• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelM

For the Glory lead
10 Badges
Jun 30, 2004
crystalempiregames.com
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For The Glory
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
Link

Are you guys thinking of doing anything with this?

chefkoch said:
Would it then be possible to add 100 new countries instead of only 20?
I think that would probably take... an hour or so, counting debugging. Can't you think of anything more ambitious? :D

My intention was to open such thread, but too late now... :)

As I said from the beginning, I am personally very interested in this.

I have two goals:
1. enhance EU2: fixes, modifications (AI, script engine, ...), interface including graphics, new features, etc
2. make AGCEEP compatible but still free, of course

I think I have a sufficient experience about the game. I don't really have doubt about financial aspects (and I have some numbers/clues about fanbase). I already brought my own professional experience to AGCEEP. I have required skills to manage such project and can devote all my time to it (not only my "free" time) but I can't do it alone.

At last, this is not about competition with other Paradox games but life for this beloved "older" title by keeping original spirit of the game (and AGCEEP Mission Statement, of course).
And even if competition arises, Paradox will be winner too...

Of course we have to discuss about it in the HC but I don't see why AGCEEP could not be interested in an evolution of EU2 going in a direction we fully agree with, and furthermore if we actively participate to it with total control of the mod by HC on one side and the source code by a talented team (that can include HC members - at least me - but not only HC) on the other side. And, once again, game and mod will always be separated with AGCEEP totally free as ever.

If some talented programmers are interested, please contact me.

@MichaelM: see how we worked together on your Event documentation project. We can be both proud of the result and process could be almost the same with the source code... but on a different level.

I think this game has a lot of potential. Just adding some relatively easy things (new event triggers/commands, more tags) could make a great improvement. As I said before, though, my time might be quite limited. Who else around here knows C++?

I have notions and used C. I can learn very quickly and I have no problem reading or modifying code in languages I don't know at all anyway (remember PERL). Always the same logic behind. :)

And I know Visual Studio too but maybe not the last available free version.

Even if some features could be fixed in some hours, it will be a long-term project.

Last edited:
i really like this idea, i dont know how to program but ill really like to try it out :p

YodaMaster said:
I have notions and used C. I can learn very quickly and I have no problem reading or modifying code in languages I don't know at all anyway (remember PERL). Always the same logic behind. :)

And I know Visual Studio too but maybe not the last available free version.
If you know C, you can probably pick up C++ in a week (if you use it a lot). As for Visual Studio, I seem to recall Johan mentioning VC6 projects. I don't think it's a big issue.

Even if some features could be fixed in some hours, it will be a long-term project.
Quite true; this is probably more ambitious than even map-modding. But it is easier for several people to work on it at once, so it might not take quite as long (for the first version, anyway).

Great! I knew it was due to come out, just didn't know it was actually out yet.

Superb, I wish the team a lot of luck and just to reassure you there are still loads of EU2 players who would love to see the game progress to the next level. :D

MichaelM said:
I think this game has a lot of potential. Just adding some relatively easy things (new event triggers/commands, more tags) could make a great improvement. As I said before, though, my time might be quite limited. Who else around here knows C++?

a breakalliance command that works would make life much easier , more cultures, more tags and also graphic changes as yodamaster commented on

chefkoch said:
How about a thread or list where people can say what features/changes they wish so that you have a nice to-do-list?
I already have my own list, a very long list. :)

Maybe it is too soon to start such thread. I don't really know Paradox conditions for now and creating this dev team is the first step.

Nevertheless, listening to players will of course be a priority in the same way we do for the mod but don't expect aliens included. ;)

MichaelM said:
If you know C, you can probably pick up C++ in a week (if you use it a lot). As for Visual Studio, I seem to recall Johan mentioning VC6 projects. I don't think it's a big issue.
You're right about VC6 but I had Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition in mind (free part of Visual Studio).

MichaelM said:
Quite true; this is probably more ambitious than even map-modding. But it is easier for several people to work on it at once, so it might not take quite as long (for the first version, anyway).
This is why choosing an unified programming tool is obviously another step too.

Last edited:
does graphic changes mean , map changes to lands ie splitting a one province into 2 eg a province like apulia?

Great news! I would like to help so much, but I don`t possess the necessary skills.

Toio said:
does graphic changes mean , map changes to lands ie splitting a one province into 2 eg a province like apulia?
No, I meant sprites (cities, for example :) ) and graphical interface of the game (but no revolution in my mind, first needed change is full support of widescreen resolutions) but not the map. For this, let Garbon finish the drawing ! :cool:
And this map will arguably be part of AGCEEP.

And I'm not sure reworking the way the map is built and displayed will be the easiest and more important thing to do in the first place.

Last edited:
Adding a support for bigger and widescreen resolutions probably won't be that hard since you can already hack the game to work in unusual resolutions by hex editing, and that only has minor bugs to fix.

It's time to learn some programming language then. I always wanted to do it, but I didn't really need it for anything as I'm not a creative person. I prefer to tweak what's on the plate, which may or may not be the case with EU engine source code.
I wonder what are the conditions to have access to it if I don't know C++ (or any language other than TurboPascal) yet. :(
You can count me on the dev team Yoda if you like.

Sounds great, YodaMaster. Besides, a lot of the content in AGCEEP would not be able to be implemented in a commercial release due to the impracticality of trying to vet all the text for copyright infringement.

Status
Not open for further replies.