• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(27398)

Recruit
Apr 1, 2004
I've played EU for a while now, but I played it on my old computer with Win 98. Now, I have a new laptop with Win XP Home Edition. My problem is that the game begins to load and sound can be heard, but as soon as the video starts to come up, the game minimizes. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, could you please help. :(

Long time since I had EU installed, but the #1 solution to test for all P-dox games is to disable binkplayer, just rename or delete the avi folder and try again.

edit:

GyentriPál, in a post on the second page of this thread found a solution that seems to work (and he would appreciate a little feedback if you try it)

1.> delete the "avi" files from the "avi" folder
2.> replace them with 0 length files with the same name
you can do that by right clicking on desktop -> new -> text -> and name
the file to "paradox.avi"
3.> do the same with the other three files <good, bad, euintro>
4.> copy the 4 newly created files to "avi" folder, where the original ones were
5.> YATTA!!! The game is running; you don't have to change anything else!

Last edited:
I run XP Professional and had similar problems at first. Here's how I fixed it:

1. Place a shortcut on the desktop for Europa, if it's not already there. Right click it and go to properties.

2. Click on the Compatibility tab.

3. Check "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select Windows 98/Me from the drop down menu below it.

4. Check "Disable visual themes".

5. Click ok and run the shortcut. Always use this shortcut from now on to keep the same compatibility settings.

Hope this helps some. It fixed all problems I had with crashing and not working.

Last edited:
crashes the game

hi all!

I've bought the original hungarian version of the EU1.
i've installed it.
but when I start the game it crashes after the first movie: 'paradox entertainement' and I get back to the desktop. :(
and I get no fail message at all.
what is the problem?

I tried the solutions above but it didnt help me. :confused:

what should I do?

i've P4 2.0 Ghz, 768 Gb Ddr 266 Mhz,

thanks for your help..

bajusz said:
hi all!

I tried the solutions above but it didnt help me. :confused:

Hi :)

Did you try deleting the avi - folder as well? (just checking) also make sure your directX is updated to the newest, as should your graphics drivers be.

Nikolai II said:
Hi :)

Did you try deleting the avi - folder as well? (just checking) also make sure your directX is updated to the newest, as should your graphics drivers be.

yes I did it. then nothing happened. just black screen and again back to the desktop.
this afternoon i went visiting my friend. i took the cd. i succesfully isntalled the EU1. and it worked! i do not uderstand at all.
my directX is 9.2. i have Vga Nvidia Gf4 Mx 440..

where to find the touble?? :(

Well, let us borrow a bit from a support fora master :)

MrT said:
  • Uninstall the game (completely!)
  • Perform a Window update to download and install the latest patch to your OS.
  • Update all drivers – sound, video, etc.
  • Download the latest DirectX patch and install. Then run dxdiag and test your sound and graphics to ensure all are working properly.
  • Disable/unplug any unneeded devices.
  • Reinstall the game and apply the most recent patch. 1.10 for EU1
  • Terminate all unnecessary TSRs (the necessary TSRs vary depending on OS)
  • Launch the game…hopefully it will run at this point.

And, on a matter relating with crashes just when the second movie is supposed to start:
Download the latest Windows critical updates for your OS and the latest DirectX patch (currently 9.0). - Rename the \avi subfolder. This results in the loss of the intro videos but may resolve the problem.

And finally Nvidia cards are notorious for causing crashes or problems. If you have one, make sure you have the latest driver. It should be build 40.xx or later.

Good luck, come back and report in :)

Nikolai II said:
Well, let us borrow a bit from a support fora master :)

And, on a matter relating with crashes just when the second movie is supposed to start:
Download the latest Windows critical updates for your OS and the latest DirectX patch (currently 9.0). - Rename the \avi subfolder. This results in the loss of the intro videos but may resolve the problem.

And finally Nvidia cards are notorious for causing crashes or problems. If you have one, make sure you have the latest driver. It should be build 40.xx or later.

Good luck, come back and report in :)

thanks a lot. I think right now I'm having my program for this weekend. :)
I'll give feedback after the reinstallation..
thx again.

fansper said:
And did you solve it? I have the same stupid problem and al this didn't work :mad:

Just to make sure, could you describe your problem with your own words?

(I'm not sure I'll be able to help, but it might be possible..)

coasterfrk said:
I've played EU for a while now, but I played it on my old computer with Win 98. Now, I have a new laptop with Win XP Home Edition. My problem is that the game begins to load and sound can be heard, but as soon as the video starts to come up, the game minimizes. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, could you please help. :(

This has to do with the 32 bit colors Win xp uses.

just select 16 bit colors and all of your problems will be solved.

fansper said:
The intro movie starts ok. But after that you just get kicked out of the program bachk tohr regular windows screen.

You using windows XP?

Did you try also Xanthippus hints about playing in another compability mode? And Singleton Moseby's about 16 bit colours?

Hi, im having pretty much the same problem as people have listed here. The game used to work fine, but now when i run it, it starts up and at the begining of the 2nd video thing the game crashes to the desktop.

I tried all the suggestions made here, renaming and/or deleting the avi folder (that just makes the game crash as soon as it loads, after ksipping the videos)

also tried the thing about makign a desktop icon and changing the properties, etc.

I made sure and I do have all the windwos updates downloaded, and all my video card drivers downloaded, still doesnt work.

IM running XP pro. Ive tried reinstalling the game to no luck. Im confident if i reformat my HD and reinstall the OS it will work, but this isnt really an option, i have programs on here I cant lose. So how is this fixed?

Fregr said:
I havent played EU! in a while so I had to reinstall it. But now I can´t find the patches, does anyone know where ypu can find them??

Paradox's site has been out of comission for a few days, but http://www.patches-scrolls.de/ lists a few mirrors, just enter europa universalis in their searchwindow and select the correct one.

jimmyrules712 said:
Hi, im having pretty much the same problem as people have listed here. The game used to work fine, but now when i run it, it starts up and at the begining of the 2nd video thing the game crashes to the desktop.

I tried all the suggestions made here, renaming and/or deleting the avi folder (that just makes the game crash as soon as it loads, after ksipping the videos)

also tried the thing about makign a desktop icon and changing the properties, etc.

I made sure and I do have all the windwos updates downloaded, and all my video card drivers downloaded, still doesnt work.

IM running XP pro. Ive tried reinstalling the game to no luck. Im confident if i reformat my HD and reinstall the OS it will work, but this isnt really an option, i have programs on here I cant lose. So how is this fixed?

Hi, I also tried to play EU I again on windows XP professional with no luck. I tried all the above suggestions and possible combinations of compatability settings with no succes. Initially the music would play and then the game would minimize and hang. After renaming the avi folder the screen blacks out and windows throws an error message. Any suggestions would be most welcome. FYI, I also resized my screen to 600*800 and switched to 16 bit. I disabled all possible background programs before trying the permutations of compatibility settings. All my frivers and updates are up to date.

Cheers,
Lodewijk

does it work on xp?

Hi have any one got it to work 100% with xp?

I can play it on xp. But when I juse Diplomacy or Trade, my screen goes black, and I get a message saying EU1 have found an error.
I have tried all of those thing you jave suggested in this page, none of them works. It still goes down when I juse Dimplomacy or Trade.