• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yakman said:
no. the manufacturies? the governors?

What is a governor but a kind of state officer? Put there because the state decided to put a governor there? (Oh well, intendents or whatever a provincial position was called for any country in the period). Obviously, state bureocracies are decided by the state.

And manufactories, remember we are talking not about normal small manufactories of the period (that kind goes in production income I guess). We are talking about huge investments, so yep I think we are talking things chartered, funded and regulated by the State.

Falstaff said:
Maybe Paradox should consider announcing games, when they have decided to do them, and let the community have time to gather some ideas, whether they be used or not.

Judging by the explosion of this forum even though the entire thing is based on a single, vague, interview, I'd say this qualifies as the Worst... Idea... Ever. :D

MrT said:
Besides...a games company wouldn't say "We've decided to make a game about XXXXX, please give us ideas about how we should do it so we can cobble together some sort of GDD and then start coding it sometime." It would be...(*tries to find the right word*)...insane...suicidal...

Sure. I just meant the public to function as a source of inspiration. And I know it already is sort of. Just let the inspiration be more current, if you know what I mean.

Duuk said:
Judging by the explosion of this forum even though the entire thing is based on a single, vague, interview, I'd say this qualifies as the Worst... Idea... Ever. :D

So you're saying the community cannot cooperate to make something worthwhile and good?

Most important is to use all those ideas which worked from existing games(something Johan already said in the press release). Every Pdox game had at least one good design choice which should be used in EU3.

Best template is of course CK which is the best conceptual design yet. IE most fun game. Minus the bugs of course :).

This time I will finally have the benefit of NOT being a beta tester which means I will have a complete fresh game when it arrives. A new EU experience for me ;).

bm

Falstaff said:
So you're saying the community cannot cooperate to make something worthwhile and good?

Yes. I'm saying the community can't even make a decision about the starting year without a 12 page flamewar. And that has already been decided. Now imagine if Johan had simply posted a note:

Johan's hypothetical post said:
Hey everyone, when should EU3 start?

I bet it would hit 1000 replies in the first two hours, and within two days at least two people would be banned.

I think the map projects are good and worthwhile, but I do see the truthfulness of the old Montgomery Burns quote:

Mr. Burns said:
Teamwork can Only take You So far, Then The truly evolved individual seizes personal glory.

sainte-therese said:
That is a bit too abstracr for my taste. Its nice to have some control of your country beyond the military. This was the age of absolutism.
Yes it was. But there weren't government owned factories pumping out cloth to be carried by government merchants on government ships to sell at government regulated prices to other governments.

It was an age of general chaos on the ground meeting the occasional chokepoints of absolutism. ;)

Bluesman said:
Most important is to use all those ideas which worked from existing games(something Johan already said in the press release). Every Pdox game had at least one good design choice which should be used in EU3.

Best template is of course CK which is the best conceptual design yet. IE most fun game. Minus the bugs of course :)

Of course? CK is the less fun game for me -I could not care less for all those characters that appear in the game, so I hope EU3 is not like CK (and it should not, since is a different beast altogether)

arcorelli said:
Of course? CK is the less fun game for me -I could not care less for all those characters that appear in the game, so I hope EU3 is not like CK (and it should not, since is a different beast altogether)

Each Paradox game has added more "personallity" to the game. Look in HOI2 for instance with it's advanced handling of generals etc.

Ok. You don't like personallity but I think most people like the added realism (and fun).

I'm not in any way saying that it should be exactly like CK, just that some of the best features should of course make it to EU3. And they basically said it would already so I'm not too worried. How could you possibly make a game about this period without adding any form of dynasty? It's simply not realistic.

bm

Falstaff said:
Sure. I just meant the public to function as a source of inspiration. And I know it already is sort of. Just let the inspiration be more current, if you know what I mean.
The public's been doing that from the day EU2 was announced; and has continued to do an admirable job for the past 5 years. If you read through all of the posts in this forum in the past 3 days, you'd be very hard pressed to find a suggestion that hasn't already been made a thousand times before somewhere in one of the other forums. The devs sift through all of that stuff on a regular basis, and the best ideas tend to percolate until there are enough of them to inspire something cool. A 3-day explosion of posting isn't nearly as effective (or useful) as five years of solid feedback.

MrT said:
A 3-day explosion of posting isn't nearly as effective (or useful) as five years of solid feedback.
But it's cooler. :cool:

Yakman said:
But it's cooler. :cool:
If you define "cooler" as being 90% spam, then I suppose you'd be right. ;)

:p

MrT said:
If you define "cooler" as being 90% spam, then I suppose you'd be right. ;)

:p

Hey! I resembl.... errr... resent that!

MrT said:
The public's been doing that from the day EU2 was announced; and has continued to do an admirable job for the past 5 years. If you read through all of the posts in this forum in the past 3 days, you'd be very hard pressed to find a suggestion that hasn't already been made a thousand times before somewhere in one of the other forums. The devs sift through all of that stuff on a regular basis, and the best ideas tend to percolate until there are enough of them to inspire something cool. A 3-day explosion of posting isn't nearly as effective (or useful) as five years of solid feedback.
No, but it helps re-emphasise points we'd like to see.