33 in 3-6 months ?

I would imagine 1.32.2 will arrive in a couple of weeks

Reactions:
# Missions
- The Ajuuraan mission "Hydraulic Expertise" can now be completed if you drop the Ajuuraan ideas
- The Ethiopian mission "Unite the Horn" no longer requires you to have the province Fazughli colonized
- The Kilwan mission "The Uncharted South" and the Mutapan mission "Uncover the South" have now an additional mission requirement in order to hinder the African AI to colonize the Cape frequently
HI Adal's mission "prepare the forces" (?) gives 0.001 piety is that a bug or a intended feature

thanks

To confirm for the Hawaii achievment USA no longer requires the forming country to be a former colonial correct?
That was never a requirement. In 1.32.0 the requirement was to start the campaign as a former colonial nation which is of course impossible. Now you can also start as Hawai'i (HAW), Maui, O'ahu or Kaua'i. As which country you eventually form the USA does not matter, so you can form the unified Hawai'i (UHW) or any other country inbetween as long as it does not prevent you from forming the USA.

That was never a requirement. In 1.32.0 the requirement was to start the campaign as a former colonial nation which is of course impossible. Now you can also start as Hawai'i (HAW), Maui, O'ahu or Kaua'i. As which country you eventually form the USA does not matter, so you can form the unified Hawai'i (UHW) or any other country inbetween as long as it does not prevent you from forming the USA.
Thank you for the explanation I appreciate it I misread the text for the formation requirements. I read:

As meaning you had to be one to the top two AND have your capital in colonial eastern america.

So is Fugger Banking actually fixed? The province count was bugged but also the subsidising is not registering and there's no mention of that in the patch notes. Super glad I didn't buy this dlc with the amount of bugs that would have been caught with 10 minutes of proper testing.

Edit: Can confirm it's not fixed, great job guys. You managed to fix the achievement without actually fixing the achievement. Heaven forbid the fix is actually tested to have worked eh?

Last edited:
malta forts is unchanged for me???
Are you playing on 1.32.1 and does your game show "78cb" as checksum in the main menu? (the checksum in the launcher doesn't count). If you have the correct checksum, you should see the malta change ("Hostile Disembark Time" becomes a province modifier). If you have a different version, you won't see the change and if you have a different checksum, your game is modded or modified in some other way which probably overwrites the change.
2021-11-16_malta.png

Is the team aware of the issue with the "Expand Kilwa" mission where it's impossible to complete if you've leveled the Kilwa City Great Project to tier 3?
Yes, this is already fixed for 1.32.2.
You should fix “Central Authority Asserted” too. It gave +10 absolutism but -10 now and this is definitely wrong.
Already fixed for 1.32.2, too.
HI Adal's mission "prepare the forces" (?) gives 0.001 piety is that a bug or a intended feature

thanks
A bug, this is fixed too for 1.32.2.
So is Fugger Banking actually fixed? The province count was bugged but also the subsidising is not registering and there's no mention of that in the patch notes. Super glad I didn't buy this dlc with the amount of bugs that would have been caught with 10 minutes of proper testing.

Edit: Can confirm it's not fixed, great job guys. You managed to fix the achievement without actually fixing the achievement. Heaven forbid the fix is actually tested to have worked eh?
We made a first fix for this achievement for 1.32.1, but apparently there's another issue with it that need to be fixed in addition. We're working on doing it for 1.32.2.

• 1Like
Reactions:
@Pavía while at Kilwa. The 30 Influence for their unique Estate privileg is waaay to high, so I would never pick it, as it would be very hard to get away ever again (together with the +5 Power Costs, what is fair). I guess 15-20 Influence would be still high, but managable. Maybe you could combine it with -5 Crownland for picking. (or smth)

Reactions:
Yes, this is already fixed for 1.32.2.

Already fixed for 1.32.2, too.

A bug, this is fixed too for 1.32.2.

We made a first fix for this achievement for 1.32.1, but apparently there's another issue with it that need to be fixed in addition. We're working on doing it for 1.32.2.
I mean I don't blame you devs individually for these flaws, I understand they're a consequence of management refusing to pay for proper testing because I doubt any dev would think running AI games is sufficient to find bugs (I mean this patch has proved it isn't yet again) but is there really not even a base line of testing to ensure fixes actually fix the issue beyond having modified the line of code that was first recognised? Is there really no proper testing going on at all because management are that fucking cheap? Really don't want you guys to think I'm having a go at the devs, obviously they do their best with what they have but clearly if there's not a base line of functionality testing going on then the management is atrocious.

I mean I don't blame you devs individually for these flaws, I understand they're a consequence of management refusing to pay for proper testing because I doubt any dev would think running AI games is sufficient to find bugs (I mean this patch has proved it isn't yet again) but is there really not even a base line of testing to ensure fixes actually fix the issue beyond having modified the line of code that was first recognised? Is there really no proper testing going on at all because management are that fucking cheap? Really don't want you guys to think I'm having a go at the devs, obviously they do their best with what they have but clearly if there's not a base line of functionality testing going on then the management is atrocious.

I think you underestimate the complexity of the game and all the possibilities that needs to be tested - not to mention the amount of dependencies in a code like this (meaning that a change in one place can have completely unexpected results in a whole other place). I'm not saying it's okay to have bugs of any sort. But believing that you can release a massive update like 1.32 to a game like EU4 and expect 0 bugs is not feasible unfortunately.

What I mean with that is that because there are bugs it doesn't mean there wasn't "a base line of functionality testing"

• 4Like
Reactions:
I think you underestimate the complexity of the game and all the possibilities that needs to be tested - not to mention the amount of dependencies in a code like this (meaning that a change in one place can have completely unexpected results in a whole other place). I'm not saying it's okay to have bugs of any sort. But believing that you can release a massive update like 1.32 to a game like EU4 and expect 0 bugs is not feasible unfortunately.

What I mean with that is that because there are bugs it doesn't mean there wasn't "a base line of functionality testing"

I'd like to also point out that AI running tests is only ONE method of testing we are using, we also have manual QA running the game. However like in standard software engineering testing everything is impossible, so we try to focus on the areas we think are most susceptible to be bugged by our changes. Sometimes we estimate it properly, sometimes we don't, but we always try our best. We hope to be better with each iteration and patch :)

• 5Like
Reactions:

I'm sorry but this is an incredibly weak excuse. I never said you shouldn't have bugs of any sort that would be absurd, obviously a game as complex as EU4 is going to have bugs every time you patch something that's not something I have a problem with. My point is when you're releasing content and you haven't even tested the features being released to see if they're working in the release build, that's unacceptable from a consumer stand point. It's like if I bought a 2021 Ford Ranger only to find the electric seats are broken in every one off the line, this is basic quality assurance not being done. Then releasing a patch where you claim to have fixed the issue but yet again haven't tested it to see if it's actually fixed is just reinforcing the lack of testing. Like the only excuse for these achievements releasing completely broken is no one checked to see if they functioned in the release build and while I understand there's a lot to test, in a patch that doesn't bring any major mechanics reworks and consists of new variants of existing content expecting the content to be tested to ensure basic functionality is not unreasonable. Achievements are not some new feature. I've been playing EU4 and paradox games generally for a long time but it's readily apparent that since Emperor the level of basic functionality testing has been completely inadequate.

I'm not trying to blame the devs because obviously they're just doing what they're told to focus on but if these sort of incredibly apparent bugs are getting through it speaks to a fundamental failure in the management of development where early adopters are being treated like beta testers despite paying for a finished product. I mean cmon, you can't seriously say with the way PU AE was changed that it isn't a priority to actually test how that change translates to gameplay? I could have found that problem with PU AE for missions in under a minute with console commands. Maybe the problem snuck through on the final build that was for release but surely that build should be the most thoroughly tested one to avoid these sorts of issues? I am never going to expect zero bugs, and arguing as if that's my claim when I never said as much is incredibly disingenuous, but I and many other consumers expect incredibly obvious bugs that anyone could find in a few short minutes of testing new changes to not make it through regularly. Shit even one or two of those is acceptable given the complexity of a game like this but with the last few DLC patches there's been multiple significant to game breaking and easily replicable bugs every time.

Personally I'm done buying paradox products until this improves, whatever is going on in the process behind the scenes that results in finished products functioning like open betas needs to be addressed. Hell maybe just actually start having open betas, at least then people like me wont spend hours of their lives trying to achieve something only to find out they were fools for expecting a release product to be reliably functional, this is only the third major patch in a row that's done it. I guess I should just know better than to trust Paradox at this point. I mean no ill will or personal attacks towards the development team here, it is readily apparent this is a problem within the structure of the company if products this dysfunctional repeatedly get through testing to release and I doubt any one individual is responsible. It's a corporate culture issue that is cropping up amongst many large developers in recent years where unfinished products are released with the expectation of only making them properly work later.

@Pavía while at Kilwa. The 30 Influence for their unique Estate privileg is waaay to high, so I would never pick it, as it would be very hard to get away ever again (together with the +5 Power Costs, what is fair). I guess 15-20 Influence would be still high, but managable. Maybe you could combine it with -5 Crownland for picking. (or smth)
Interesting suggestion, we'll think about it. ;)
@Pavía Will the Female heir generation system (currently not working) be fixed for the next patch, coming on December? There are two threads open: one in here and another one in the Bugs report section. Thanks in advance!
We've been working on fixing this bug, although I'm not sure if it will make the cut for the next patch, or it will have to wait a bit more.

I'm sorry but this is an incredibly weak excuse. I never said you shouldn't have bugs of any sort that would be absurd, obviously a game as complex as EU4 is going to have bugs every time you patch something that's not something I have a problem with. My point is when you're releasing content and you haven't even tested the features being released to see if they're working in the release build, that's unacceptable from a consumer stand point. It's like if I bought a 2021 Ford Ranger only to find the electric seats are broken in every one off the line, this is basic quality assurance not being done. Then releasing a patch where you claim to have fixed the issue but yet again haven't tested it to see if it's actually fixed is just reinforcing the lack of testing. Like the only excuse for these achievements releasing completely broken is no one checked to see if they functioned in the release build and while I understand there's a lot to test, in a patch that doesn't bring any major mechanics reworks and consists of new variants of existing content expecting the content to be tested to ensure basic functionality is not unreasonable. Achievements are not some new feature. I've been playing EU4 and paradox games generally for a long time but it's readily apparent that since Emperor the level of basic functionality testing has been completely inadequate.

I'm not trying to blame the devs because obviously they're just doing what they're told to focus on but if these sort of incredibly apparent bugs are getting through it speaks to a fundamental failure in the management of development where early adopters are being treated like beta testers despite paying for a finished product. I mean cmon, you can't seriously say with the way PU AE was changed that it isn't a priority to actually test how that change translates to gameplay? I could have found that problem with PU AE for missions in under a minute with console commands. Maybe the problem snuck through on the final build that was for release but surely that build should be the most thoroughly tested one to avoid these sorts of issues? I am never going to expect zero bugs, and arguing as if that's my claim when I never said as much is incredibly disingenuous, but I and many other consumers expect incredibly obvious bugs that anyone could find in a few short minutes of testing new changes to not make it through regularly. Shit even one or two of those is acceptable given the complexity of a game like this but with the last few DLC patches there's been multiple significant to game breaking and easily replicable bugs every time.

Personally I'm done buying paradox products until this improves, whatever is going on in the process behind the scenes that results in finished products functioning like open betas needs to be addressed. Hell maybe just actually start having open betas, at least then people like me wont spend hours of their lives trying to achieve something only to find out they were fools for expecting a release product to be reliably functional, this is only the third major patch in a row that's done it. I guess I should just know better than to trust Paradox at this point. I mean no ill will or personal attacks towards the development team here, it is readily apparent this is a problem within the structure of the company if products this dysfunctional repeatedly get through testing to release and I doubt any one individual is responsible. It's a corporate culture issue that is cropping up amongst many large developers in recent years where unfinished products are released with the expectation of only making them properly work later.
We already have explained a few times in the past weeks that we have different people testing the game, and that the AI testing is only one part of the process. Sometimes a bug is tricky to found and fix (e.g., the 'Fugger Banking' achievement, as we've already done 2-3 different fixes to it). Other times a change goes under our radar (the PU/AE, as its effect was way harder than initially thought). And a lot of times bugs are already found and fixed while doing the testing, but obviously that doesn't go into the changelog, so that makes a lot of our work 'invisible', as you won't notice it.

What we're trying to do, at least in the past months, is to commit the studio on fixing a lot of already existing bugs, which has become increasingly more complicated in the last versions of the game, as it now holds a lot of different game systems, with very different code and script, as you already know. Because of that, and because we don't think the game should be a 'beta' for the players, we haven't added more features in the last Immersion Pack (with the only exception of Judaism, but it is part of an already existing game system). And when we thought it would be a good idea to have 'open betas', we did, as with a couple of patches in May/June (IIRC).

So, we're obviously sorry when things doesn't work as our players would expect them to be. But, at the same time, we've put a lot of effort all this year to improve the general state of the game, and to have a much better release than 1.31 was; IMHO, we've achieved both, and although we're not happy about having new issues, we have to live with them, and what we'll do is keep working on fixing them ASAP.

• 6Like
Reactions:
In my case, the performance has barely change if I compared with the 1.31, I'd like to know if there is any chance to improve the performance in the 1.32.2 or it's going that it's going to be for the 1.33