• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
hot-joining or whatever you wish to call the Civ4 "joining a running game" feature would be great. But one thing that I'd like to see would be a functional mod-dir for MP.

With HoI2 atm, it is necessary to install a whole new copy of the game (which is apparently beyond many players' abilities/comfort zone) in order to play mods with MP.

It would be nice if the new engine allowed for mods to be applied to a common install when playing MP, as was the case in HoI1 Platinum. I have yet to actually play EU2 MP to test mod-dir MP there, but its a feature I'd like to see functional from the get-go.

Joining and leaving on-going games could be so fun.Like in CoD and CS,you join server,play a while and leave.Of course there should be passworded servers so group can play their game in peace without any outsider joining their game.I personally dont have time for long sessions in firm group so joining game whenever you want and leave it when you getg bored would work like a charm for me.

Passworded gameswould be sweet, dynamic rehosts would be even more sweet :) And I'd like the ability for the host to choose wether players select the nations themselves, or wether the host assigns the nations (though that might be problematic to implement with dynamic joining?).

Also, one very very important thing: Pausing. I'd like to see a system where only the host can pause, but where each player would have a number of 30 second "Time-outs" per session (the number of time-outs should be up to the host, ranging from zero to unlimited; though personally I'd consider one time-out for a six hour session more than way enough). Pause-exploiting will be an issue in any real-time multiplayer game, not to mention it is frustrating beyond belief for the other players when one player pauses because of a non-important issue.

I have been looking forward to this for a long time. It would be nice for us all to make it into beta together to test the MP aspect of it.

It is certainly a prime time to fix the Trade and Colonization model. It was wrong that holding Milan was less profitable then holding a swathe of worthless islands in the Caribbean that were so unprofitable as to be ignored until the 18th century (and sugar cane was imported).

Daniel A said:
Well, if the host crashes I guess even Civ4 can't handle that without a rehost ;)

Dedicated server with dynamic joining would solve that :)

As Quake, for example, has it for multiplayer...The dedicated server is somewhere (say in pdox HQ) and everyone can join it, vote for a scenario to start and it starts to run, till everyone votes to stop and save it. Everyone can log in later and continue another time.

No more rehosts, unless the dedicated server itself would be struck by an A-bomb ;)

Daniel A said:
So there you are Damocles :) You disappeared after your short comeback. We have missed you :(

It's not like anyone ever bothers to PM me ;).

New computer. New responsibilities. I missed the start of the game and decided to sit out the next round.

And keep in mind Dan...I probably played more EUII MP before your first game then you've played since.

I got tired of the same ole building up. Most of us have got it down to such a science that Trade rules the day with an iron fist.

It would be sweet if EUIII found a way around the universitary firewall i'm behind *prays*
I can play DoD and the like without trouble. But Valkyrente is stumped :(

RedKetchup said:
As long as there is direct ip to ip connection option, too many games I've returned lately cause the only way to play was through some kind of metaserver.

God I hate that. Give me MORE connection options, not less! Call to Power 2 was like that, and it bugged me to no end. Especially when Activision shut down their server for it. Luckily, Apolyton opened their own, but still.

Ozzeh said:
That would not really be an improvement.

Um, yeah it would.

Currently, if you drop in a Pdox game, the country just sits there doing a fine impersonation of Terry Schiavo.

Duuk said:
Um, yeah it would.

Currently, if you drop in a Pdox game, the country just sits there doing a fine impersonation of Terry Schiavo.
Do you really want the AI managing your nation?

Duuk said:
Um, yeah it would.

I really prefer ghosted country to AI country. If there is dynamic joining, you drop and then you rejoin at a few minutes. In the meantime I really prefer for my country not do anything than AI (and who knows what can do, DOWing, expending the money you were saving in who knows what, dividing your fleet in 500 1-warship squadrons all over the world). Nop.

for E3 MP I'd like players who are reliable, are civil and fun to play with, don't abuse others, don't whine for edits and don't quit games after they lose an important war.

but I don't think there is much paradox can do about all that. :D