• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
vanilla vs. 1.03c

I much prefer Vicky 1.03c to vanilla 1.00. These guys put a lot of work into improving the game and this is reflected in the patches. I also really like this eu2Vic converter. Since I would like to use both of them at the same time, I have a problem.

What I am about to try doing is creating a new scenario .eug file; let's call it alt.eug. I'll start it in 1836. Once I have created this file, I am going to load in the data from the converted EU2 savegame. Then I will edit some files such as revolt.txt, the ai folder, the flags and shields and some of the .inc files, and put these edited files and folders into the alt.eug folder. When I do this, will I be able to use alt.eug in Vic 1.03c? Or will it still come up in vanilla?

How does the converted EU2 file decide that it will only work with vanilla? Where do you look for this information? What is different in the converted file from the scenarios already available in the startup menu?

Also, I think I understand pretty much how the scenario files work, except for this part which comes right below the selectable nations.

capital = { 0 0 0 0 0 0 1368 999 936 0 930 971 978 810 0 752 0 0 945 0 0 0 0 0 0 422 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 865 833 358 299 790 304 352 788 267 305 334 0 297 342 264 0 802 795 353 335 0 0 840 841 855 815 737 846 0 311 0 0 0 376 290 0 255 0 0 657 0 280 655 0 708 1439 1879 1476 1323 1079 1077 1473 1884 1895 1883 2278 1952 1945 1929 1940 1932 1931 1501 1920 1919 1918 1498 1917 1483 1897 1905 1912 1464 1469 1484 1462 1463 1496 1490 1488 1504 1519 1518 2253 2155 1302 1256 1318 1816 2362 0 2525 1551 1643 1616 1521 1958 2005 2011 1974 0 2337 2559 2310 0 0 0 1134 588 0 0 1186 0 0 0 1697 0 0 1731 1711 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1751 2462 2651 2427 2647 2607 2394 0 2081 2295 1862 2090 1303 2694 2700 2693 1987 0 0 0 787 360 794 796 0 0 1336 0 0 1050 0 0 847 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 399 }

...after capital, there are a bunch of numbers for province, total, military, and industry. I don't really understand what these are for.

obnoxiotheclown said:
I much prefer Vicky 1.03c to vanilla 1.00.
I have yet to see anyone who doesn't ;)

For all practical purposes, 1.03c is vanilla Vicky.

:) Rafiki

Well I don’t exactly know what you mean but as Rafiki said 1.03c is considered the vanilla version.

The program creates a converts a EU2 save game into a Victoria save game. You need to place this save game in the save game folder of your Victoria copy. You can edit the save game in any way you want after converting it.

Files like revolt.txt and flags and shields are stored separately, you don’t need to edit anything in the save game to use an alteration of those files.

Like rafiki and Ironfoundersson said, 1.03c is considered vanilla Vicky. The reason we say it only works well with vanilla has basically to do with converting the countries. As some mods add countries, changes countries or take away countries.

If you convert a file from AGCEEP -> VIP the countries that weren’t in the converters ‘countries.txt’ file wont convert, they will become uncolonized areas after the conversion. If you open the ‘countries.txt’ file in the ‘data’ folder where you keep your EU2Vic you see how it is done.

So this means that the converter can convert any EU2 ‘.eug’ save game file but the results are only guaranteed to be satisfactory country conversion wise if converted from vanilla EU2 to vanilla Vic.

The headers 'capital', 'province', 'total', 'prestige', 'military', 'industry' are stripped from the GC scenario file. And to tell you the truth I have no idea what those individual numbers are for either. :D

montyP said:
Like rafiki and Ironfoundersson said, 1.03c is considered vanilla Vicky. The reason we say it only works well with vanilla has basically to do with converting the countries. As some mods add countries, changes countries or take away countries.

If you convert a file from AGCEEP -> VIP the countries that weren’t in the converters ‘countries.txt’ file wont convert, they will become uncolonized areas after the conversion. If you open the ‘countries.txt’ file in the ‘data’ folder where you keep your EU2Vic you see how it is done.

So this means that the converter can convert any EU2 ‘.eug’ save game file but the results are only guaranteed to be satisfactory country conversion wise if converted from vanilla EU2 to vanilla Vic.

The headers 'capital', 'province', 'total', 'prestige', 'military', 'industry' are stripped from the GC scenario file. And to tell you the truth I have no idea what those individual numbers are for either. :D

I appreciate the above responses. So when I load the converted savegame file, it is actually running in the version of Vic that I have installed, not 1.00 as I thought.

I just looked in the countries.txt file for eu2Vic. If I changed a line such as this one LOU = CSA #Lousiana = CSA
to LOU = U18 #Lousiana = Louisiana
and then edited Victoria's U18 tag, would the converter convert it, or should I just do this type of editing manually in Vicky's appropriate folders?

I still think I should create a new scenario folder for any eu2Vic savegames I create, because then I can change country.csv, the ai files, some of the POPs, the flags, and whatever else I want to change. This will be very time-consuming but it means that I will then be able to switch back and forth between my own scenarios, the ones that came on the CD and whatever scenarios such as VIP that I download off this site.

In the scenario files, you have entries like this:
pop = "scenarios/VIPscen/pops/WUR_wurtemberg.csv"
pop = "scenarios/VIPscen/pops/ZUL_zulu.csv"

# Inventions
event = "db\tech\industry_inventions.txt"
event = "db\tech\army_inventions.txt"
event = "db\tech\navy_inventions.txt"
event = "db\tech\commerce_inventions.txt"
event = "db\tech\culture_inventions.txt"

# Resource changes
#include = "scenarios/VIPscen/VIP_Resources.inc"

include = "scenarios/VIPscen/travancore.inc"
include = "scenarios/VIPscen/modena.inc"
include = "scenarios/VIPscen/bavaria.inc"
include = "scenarios/VIPscen/england.inc"
include = "scenarios/VIPscen/france.inc"
### sweden divided with norway
include = "scenarios/VIPscen/sweden.inc"
include = "scenarios/VIPscen/norway.inc"
include = "scenarios/VIPscen/denmark.inc"

So I'm assuming that if I make a new scenario file, I would also create a corresponding folder which would hold all the files I'm going to edit. I would include these edited files in alt.eug just like the above examples.

obnoxiotheclown said:
I appreciate the above responses. So when I load the converted savegame file, it is actually running in the version of Vic that I have installed, not 1.00 as I thought.

That’s what this forum is all about, helping each other out. We have all been new to Vic and know what we're up against. :D And yes, it will run as the Vic version you have installed.

obnoxiotheclown said:
I just looked in the countries.txt file for eu2Vic. If I changed a line such as this one LOU = CSA #Lousiana = CSA
to LOU = U18 #Lousiana = Louisiana
and then edited Victoria's U18 tag, would the converter convert it, or should I just do this type of editing manually in Vicky's appropriate folders?

The converter will convert it to U18 (= Lousiana), but for it load in Vic you have to add U18 in ‘country.csv’ and ‘world_names.csv’, and add a U18-party file and U18-flag and U18-shield yourself.

obnoxiotheclown said:
I still think I should create a new scenario folder for any eu2Vic savegames I create, because then I can change country.csv, the ai files, some of the POPs, the flags, and whatever else I want to change. This will be very time-consuming but it means that I will then be able to switch back and forth between my own scenarios, the ones that came on the CD and whatever scenarios such as VIP that I download off this site.

In the scenario files, you have entries like this:
pop = "scenarios/VIPscen/pops/WUR_wurtemberg.csv"
pop = "scenarios/VIPscen/pops/ZUL_zulu.csv"

# Inventions
event = "db\tech\industry_inventions.txt"
event = "db\tech\army_inventions.txt"
event = "db\tech\navy_inventions.txt"
event = "db\tech\commerce_inventions.txt"
event = "db\tech\culture_inventions.txt"

# Resource changes
#include = "scenarios/VIPscen/VIP_Resources.inc"

include = "scenarios/VIPscen/travancore.inc"
include = "scenarios/VIPscen/modena.inc"
include = "scenarios/VIPscen/bavaria.inc"
include = "scenarios/VIPscen/england.inc"
include = "scenarios/VIPscen/france.inc"
### sweden divided with norway
include = "scenarios/VIPscen/sweden.inc"
include = "scenarios/VIPscen/norway.inc"
include = "scenarios/VIPscen/denmark.inc"

So I'm assuming that if I make a new scenario file, I would also create a corresponding folder which would hold all the files I'm going to edit. I would include these edited files in alt.eug just like the above examples.

What I do is I copy a version of Victoria to a different folder and name it Victoria_modded (or what ever) and do all the changes there. Then you can edit all the files you want and play around and still have the vanilla version to return to.

I'd like to thank the people that made Eu2Vic - I finally downloaded it last night and tried it on an ongoing game of Eu2 (which in turn had been a CK game)

I LOVE IT! :D

I've been wondering. What exactly is the requirements for getting industrial tech? And is it possible to start a converted game with a machine parts factory?

The reason I'm asking is that every AI controlled nation in my latest converted game possess zero industrial techs. This even goes for the worlds leading economical country the UK. This hurts the AI far more than a player, since the AI doesn't try as hard to get the right techs for industrialization. Most civilized countries (including several Indian and Middeleastern countries) has a decent amount of factories (newest AGCEEP increases the number of manufacturies).

I know that I might be getting different results because I'm using AGCEEP, but that shouldn't make such a drastic difference in the tech level. Also every civilized country seems to have 5-6 land military techs. So apparently being civilized depend not at all on industrial capacity, but only on military tech levels.

I have two suggestions that might improve on the situation:

1 Give the leading AI country in the world a starting machine parts factory, just like the UK has in the beginning of a Vicky game. This should somewhat prevent players from hoarding machine parts thus preventing AI development. No other country should start with a machine parts factory.

2 Be more generous when handling out non-military tech especially industrial tech. In Vicky most civilized country gets around 25 starting techs. In my conversions it is more like 10, except for my own country of course... By dropping requirements more countries will get the needed techs. Ohh... and it shouldn't be possible to start with any tech level above 2. And qualifying for a level 2 tech should be VERY hard.

Well that is just my two cents worth... :)

EDIT: Also in EU2 the island south of South America (Terra del Fuego or something like that) is one province, while it is two provinces in Vicky. The converter should grant both provinces to the owner of the island in EU2, not just one.

Last edited:
I'm having alot of fun with this, but one thing sticks out...no matter what EU scenario I play through and onvert, the population is too low in VIC - and by a large factor.

Any chance of saying at least doubling the populations the the pop converter creates in the next version?

Sute]{h said:
I've been wondering. What exactly is the requirements for getting industrial tech? And is it possible to start a converted game with a machine parts factory?

The reason I'm asking is that every AI controlled nation in my latest converted game possess zero industrial techs. This even goes for the worlds leading economical country the UK. This hurts the AI far more than a player, since the AI doesn't try as hard to get the right techs for industrialization. Most civilized countries (including several Indian and Middeleastern countries) has a decent amount of factories (newest AGCEEP increases the number of manufacturies).

I know that I might be getting different results because I'm using AGCEEP, but that shouldn't make such a drastic difference in the tech level. Also every civilized country seems to have 5-6 land military techs. So apparently being civilized depend not at all on industrial capacity, but only on military tech levels.

i'm also using agceep1.36
biggest difference from previous versiona is tech research time has increased a great deal

nice converter! Its great and easy to use! I just hope you guys add more countries since as my game as Brittany it was simply merged into France and I couldnt play as them anymore. Oh well :( I just hope you guys convert diplomacy, since I lost all my Vassals and alliances. But nevertheless keep up the good work

Now that the e-boutique has supposedly been fixed, I'm mere hours away from ordering the Megapack and look forward to enjoying HOI2, Ck and Vicky.

That being said, I started to browse around the Vicky mods forums. After poking around here, let me just say: Great work!!

I look forward to using your fine product. :)

montyP said:
Would be cool also, as I mentioned in another thread, to add a couple of more countries to that mod (using the UXX –tags) like Byzantine, Burgundy, Novgorod, Brittany, Provence, Iraq, Sudan etc.

(cough, BOHEMIA, cough) ;)

If it's not already in there, that is...

Bohemia is already in... :)

A GREAT utility. A big thanx to all involved parties in making this. I have just one question. Do you plan to make an option where the user can choose between transfering the cores from EU--->Vic or just copy the cores from VIC GC1836 into the new game.

Its just not so fun to see OE having claimes on Hungary or seing USA without claims on their historical area. So i did a conversation from a EU2 1700 game and manually changed the "national provinces" of Sweden, Russia, OE, USA, France, Spain and Austria.

Yasko said:
A GREAT utility. A big thanx to all involved parties in making this. I have just one question. Do you plan to make an option where the user can choose between transfering the cores from EU--->Vic or just copy the cores from VIC GC1836 into the new game.

Its just not so fun to see OE having claimes on Hungary or seing USA without claims on their historical area. So i did a conversation from a EU2 1700 game and manually changed the "national provinces" of Sweden, Russia, OE, USA, France, Spain and Austria.

I don't think that will be implemented, you will have to do it manually I’m afraid.

I don’t know if there will be any further work on EU2VIC at all.

ForVictory said:
What if you play the Byzantines and want to transfer it into Victoria? Do they become Greece or what?
Yes-- check the EU2Vic Tag Conversion thread, second post, in the "merger" section.