• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Build 111

Alright. After three false starts, the update is on the server.

http://members.shaw.ca/danny-smurf/euevents

Be sure to refresh the page so you get the latest information.

Changes included:

Available events are now read directly from events.txt.
Stripping action_b, action_c, and action_d from a file is available (not particularly well tested yet though -- back up first!)
Event files can be saved as a different file now.

Bugs fixed:
Newly created events are now given a proper file name when saved.
Fixed a problem reading lowercase country tags.
Added several countries to the countries list

Also, using "personal_" as a file prefix when saving (similar to "major_" and flavor_") will now make the program catalog the file into a user-created category on the Open dialog.

Let me know about any bugs or anything else.

Hmmm

I have a little problem with your download page... You have four downøoad possibilitys, my problem is with the third one:

The heading/link says: Update build 96/97/102/105 to 111(95KB)

The "text below" says: Unzip this archive into the EU2 Event Tool program directory to update to build 105

I guess this update willl take all prewious builds up to build 111, and not 105 as the "text below" says? Or am I wrong?

Btw, thanks for the "historical" option :)

Now, we'r ( or I'm :D ) just missing the "erase the random event file" thingie...:rolleyes: ;) :D

Some little problems

two little problems:

The program can not handdle - I suppose - the vassal command

I am having problems with the provinceculture command, first I could select a random province, even when I mannualy add it the program change it to 0. Second, it do not recognizes the -1 value option (state culture).
Nothing serious, off course..

the program also can not read properly the provincereligion command when it is random, as in the religious random events..

Re: Hmmm

Originally posted by Dagfinn
The heading/link says: Update build 96/97/102/105 to 111(95KB)
The "text below" says: Unzip this archive into the EU2 Event Tool program directory to update to build 105
I guess this update willl take all prewious builds up to build 111, and not 105 as the "text below" says? Or am I wrong?

You are right, it updates to Build 111, not Build 105. Thanks for pointing that out. I've corrected the page.

Re: Some little problems

Originally posted by hilal
two little problems:

The program can not handdle - I suppose - the vassal command

I am having problems with the provinceculture command, first I could select a random province, even when I mannualy add it the program change it to 0. Second, it do not recognizes the -1 value option (state culture).
Nothing serious, off course..

The vassal command was an oversight. It's not in the copy of the Event Manual I've got, but mine's a bit dated. I'll update it with the next release.

As for the random stuff you mentioned... you're right, random provinces aren't allowed, though they should be. I've got it all set up so it will accept random provinces, just forgot to add it to the listboxes as an option for provinces. Next release.

I'm not having any problems getting it to recognize -1 for the command Value for province culture. I can write it in, and it reads it back from a file properly.

The next release, for anyone who's interested, could be as early as this weekend, though don't bank on it. More likely will be Tuesday evening. I've decided to take a bit of time to actually PLAY EU2 for a few days. :)

Update for 1.03

As promised, the program's been updated for the 1.03 EU2 patch.

Nothing has been added to the program, but I've made some modifications to the parsing engine to correct for a couple of new quirks that have shown up in some of the 1.03 event files.

On a happy note, because of that, the program will now read the shipping RandomEvents.txt file without errors, leaving the two Japanese files as the only ones that need to be replaced to be read.

The changes will not affect the program's ability to read 1.02 files.

This is a "service release," not a must-have update. The last build will chug along just fine with the EU 1.03 patch, but will not read the three files it warns you about on its first startup, as well as two or three EU 1.03 files. This is basically just to keep everything current with the latest EU patch.

There is no update download for this build. To keep everyone current, builds 111 and prior can no longer be updated. There will be an update download with next week's update, but if you don't download this build, you will need to get the full install package for that one.

That's it for now. The link, as usual, is:

Also, as usual, refresh the page so you get the most current information, and email me with any questions or concerns.

-- The Smurf

Re: Re: Some little problems

Originally posted by dannysmurf

As for the random stuff you mentioned... you're right, random provinces aren't allowed, though they should be. I've got it all set up so it will accept random provinces, just forgot to add it to the listboxes as an option for provinces. Next release.

I'm not having any problems getting it to recognize -1 for the command Value for province culture. I can write it in, and it reads it back from a file properly.

Just for aesthethical effects, it was great if you include the -1 (capital) and the -3 (the same random province of previous command). Both are not a very serious problem because they must be edited trough the window, but I suppose this was a great help for newbies...

About the -1 - state culture option - I intend to tell two things:
- At least at mine, when I put the -1 option for random province it is allways changed to 0..
- The option for -1 value (ie State culture) will not appear with the correct text at command edit option, just a "change culture in to"

One more time, it is a great tool, thanks a lote once more...

A not so obvious use for Eu event editor

I also am using the event editor to another thing:

- read events file to see what they do in a easy way then browse the txt file.

With the events increasing a lot, I suppose this is a very good thing this kind of doc, so i Humbling ask (since I understand nothing about programation) if there are possible that the software will be changed to also produce some documentation in the events (I remember EU1 leader editor produce this) so the events could be better understood to all, including newbies as me.

Re: A not so obvious use for Eu event editor

I also am using the event editor to another thing:

- read events file to see what they do in a easy way then browse the txt file.

With the events increasing a lot, I suppose this is a very good thing this kind of doc, so i Humbling ask (since I understand nothing about programation) if there are possible that the software will be changed to also produce some documentation in the events (I remember EU1 leader editor produce this) so the events could be better understood to all, including newbies as me.

I'm definitely heading in that direction. What I want to do (which ties in directly with this) is read the names and descriptions of each event right out of the game database, rather than just displaying "EVENTNAME5050" or something like that. This has been a main priority since I started.

*flourish* Build 119

Well, Tuesday evening ended about 10 minutes ago, but changes to the webpage held my attention away from packing up the program. Nevertheless, as promised (if 10 minutes late), here is Build 119. Happily, I say that triggers have arrived.

The new build is up on the website. As always:

I've changed the page (obviously). Whatcha think? :D

Changes in this build:

1. TRIGGERS ARE HERE! Make sure to visit the "A Word about Triggers" page for some important info about your own triggers.

2. This is for you, Dagfinn. You can now wipe out every command in a file with the stroke of your mouse. As before, I haven't tested extensively, so back your stuff up before you try this.

Bug Fixes:

3. Invalid Day warning after editing event code fixed
4. Technology group command fixed
5. Program crash when the Command Type box is closed without a selection fixed
6. Error reading two-word country names (eg Ak Koyunlu) fixed (I'm surprised no one caught this one before I did)
7. Country tags are now written out in uppercase, eliminating occassional problems reading them back in

Fixes for my own oversights and more for 1.03:

8. Vassal is now a selectable command
9. Cash is now a selectable command
10. Uxx country tags are now selectable

As always, let me know about any bugs, gotchas, suggestions, irritations, money troubles, problems at work, abusive spouses and papercuts that my program might cause. :)

Thank You

Originally posted by dannysmurf

2. This is for you, Dagfinn. You can now wipe out every command in a file with the stroke of your mouse. As before, I haven't tested extensively, so back your stuff up before you try this.

He, he, very nice Danny...

This will save me the troble of editing the random eventsfile when patch 1.04 is out ( hopefully :confused: )

My code that reads parses triggers is about 10 lines :)

Its all about object-oriented parsing, not line-based.

some few bugs...

Some more little things, none serious, about this great tooll:

- When loading large files (600 k) the software crashes (error in mfc.dll, the message says)

- The command technology do not work properly. It wirtes tech instead of technology and do not recognizes it.

- When cancel is pressed at events edit window the program ends...

Once more: THANKS A LOT DANNY!

Re: some few bugs...

Some more little things, none serious, about this great tooll:

- When loading large files (600 k) the software crashes (error in mfc.dll, the message says)

- The command technology do not work properly. It wirtes tech instead of technology and do not recognizes it.

- When cancel is pressed at events edit window the program ends...

Once more: THANKS A LOT DANNY!

Thanks for this. I'm happy that you like it. And stay tuned, because there's more coming!

I'm aware of the tech/technology problem, and it's already fixed, but I already started work on a couple of new features before I caught it, so I can't get a fix to you until those features are complete. But it is coming.

I can't duplicate the large files bug. In fact, I just tried a 978KB file, and it loaded without problem. I can't duplicate the cancel button bug either.

Make sure you're running the most recent version (as of right now, that's Build 119). If you are, please send me one of the files that the program is crashing on so I can have a look, and let me know which window it is that the cancel button that's causing the problem for you is on so I can have a closer look at that, too (I need to know the title of the window so I can be sure I'm checking the right one).

I think I can discover the problem. If you choose a custom install at first time, the software are not properly installed when you install a new version. One must uninstall before reinstall. I suppose when I reinstall all is solved.
Maybe the larger file has some problems with parsing, I will test again.