• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Mulliman said:
Do you really want the AI managing your nation?

Nope.
But if you have a 20 person game and genoa drops out I'd rather not have to rehost for the 8th time that hour :) And as thats the killer I'd rather have the AI than have to break game, find another person and then rehost.

I guess if you dont want the AI to take over you do one of two things

1) Stop, save and call it a day till the person can play again
2) Stop, look in "vnet-2 game waiting list" and see if another person is waiting who can join in dynamically.

Mowers said:
Nope.
But if you have a 20 person game and genoa drops out I'd rather not have to rehost for the 8th time that hour :) And as thats the killer I'd rather have the AI than have to break game, find another person and then rehost.

If anything, if the AI would take over you would be forced to a rehost sooner than with the player being ghosted.

Anyway, dynamic joining should be the thing to go with, as mentioned before.

Mowers said:
Nope.

I guess if you dont want the AI to take over you do one of two things

1) Stop, save and call it a day till the person can play again
2) Stop, look in "vnet-2 game waiting list" and see if another person is waiting who can join in dynamically.

The way I always handle it when someone drops is to pause the game and wait a moment to see if they are going to try and rejoin. In Civ4 or a Pdox game, this still allows the other players to chat and manage their own countries. If you're not coming back right away, I'll unpause and let the AI keep going for you. If you ARE coming back, pausing 2 minutes is vastly easier than a 10-15 minute rehost process.

Duuk said:
The way I always handle it when someone drops is to pause the game and wait a moment to see if they are going to try and rejoin. In Civ4 or a Pdox game, this still allows the other players to chat and manage their own countries. If you're not coming back right away, I'll unpause and let the AI keep going for you. If you ARE coming back, pausing 2 minutes is vastly easier than a 10-15 minute rehost process.

Once again: It should NOT be taken over by the AI, but ghosted then......This with dynamic joining and we're set for MP ;)

No need for pause, no need for rehost!

FAL said:
Once again: It should NOT be taken over by the AI, but ghosted then......This with dynamic joining and we're set for MP ;)

No need for pause, no need for rehost!

You're not understanding.

If the AI takes you over while the game is paused, it has no impact on you. If you don't come back, we unpause and the AI continues. No game issues.

If you "ghost", and let's say you're playing as France, then suddenly France isn't colonizing or anything. If you don't come back, the game is forced to rehost after waiting 5 minutes to see if you come back.

Dynamic joining is wonderful in all ways, and prevents people that need to quit from ruining a game by making a Great Power a brain dead waste.

thinking about this one would not necessarily need the AI to take over immediately. Game tells u someone has dropped, you pause and wait for player to join. If the player doesnt join then you select either

1. play on with ai
2. select new player from list of spares in vnet 2

Mowers said:
thinking about this one would not necessarily need the AI to take over immediately. Game tells u someone has dropped, you pause and wait for player to join. If the player doesnt join then you select either

1. play on with ai

Aye, this would be the best solution to the problem.

All in all, I see some very nice suggestions in this thread that could improve MP significantly. :)

Mowers said:

1. play on with ai

This would be an excellent option, too. "Wait for player" "Replace with AI"

Duuk said:
You're not understanding.

If the AI takes you over while the game is paused, it has no impact on you. If you don't come back, we unpause and the AI continues. No game issues.

If you "ghost", and let's say you're playing as France, then suddenly France isn't colonizing or anything. If you don't come back, the game is forced to rehost after waiting 5 minutes to see if you come back.

Ehm no. You're not understanding.

Being braindead is to be preferred over being AI, believe me. In MP we even ask players who can't play, to at least join the game and quit it again to let the country be braindead. At least it prevents then the AI from crippling the fleet/army, to waste money and to do the wrong tech investment...

The country should be braindead, with a dynamical join option. So if the player/another player rejoins the game and takes the country, it can be played again. But no AI! No sir.

Of course, would you have an actual smart AI as opposed to EU2, then the discussion is moot.

FAL said:

Being braindead is to be preferred over being AI, believe me. In MP we even ask players who can't play, to at least join the game and quit it again to let the country be braindead. At least it prevents then the AI from crippling the fleet/army, to waste money and to do the wrong tech investment...

The country should be braindead, with a dynamical join option. So if the player/another player rejoins the game and takes the country, it can be played again. But no AI! No sir.

Of course, would you have an actual smart AI as opposed to EU2, then the discussion is moot.
Seconded! :)

Have player-dropped countries per default run braindead as in EU2 doing nothing whatsoever but give the host the option (from his Master Control Panel of MP Domination) to activate the AI for any currently braindead nation at his sole discretion.

FAL said:

There should at least be the option to replace with the AI. The dropped out player might not be coming back.

Peter Ebbesen said:
Have player-dropped countries per default run braindead as in EU2 doing nothing whatsoever but give the host the option (from his Master Control Panel of MP Domination) to activate the AI for any currently braindead nation at his sole discretion.

A Master Control Panel of MP Domination might be a little overkill, but maybe some ingame Control Panel for the host might not be so wrong after all...

Peter Ebbesen said:

Dunno about the "Master Control Panel of MP Domination", but a simple prompt ("activate AI? yes/no") when someone drops would be nice, and a prompt when someone attempts to join ("Peter Ebbesen wants to join as Austria. Yes/no") might be a decent way of screening hot-joining.

A simple "allow hot-join" toggle would be a way of allowing players to join and blocking trolls. If someone drops, the host enables hot-joining. He then gets prompts (probably after he's paused the game to wait for the MIAs) from the incoming players. Then the host toggles again, slamming the door in "vnetL3337n00b"'s face after the troll has made eleventeen unwelcome attempts to join the game.

Even if he somehow gets the password, I'd still like the ability to screen a troll as he attempts to join a game that I'm hosting. I don't want to be forced to re-host if someone manages to join and screw up the game with some unbalancing DoWs (for those of you who are HoI2ers, think of an Axis Hungarian joining four months after the last save, during the Battle of Britain, DoWing Russia. You've got to go back and replay critical moments in the game.)

I don't just want a locked door. I want to be able to look at the apartment security camera and buzz in my guest.

Duuk said:
Um, yeah it would.

Currently, if you drop in a Pdox game, the country just sits there doing a fine impersonation of Terry Schiavo.

Please let Terry Schiavo run my country over the AI!

Duuk said:
This would be an excellent option, too. "Wait for player" "Replace with AI"

Ah, now that's better!

Brasidas said:
I don't just want a locked door. I want to be able to look at the apartment security camera and buzz in my guest.

Seconded!

Well, the 4 most important things that needs to be imo are :

- Dynamic joining (A MUST!)
- Option of leaving the country ghost or AI (host side) (For my part, I prefer the country to be ghost, even if it's for the whole 4 hours session)
- Password protected game
- Using something that avoid router's configuration (a central server that connects players) Of course, we also need to ability to connect without this server (since their server always crash).

I suggest :

- Registered nickname for multiplayer (far from being a must, but if this game becomes really popular, this will be needed)

balinus said:
- Registered nickname for multiplayer (far from being a must, but if this game becomes really popular, this will be needed)

Yes, a good suggestion also, although I'd miss being able to change names constantly :D

balinus said:
Then it would be possible to have some kind of record for each player, such as total amount of time played, won and lost wars and average income growth per session as well as favourite nation :).

Mulliman said:
Then it would be possible to have some kind of record for each player, such as total amount of time played, won and lost wars and average income growth per session as well as favourite nation :).

DOH! Now we'll have people fighting to the death as Gelre against France and England, just trying to salvage a "white peace" so they don't ruin their win/loss record! :D