• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Klavo Hunter

Colonel
40 Badges
Feb 13, 2005
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Stellaris
  • Lead and Gold
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • BATTLETECH
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Heir to the Throne
I apologize to everyone who has been waiting so long for me to restart "Los Caudillos de las Pampas", my Argentinan AAR, but that'll be a while, because I intend here to give you guys a real treat, by shutting up in General Discussions about what I can do with Nationalist Spain, and just do it in an AAR. :)

Difficulty level is Normal/Aggressive. I'd go for Very Hard, but it's stupid with the IC penalties, especially for a country which starts out with not much at all.

My plans are to see how much of the world can be covered in Yellow and Grey. :)

I won't do much storytelling in the SCW, but later on, yes, there will be lots! :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

July 18th, 1936, the outbreak of the Spanish Civil War. An event that would change the world...

ScreenSave1.jpg

Disposition of deployable forces - Militia all in Salamanca, and all 5 Infantry units in Siguenza.

ScreenSave2.jpg

Production Sliders at start - As much IC as possible to Upgrade, because I want to get my Infantry to '36 level as fast as possible and make my victory faster.

ScreenSave3.jpg

And this is my Political actions - Since the Administrative Genius wasn't around, I switched my Armarments Minister to the -20% Consumer Goods guy, and changed my Intelligence Minister to the +5% IC Bonus man. And I moved towards Hawk, because those bonuses to unit construction are so lovely later on.

ScreenSave4.jpg

Facist Nation event fires - a blob of Militia and Infantry in Seville, and I deploy 3 more units of Militia to Salamanca. I also deploy the couple of ships I get, and I start to wonder where the rest of the Spanish fleet is. Usually, the Human player gets it?

ScreenSave5.jpg

And... the opening offensive of the war! The first Republican troops make it to Guadalajara, and 5 divisions pounce on them. They win, of course. ;)

ScreenSave6.jpg

... and once those 5 divisions of infantry occupy Guadalajara, they get hit by the main Republican army, including the murderous unit of Soviet T-28s. Fortunately, they are only lead by a Lt. General, and the tanks get hit by a massive -75% over command penalty.

ScreenSave7.jpg

The army in Guadalajara is pushed back, but I then launch an attack over the river into the middle of their army with a horde of militia to keep them busy, instead of advancing into Guadalajara. Meanwhile, I'm taking Valencia with several other divisions, and moving the high-quality volunteer units from Germany and Italy into Guadalajara. If I can keep them pinned in Badajoz, I can encircle them, and pound them to stuffing inside of that pocket, and pretty much win the war already. To ease that along, I started invading Huelva with the African troops in Seville...

ScreenSave8.jpg

And the "Mobile" elements of my army (My cav and all my tanks) cut down to Albacete, completing the encirclement. The Badajoz pocket won't last long once I bring everything crashing down on them...

ScreenSave9.jpg

In chess, this is where one would say, "Check." It seems appropriate here.

ScreenSave10.jpg

And... Checkmate. Bullseye. Three in a row. Royal Flush. Touchdown. Game over, man, game over! :rofl:

ScreenSave11.jpg

... and, finally, I get a division of infantry upgraded to '36 standard. Way to go, guys, you sure took your time. :rolleyes:

ScreenSave12.jpg

Annexed. Game over, Republicans. In other news, Espana Victoriosa!

ScreenSave13.jpg

And shortly after the war's end, the Jaime I, Espana, and Baby Jesus were all found floating in a pool skimmer.

ScreenSave14.jpg

Adaptation said:
woa. Roll over republican spain big time

Yeah. 2 months instead of going until late in '39!

I could have taken even less time if I'd just pocketed their army there and taken all the VPs to annex without even fighting, but that'd be just too darn gamey. :rofl:

desflurane said:
I love these "little guy takes over the world" AARs :)

Good luck, can't wait to see how much land you grab.

I assume you plan to ally with the like-minded Germans?

Desflurane

*snort* Yeah, like the Italians are any good for splitting France with, lousy, lazy buggers...

desflurane said:
Write an update already!

Slacker

Desflurane

I'll be at my PC with my beloved savegames tomorrow, or maybe tonight ;) And then I'll be able to continue.

Anyone want to make guesses as to what I'm going to do in the intervening years between now and WW2? ;)

Hmm
You gonna invent some crazy superweapon with wich you sull spread horror and fear in the heart of all mankind?

A better guess might be trying to take on some weaker countrys, like Portugal (perhaps with a nice peace settelment to avoid those annoying colonies)? But that will be too obvious, won't it?

I'll guess your gonna take it to Irland and face the mighty UK!

nah
just build up

Emil_s said:
Hmm
You gonna invent some crazy superweapon with wich you sull spread horror and fear in the heart of all mankind?

A better guess might be trying to take on some weaker countrys, like Portugal (perhaps with a nice peace settelment to avoid those annoying colonies)? But that will be too obvious, won't it?

I'll guess your gonna take it to Irland and face the mighty UK!

nah
just build up

Portugal is just too blatantly obvious to deny that I'm going to screw them up as a stepping stone... but, to where? :)

Oh...now you got me interested!

What would I do if I was a crazy spaniard with an eye on Portugal?

Lissabone -> The Azoras -> Canada -> Allmighty US of A (or you can just skip Canada to avoid Allies?)

Allthough I'm not sure if that is possible so directrly due to range limitations...Never tried it myself, It's a wild guess, as I can see your planing something special

Another Idea can be using the portugese Islands as a possible gate to South America maybe? Again I'm not sure about the distance, when I tried that I had to take the British islands in the region

damn...now I must know ! :rofl:

Last edited:
The US would be a sitting duck if you could get them at this point of the game :) I really doubt your transport capacity could handle it, though.

I think you will take Portugal and their 2 main Atlantic Islands...a and use the Island West of Africa to launch attacks on Brazil (annex EVERYONE that speaks Portugese!) and Venezuela. Pretty sure both those countries have ties to the US though, so it will be interesting how you deal with that :)

Can't wait to see what you do

Desflurane

September 25, 1936

Madrid, Spain
Plaza Mayor

Within days of the final surrender of the Republican government, Madrid was awash in celebration of the Nationalist triumph. The aims of anarchists and communists had been thwarted, and Spain remained whole and intact once more as the corrupt Republican regime was brought crashing down to the cheering of the Spanish people. A lightning campaign lead by the Falangist (read: Spanish Fascist) General Franco Francisco, supported by fellow fascists in Germany and Italy, had overcome the Republican army with astonishing speed, managing to keep the horrific cost of war from being inflicted all across Spain.

So many remembered the terrible bloodshed and devastation of the Great War, and the damage that could be done in extended warfare over a city like Madrid would be catastrophic, as the power of artillery and bombs would break brick from brick, leaving no building untouched from the horrors of war. Thankfully, weak Republican presence in the southern part of Madrid disintigrated rapidly when their comrades took up the Nationalist cause.

A series of mobile maneuvers, inspired by the suggestions of German volunteer officers, coordinated movements from Seville and Madrid to cut the entire area surrounding the city of Badajoz off from the rest of the Republican powerbase. In this, they had discovered that the Nationalist movement was not alone in foreign backing, indeed, the Soviet Union had contributed supplies and equipment, the most prominent being the feared T-26 tank, known to brave Nationalist soldiers as a shout of "Tanque Diablo!", and to the Germans of the Condor Legion as "Teufelpanzer!".

But mobility, coordination, and numbers all worked together in driving the Republicans back across the fertile, ancient wine-growing hills of the Tierra de Barros, leaving spilled blood and oil to feed the neglected grapes through August, as the burnt-out husks of dead tanks replaced fences and sheds as the most prominant landmarks across the land. Fighting for Badajoz itself was nowhere near as savage as a battle for a city was dreaded to be - The Republicans' spirit had died in the hills.

But that was all past now - It was a time for celebration, as Spain had come through the fire and was itself reborn, given purpose and vision instead of incompetence and dissent! Franco looked to the man on his immediate left, Miguel Ferrer, who'd lead the 5th Infantry division into the revolt against the Republicans, who by all rights could have been in Franco's place, if the older man had not encouraged Franco onwards instead of himself, acting vicariously through Franco. Miguel had no ambition to truly lead, but he'd fought nonetheless.

On his right was the conquering genius of Seville, Gonzelo Queipo de Llano, who'd pulled a most elaborate ruse to make the Republican defenders surrender to him, while only commanding 200 men, allowing the Africa-based divisions to pour into Southern Spain in support of the Nationalist cause. Further to his right was the last surviving man of those principal in beginning the Nationalist revolt, General Juan Yagüe Blanco. Though his posture didn't show it in the least, a good few chunks of Republican shrapnel were embedded in his left leg, after an artillery shell hit close to him and the command staff of his army group.

Various others were gathered behind them on the high-canopied podium set up in front of the Palacio de Santa Cruz in the Plaza Mayor. A murmuring, agitated crowd filled the entire huge square, devoid today of the typical bustling market carts and stalls. In the center of the plaza, around the statue of King Phillip III, an obvious blob of red-beret wearing Carlists (Read: Spanish pro-monarchists, Falangist allies) were gathered, making a good deal of noise. But the mood of this agitated crowd was positive, and they were waiting.

Franco looked over slightly, and gave a nod to the man at the radio, setting events in motion. The crowd went silent instantly as a lone man at a snare drum began a loud, perfectly executed drumroll, and every stance straightened as the red and yellow flag with the eagle shield was raised, the drumroll continuing for long moments more until that flag reached the top of the pole. Then began the national anthem, "Cara el Sol" (Face to the Sun)

Cara al sol con la camisa nueva
que tú bordaste en rojo ayer,
me hallará la muerte si me lleva
y no te vuelvo a ver.

Formaré junto a mis compañeros
que hacen guardia sobre los luceros,
impasible el ademán,
y están presentes en nuestro afán.

Si te dicen que caí,
me fui al puesto que tengo allí.

Volverán banderas victoriosas
al paso alegre de la paz
y traerán prendidas cinco rosas:
las flechas de mi haz.

Volverá a reír la primavera,
que por cielo, tierra y mar se espera.

¡Arriba, escuadras, a vencer,
que en España empieza a amanecer!

¡España una!
¡España grande!
¡España libre!
¡Arriba España!

Before the song was halfway through, the grinding of treads and the rumble of heavy motors rose behind the crowd, along with the carefully matched rhythm of marching boots. Down the Calle Mayor, rank and column of Nationalist Soldiers marched, rows of the CV-33 tankettes spaced in between them As the anthem ended, wild cheering broke out, and Franco let it only last a few moments before he spoke, silencing the deafening roar.

289.jpg

"My people, let today be a day of great rejoicing. The power of anarchy, communism, and weak-minded men is broken, now and forever! No longer shall Spain be wracked by indecision and mediocrity, for we shall now all step forward as one, along a path of greatness! These fine men at my side, and these fine men who march behind you, are all proof that this nation is truely great! Every one of you can take pride once more in saying, "Estoy Espanol!" It is no longer a humiliation to be Spanish, for it no longer means that you are of a weak, divided people. Take pride, now, for today Spain begins anew! We are a great nation in the past, and we will prove that we are still! Four hundred years ago, we discovered the New World, and our might was unchallanged! Let us bring those days back let glory return to Spain! In time, we shall all be able to say, in all things, that we are triumphant... Espana Victoriosa!"

That set the crowd off into an even wilder frenzy of applause and shouting and cheering, almost starting a riot of joy throughout the city as the initial speech drove the crowd to a fever pitch. Further speeches followed from the others, including where old Ferrer declared Franco to be "el Caudillo de Espana", the greatest among Spaniards, among other titles, but that was the one that stuck the most among the people.

Before October had begun, work on rebuilding the shattered country had already started, and then even more, as new factories were built along side the old, and roads blown to rubble in the fighting were rebuilt and paved, broken railroads being repaired and improved. But the first real step in a new Spanish dominance was soon to be taken...

desflurane said:
Wow!

Very well written! I got a nice chill near the end there :)

Is the storyline pretty much historical up to this point? I admit I know almost nothing about Spain's modern history.

Desflurane

It's not too far different, AFAIK. I mean, the SCW was ended in later '39, and Madrid was shelled with a metric arseload of artillery... the whole country was a lot less neat afterwards.

I'll also admit I knew little about the history of Spain in this context, but Wikipedia and a few names out of HoI2 fixed that all rather handily. I'm hopefully not too far off course... I know that, historically, I'm probably highlighting all the wrong people, but I don't particularly care - This is my AAR! :D

Anyways, as said above, minus all the extended warfare (with obvious damage to industry and country), and the fact that the Civil War was only ended in '39, meant that, historically, Spain could not have contributed to the Axis in WW2 very much. But with only 2 months of civil war, and plenty of time to rebuild before the outbreak of war? Come on. That's three and a half years. What do you think our favorite boy Franco can do with THAT much time? ;)

jose1357 said:
Hmm, soy puertorriqueno pero...I wouldn't mind saying "soy espanol"...Viva Espana! Viva Franco! y viva tacos!

Tacos? Bah! Tacos es mexicano, y mexicanos estan bastardos! Mexico ayuda Los Republicanos.... :mad: