• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Time for some payback.

When you vassalize electors be careful... when you control an elector in such a way the value that determines whether the others vote for you gets a penalty. I think your only shot will be to vassalize a majority of the electors. On the other hand, getting enough authority with all the states in the HRE following a different religion will be somewhat easier.

I'm planning on force-converting electors in wars first, and seeing where that gets me. Electors are effectively immune to "enforce religious unity", so it should help a lot

Nice! Is there anyone else on Solomon's S**t List?

Not officially. The Mamluks might have been, but i'll be doing unspeakable things to their country soon. I feel kinda bad. kinda.

Part IV: Growing Pains and Retaking the Holy Land

Let's check the tech levels of the our newly Westernized kingdom:

We have a lot of catching up to do. The heir to come is a 1/5/5, so that'll help somewhat. Let's see what those tasty little Orthodox countries are up to in the North...

We'll have to get much closer before they are willing to accept us as their rulers. Time to get closer, then! If only we had a ruler who the people believed in...

Awwww yisss. This guy is great, and his son's strengths in administration will make up for his lack. Military will remain strong the whole way through. Let's test this new army out!

But... I westernized...

Ahhh shoot. Time to blockade, take a minor peace deal, and move on to softer targets while we tech up...

Better troops....

A softer target, too! I was gonna ignore the Aztecs with their gold mines which will hurt my inflation, but Portugal wanted to conquer them... so I had to first. Seriously, screw those guys.

Surrounded by enemies to the faith, we decide that it'd be nice to go on Crusades: Let the idea of religious superiority resonate in all the hearts of our subjects!

We take the Aztecs as a vassal, and expand the western extent of our known world.

We also plant a colony right in between Portugal and Castille in Sough America. Partially because we might need to expand out there, and partially because screw those guys.

In light of the giant pirate stack in our waters, we opt to take a stand against piracy. Well... we tell everyone that, and they seem to like us better for it.

The time to declare was on our long-loathed enemies the Mamluks is nigh! Our military tech now exceeds their own, and their allies are just as bad. ATTACK! RETAKE JUDEA!

The Ottomans sit idle as we take all the glory in battle, slaughtering the enemies of Solomon

While checking army sizes, I find an interesting thing: France aside, the top 6 armies by size belong to non-originally-western countries.

Our peace deal cleaves the Mamluks in two, and releases Najd next door to us, who will be ripe for the picking

More importantly, we can get all of those eastern provinces as colonies from them, likely in one fell swoop. We use the extra missionary from Judea to convery some annexed vassals, and prepare for the next war with the Mamluks...

End Part IV

This is going really well, and makes me want to try Ethiopia out. It's best to see an Orthodox nation in East Africa climb its way to greatness. Never mind the Muslim powers. Especially love the vassalization of the Aztecs and early exploration!

Going good, now with western tech and all the riches of your Pan-African empire the Mamluks should prove to be a walk in the park. I hope you won't end up on a crash course with Castile or Portugal though.

Part V: Mamlukacide and Other Messy Affairs

We need to wait for the truces to expire before stomping all over Najd and the Mamluks again. in the New world, it looks like Portugal might discover the Inca soon. We should conquer them first!

Their gold mines will add to our own, and we will be rich beyond our wildest dreams! What could go wrong?

No! Nononononono.... It's gonna cost so many admin points to fix this! And our current king is a 1/5/5... I guess 20 was the magic number to stay below to avoid total disaster.

That helps a little, but the loans are gonna be annoying to pay back. At least we beat the Inca, though. grumble grumble.

As soon as the truce with Najd expires, we strike! the war is over in no time, without any significant loss of life.

What's this? Iraq was at war with Najd, so now we are too? Excellent, they can give those cores back to my vassal now. Finally, things go right for a...

I KNOW THEY DON'T READ! What am I, Job? Why all the harsh events, God? Aren't I doing your will? Spreading Orthodoxy from across the southern half of the globe?

We see that the truce with the Mamluks is long expired, so it's time to strike again. But not before sinking some precious admin points to reduce inflation, then sacrificing a goat at every altar in Judea for God's favor.

Shortly into the war, we see our efforts have payed off!

The conquest continues, and God's favor is once again upon us!

This is a sign. We must put our faith and admin points not into stability, but into the ability to declare war on all but the most pious to the Orthodox cause!

We bring the Aztecs into our country and begin the easy conversion process. They will soon follow the true faith!

Now we reach the end of the war with the totally defeated Mamluks, and ponder our options. Do we show restraint and concern for the opinions of our neighbors?

NOPE, take everything we can! Europe doesn't care, only these heathens and savages. Let them complain and rattle sabers!

To the north, the "Holy" Roman Empire remains at a standstill, unsure of what minor nation to support. Good...

Our spoils of war are dragging the country down somewhat. It's time to release some minor nations and feed our vassals territories to core. Syria can be trusted with Judea, they are of the True Faith, and we have no admin points to spare...

Our people rejoice that the major threats to our way of life have been eliminated. The region is stable and secure. Might as well do something about those pirates, too...

Now we will focus on technological advances! our administration is seriously lacking: Half of our military rank, in fact!

Find strength through self-improvement and inner peace, oh Ethiopians. There is much war to come soon.

(continued in next post)

Part V: Mamlukacide and Other Messy Affairs Continued

We declare war on our mortal enemy and current punching bag, the Mamluks! During the war, we convert all our provinces to Orthodox!

The resulting peace deal gives us a border with Tripoli, and some more Mediterranean coast for Syria. The 3rd conquest of the Mamluks was a good one.

We declare war on Tripoli, so we have a friendly country to sell chunks of Egypt to. During this, our advisor informs us that we have reached the peak of military research, given the times we are living in. It is a joyous day!

We receive word of strange wars to the north. This is one of them, and Scandinavia appears to be partially occupied by "Goat-Land" What strange folks.

These wars show that the people up forth can field many armies, and they will not be conquered easily. we must invest in new military ideas!

Russia has been very uncooperative with us, ignoring our persuasions and proposals. They even consider us a 'rival'. However, we have a cunning plan...

Ok, we had a cunning stroke of luck. We annex Najd, and begin to annex our faithful vassal Syria. The Mamluks are looking rather tasty again...

Time to step up the invasion of Europe, but in a sneaky way. Cologne looks friendly enough.

May they get attacked repeatedly for our glory! We fight one last war with the Mamluks for a while:

We now posses all of their Mediterranean holdings. No more profit can be come from beating them senseless, we'll just vassalize them at some point. We take survey of the world...

Who'll care if we claim the throne of some European minor? No one, that's who!

Once we've annexed Syria, it's time to make those Ottomans release the Orthodox lands that they hold. Then, we'll be in Europe...

End Part V

(at time of posting, Imgur was having issues, I'll check it out tomorrow to see if it's busted)

Last edited:
Awesome progress. The HEE awaits (note the 'E' in the middle in stead of the the preposterous 'R' ;) )!

Once you take the European land off the Ottomans you shouldn't have the distant borders problem any more. How are you going to get around the wrong religion problem though? Annex a HRE elector and re-release as a vassal with the correct religion?

sacrificing a goat at every altar in Judea for God's favor.

Well, that just goes to show you as a false son of Solomon! There's only ONE true altar, and it's in ruins - which you should be okay with, as an Orthodox Christian country that rejects the need for any sacrifice other than Christ! Heretic! Plus, offering a goat, as either a burnt (probably) offering, or a peace or Sin offering (I hope not, as your war is at stake) is insufficient and you're lacking the other animals required! Shame! And did you offer it yourself? Where's the priests??</rant>

ANYWHO, great job taking the New World and the Old one! I'm looking forward to see how your HRE gambit pays off!

Why isn't Austria the emperor with at least 5 of the electors voting for them?

Elections only occur when the emperor dies. So the current "voting" view is only the outcome if the emperor dies RIGHT THEN. It's adjusted over time, and only matters on death.

That said, I don't see 5 electors voting for Austria in the screenshot. 2 for Cologne, 4 for the current ruler (Palatinate?), 1 for Alsace

Damn, impressive progress from Ethiopia. I myself have never played a non-european power (save for one test game as the Timurid), but this is pretty interesting to see.

Awesome work with Ethiopia, but I see an anti-Ethiopian coalition in the works, particularly if you're going into Europe. I look forward to seeing the 'sneaky approach' in action!

Awesome progress. The HEE awaits (note the 'E' in the middle in stead of the the preposterous 'R' ;) )!

Now now, let's not be too hasty. Rome is on my to-get list :)

Sneaky way into Europe - that's a brilliant plan! Subscribed.

Thanks! I figured that straight conquest wouldn't work well with the electors, so some other method must be used.

Once you take the European land off the Ottomans you shouldn't have the distant borders problem any more. How are you going to get around the wrong religion problem though? Annex a HRE elector and re-release as a vassal with the correct religion?

The current plan is to first force-convert electors, then vassalize them. the AE penalties shouldn't be TOO terrible from doing that.

Well, that just goes to show you as a false son of Solomon! There's only ONE true altar, and it's in ruins - which you should be okay with, as an Orthodox Christian country that rejects the need for any sacrifice other than Christ! Heretic! Plus, offering a goat, as either a burnt (probably) offering, or a peace or Sin offering (I hope not, as your war is at stake) is insufficient and you're lacking the other animals required! Shame! And did you offer it yourself? Where's the priests??</rant>

ANYWHO, great job taking the New World and the Old one! I'm looking forward to see how your HRE gambit pays off!

erm... There's not a lot of printing presses down in Gondor, I'll admit that I just skimmed a few books from the Bible. But I assure you, God is on our side!

Why isn't Austria the emperor with at least 5 of the electors voting for them?

As some others said, no one seems to be voting for them. I guess they did something horrific and everyone hates them now.

Awesome AAR, suscribed. My next country to play will be Ethiopia I think

Thanks! it's a blast to play because absolutely anything you do feels like you're on top of the world. Beat the Ottomans in a war as france... yeah, you'll do that. Beat the Ottomans as Ethiopia? Best day ever.

Awesome work with Ethiopia, but I see an anti-Ethiopian coalition in the works, particularly if you're going into Europe. I look forward to seeing the 'sneaky approach' in action!

The biggest any coalition got was after beating up on the Mamluks a ton, with some indian minors, the Timurids, Ottomans, Iraq, and the Mamluks themselves. These days, it's just the Mamluks and Iraq. I'm trying really hard to space conquest to avoid doom coalitions.

Thanks again everyone for the support! I've got a huge gambit in the works right now, and if it pays off in the next few in-game years, Victory will be more-or-less locked in.