• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi all...

Just a tiny matter to point out. Casus Belli translates into, literally, "cause of war". At the time in history that EU reflects, a CB was used and in many cases was used in a just manner, and vice-versa. Today, however, there's no place in the 21st Century for such a thing and there wasn't a place for it in the latter part of the 20th Century either. There are ofcourse exceptions. During the Cold War for example, even though neither the US or the Soviet Union declared any casus bellis toward each other there was still an understanding in place which kept the world in equilibrium. After the fall of the USSR this balance ceased to be and thus we see things happening all over the globe since that time, actions which the US would never have dreamed of trying to instigate, foment, catalyze or otgherwise act on, eg Bosnia and Kossovo.

Also, today a "casus belli" is rarely ever employed, with the exception of the occasional military dictatorship which pretends to be a republic, eg Turkey. They are one of the few states in the world to still employ casus bellis. They have at least 4, perhaps more, and mostly are against Greece, a state which is in the EU and which is prevented from exploiting its own natural resources in the Aegean on its own continental shelf as a result of one of these cb's. Why doesn't Greece simply ignore the barbaric threats that the Turks typically make against her, you ask? Because at the moment Turkey is still a strategically pivotal region in which the US has placed military bases. Turkey, despite it's true backwardness and despite the fact that they make threats against fellow NATO ally Greece, create general instability in the area, use torure methodically in their armed forces as well as their police force as part of routine training(no exaggeration there either; there was this 3 part documentary I saw once, called "The Roots of Evil" in which some Turkish soldiers who had deserted or otherwise left Turkey all talked at length about what goes on in the Turkish armed forces an gendarmerie and police force. One of them said "They will purposely torture anything there; be it a child, a woman, be they 6 years or yourger or 80 years or older, etc". Those in the armed forces are also made to pledge an oath which states that as soldiers in the armed forces of Turkey they promise to annihilate the whole of the Greek race. It was one of those very rare documentaries thatcome along once in a great while which are truly unique), and are even at this moment committing a genocide against the Kurds, who make up 20+ million of Turkey's 65+ million population(the Turks have not only made the teaching of the Kurdish language a significant crime but have also included any form of expression of Kurdish culture as such as well, including any Kurdish traditional dancing or traditional dress, etc). It's ttuly a shame that the US is so selective in where they use human rights as a pretext for intervention. Turkey is an abomination and grows to be more of one day by day. It's rather bizzare; so many Isralis, Jews, zionists, etc, have effectively used ad nauseum the example of the quote by Hitler when he said: "Who remembers the Armenians today?", this quote is used by them always in a context of why the Jewish Holocaust should never be forgotten. Yet today Israel has made a "good friend" out of Turkey and vice versa, knowing full well the Turks current atrocious behavior as well as their future expansionist plans.

Sorry, guess I got off track there a bit. When I saw the post about the meaning of "Casus Belli", being a former Poli Sci major I was more than happy to answer the ost. But when I got to thiniing about it, I realized that the only state I know of today which still uses casus bellis in abundance is Turkey, and thus I felt obliged to inform the reader about the state of affairs in Turkey as well. I hope anyone who might get perturbed by my getting a bit off topic can forgive me.

The meaning of CB for gd2

I know this is getting of subject. BUT CB's still very much exist today. Witness, Cina-Taiwan, India-Packistan over Kashmir, Serbia-Kosovo, Kosovo-Macedonia, Isreal-Palestine.

I work in the mighty 509th Bomb Wing. We fly the B-2 Bomber. During the bombing of Serbia two summers ago, all the pilots carried a picture of something. For some it was a picture of mass garaves, for others, pictures of refugees. For one pilot it was a cousin living in Kosovo. Each had his own personal CB. Militaries always need a CB if they expect support. :cool:

Originally posted by Hartmann

In fact it´s 'casus belli' - literally 'case of war'. Whereas 'causa belli' would mean the circumstances, which effectively cause a war, there is a usage of 'casus' in latin where then 'casus belli' would mean the circumstances where You declare war 'rightfully' or 'legally'.

Hartmann

Well, you're pretty much right, though I want to add one thing.
Casus Belli is more like the belly (the tummy :)), you know the belly needs something, which in this case is a case for a war. Straight off I think that Casus Belli means "the belly of the war". :D
But then again, I can be wrong. :)

Hello,
Um what you have to say about Turkey is very interesting. I wonder how you reconcile what you wrote about them with the revelations that
the greek government aided and in effect formented the PKK rebellion against Turkey, and the subsequent collapse of the Greek government after Ocalans[READ-HEaD OF PKK]capture and his revelations about Greek and Syrian aid to the PKK with the intention of destabilising Turkey. I also have a additional aside to your comments, when Saddam attacked the Kurds in Northern Iraq prior to the Gulf War Turkey was the only nation to open its borders to the Kurdish population that was fleeing the GENOCIDIAL campaign launched against them. I also recall that NONE of the European nations that so enjoy sticking thier noses in everyones internal affairs offered to take any of these refugees. I am well aquainted with this above stated sordid affair as I was one of the Americans working in Turkey during Operation Provide Comfort, in which we[READ-USA and Turkey]in effect protected the kurds. I also discovered in my time there that the Turks are wonderful people, and I found myself enjoying the time I spent there to be more profound and meaningful then any other nation I lived in, to include some European ones. As to the issue of the CB and Turkeys attitude to the Agean shelf and potential oil deposits, I am aware the Turks offered to share this exploration/development with the Greeks in the form of a multinational company that both sides would have a voice in. As to the Greeks OWNING those resources, thats HORSESHIT, the greek claims are generally based on the fact that the treaty Turkey signed with the European powers after Turkey created its Republic, and ejected the Greeks from Turkey after WW I was over in which Greece tried to revive some Pan Hellenic empire by invading Turkey, is BASED on the islands they were givin in that treaty, and in WHICH the Greeks claim all surrounding sea areas relative to sea limits, WHICH the Turks do not recognise, if this is actually enforcable it would in effect give Greece control of alot of the Agean shelf, this is neither realistic, nor a plausable way to define territory nor borders in the Agean. And finally as to the use of torture, while in Turkey I never was afraid to walk the streets at any hour, in any area becuase of the fear the common citizen had of the law, only hunting rifles,shotguns are allowed in private hands, while living in Turkey I only feared the PKK terrorist, and he was err aided and funded by Greece, need I say more? Oh while in country during the gulf war the company I worked for had two employees killed by terrorists, one in Istambul, executed in his own office by terrorists dressed as Turkish police, one killed leaving his Turkish girlfriends house, and the last a active duty servicemember blown up in his car as he entered it in Ankara,I also want to point out that it is the Greeks and thier own terrorists that are responsible for more American deaths then even those killed by PKK in Turkey, curiously enough reading a article recently it appears this terrorist group in Greece appears to be part of thier own Intelligence Agency and further that for bieng a EU member whom should ardently persue terrorists it has been most inept at catching these guys. Curious to say the least isnt it. Perhaps instead of shoring up Greece in 1948 we should have let the communists have the place, which brings to mind what might have happened then...
Need I say I love Turkey?
Faruk

Hello,
One more comment to the gent whom is the "poli Sci" major. I find your using the EU forum as a platform to spread misinformation and propaganda about Turkey, and any other nation you may have a gripe against in POOR taste. Suggest you continue to pass out your leaflets in the student union wherever you are as college students are usually quite misinformed and willing to swallow what you have to say hook, line and sinker. Further you just might what to read up on Greece, its military Juntas/dictatorships, and how they formented the AOKA coup in Cyprus, and how this incident brought about in large part the problems that devide Turkey and Greece today. I assume however that you have a agenda here and doubt that will hold any interest to you.
Faruk

TLA - Three Letter Acronym
ETLE - Four Letter Acronym (Extended Three Letter Acronym)
TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

With thanks to the wonderful system employed by my employer, the International Brotherhood of Magicians.

QWATSAA

It can't be that hard to work out, given the subject matter. :D

WHTPKUTTLA- why the hell people keep using these three letter acronymes

Originally posted by Carolus Rex
STFU

:D

At least mine was more polite....

Originally posted by Hartmann

In fact it´s 'casus belli' - literally 'case of war'. Whereas 'causa belli' would mean the circumstances, which effectively cause a war, there is a usage of 'casus' in latin where then 'casus belli' would mean the circumstances where You declare war 'rightfully' or 'legally'.

Hartmann

Yep, right. And then we have a few other nice philosphical expressions (in latin of course) that maybe have no interest in the game but are quite nice to know anyway, so I'll post them here for your pleasure. Enjoy! ;)

JAB = jus ad bellum = justice of war (as far as I know this is a variant of Casus Belli, i.e. a legitimate cause of war)

JIB = jus in bello = justice in war (what you are allowed to do in a war, like attacking soldiers but not civilians)

If you wanna know more about this I can recommend the book "Just and Unjust Wars" by Michael Walzer, Prof. of Social Science. And of course the classics by Hobbes ("Leviathan"), Machiavelli ("The Prince"), Clausewitz ("On War"), etc. etc. etc.