• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
SP2 is not a game, it means Service Pack 2. It is a service pack for Microsoft XP released by Microsoft to make XP better and to make Windows XP more secure, with a new security centre in Windows and other functions…

Link:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx

TDJ said:
Hi have any one got it to work 100% with xp?

I can play it on xp. But when I juse Diplomacy or Trade, my screen goes black, and I get a message saying EU1 have found an error.
I have tried all of those thing you jave suggested in this page, none of them works. It still goes down when I juse Dimplomacy or Trade.

Hmm... I use EU unpatched on my Windows XP running computer. Is it possible the problem is unrelated to that part of your system and is merely a game bug?

Save Problem

I've been running EU I on Win98 :) , but recently upgraded to WinXP Pro. Now, I can load and play the game fine (intro videos and everything), but as soon as I hit the save button, she just crashes on me. :mad: If anyone has an idea as to solving this problem, I'd be grateful.
Thanks.

I re-installed the game after the upgrade, and also several times after that, thinking it would correct the problem. I have a Scenarios folder in the EU folder that leads to a Save Games folder.
Bit of an odd problem I'd say, but one thats caused me a lot of grief.

It sounds awfully strange. Nothing like the usual problems we get here..drats.

Apparently uninstalling completely and in detail (storing any old saves in a safe place), defragmenting the harddrive and then installing has worked for some.

(Information gathered from this thread that is for EU2, but the issues faced are not entirely different since the core of the engine is similar.
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58284 )

It Works!!!

Hella everybody!

I just wanted to share my experience with you about this thread.
< I see some time has passed since the last post :) >

I read all these topics to fix my game under WinXP, but none of them were
helpful, unfortunately!

But, guess what! I realized how to resolve the problem!!!

I had some graphical problems, when the first intro <paradox.avi> launched there were no picture, only sound, and after that, the big nothing! When I deleted the avi directory, the game crashed to desktop.

I tried everything: 16bit colors, thumbnail properties, avi folder deletion, directX troubleshooting. But were unsuccessful. So I had to do made up my mind.

The solution is simple:

1.> delete the "avi" files from the "avi" folder
2.> replace them with 0 length files with the same name
you can do that by right clicking on desktop -> new -> text -> and name
the file to "paradox.avi"
3.> do the same with the other three files <good, bad, euintro>
4.> copy the 4 newly created files to "avi" folder, where the original ones were
5.> YATTA!!! The game is running; you don't have to change anything else!

If someday somebody will read this post and will try it, could I ask him/her to give me a feedback if it worked or not.

I hope I helped you, enjoy the game!!! ...and please forgive me my english, it is not my mother tongue.

No good

Just bought EUI in a fine price! Doesn't work though! Tried all the above but no luck...
I have XP SP2, P4 3GHz, all the latest drivers, vast amount of free disk space, latest direct x...

Please tell me I didn't throw away my money...

Thanks!

Hi!

I've got problem with EU. I installed game on my computer about one year ago and it worked fine. Today I installed it again and it doesn't working. When the first intro playing, I can hear sound, but screen is black. When sound's end, there's still black screen and nothing happen.
I have all latest drivers and updates.
I tried: 16bit colors, thumbnail properties, directX troubleshooting, and solution by GyentriPál about change avi movies by empty ones... But it isn't solve my problem.

My notebook: Pentium III (800 Mhz), 128 MB RAM, graphics card: Savage IX 8 MB, OS: WinXP SP2.

Can someone help me?

EDIT:

I disabled my sound card and now game is running. But i haven't sound and music in the game :(

Last edited:
wiland, did you read GyentriPál's post up a bit above and try his solution, it seemed as if it worked. (I'm blaming some update somewhere for why it worked then and not now)

GyentriPál said:
1.> delete the "avi" files from the "avi" folder
2.> replace them with 0 length files with the same name
you can do that by right clicking on desktop -> new -> text -> and name
the file to "paradox.avi"
3.> do the same with the other three files <good, bad, euintro>
4.> copy the 4 newly created files to "avi" folder, where the original ones were
5.> YATTA!!! The game is running; you don't have to change anything else!

vkastanas - if you can get EU to run you have not thrown away your money ;)
But to be able to offer suggestions (of any kind) I need to know where it screws up for you? Won't it install? Will it install but the intro won't run?

wiland said:
Hi!

I tried: 16bit colors, thumbnail properties, directX troubleshooting, and solution by GyentriPál about change avi movies by empty ones... But it isn't solve my problem.

Yes, I read GyentriPál's post, but it isn't solve my problem.

I disabled my sound card and now game is running. But i haven't sound and music in the game

Now I can play the game, but without sound. I don't know why my sound card don't work with the game.

EDIT:

I installed older sound card driver and it solve my problem. Thanks for trying to help me :)

Last edited:
OK then...

I can hear the intro (I guess) music but I'm looking at a black screen...
Then the music stops and nothing happens until I press CTRL+ALT+DEL...
Task manager opens and I'm back where I started with EU not replying...

Oops, sorry wiland. :eek:o
Managed to not read those words for some reason - glad that it worked out anyway.

vkastanas - hmm.. try disabling your sound card? It sounds as if your problem could be the exact twin of wiland's, and that seems like an easy way to test it.

Hmm.. that sounds un-cool, and EU1 is so old that it isn't very well supported anymore (Hence me being the only mod here ;)). Does anyone else visiting this thread have any other suggestions about what might be wrong, or any good things to try?

have you tried to :
- go in the directory of EU
- right-click on EU.exe (or EUGame or whatever the name of the main executable file),
- properties,
- compatibility folder
- tick the square with "execute this progrram in compatibility mode for:", choosing Windows 98

That may help

Disabling my sound card made the game work but silently!
How do I replace my sound card drivers with older ones and is this logical or it will mess up other games for me?

Thanx everyone!

In theory it might mess up other games for you, but if you want to try you can just download and install old drivers, telling windows to ignore that the new drivers are older than the current ones. Or you uninstall the current drivers first. But running silently works too ;)

I just recalled other retro games repackaged in a more expensive way (Space Quest series) and how they claimed to have updated them to modern windows. Then it turned out that they simply packaged it together with DosBox, the "Old-Windows Emulator" - I wonder if that could be a solution to get the game to work where it otherwise would not.. perhaps I should try to test it.

And if it doesn't work with the CD version, there is always the $1 version on GamersGate, which shouldn't have any CD check at all ;)

(Oh, and I got a tip recently - EU1 is an old game, and it might assume that the CD player is always D:, which mich possibly lead to it not finding the CD - relabeling drives is a possible solution in that case.. or if I recall correctly DosBox can "Mount" things under assumed names, running the CD player (maybe called H: IRL) as C: when within the emulator.