• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

alexvk3bqn

Sergeant
Aug 27, 2020
Hello.

I have found precisely one reference from several years ago to a problem I have been having.

It is on the "steam" forum, as far as I can see nobody responded, and I cannot find any way to reply.

When trying to run darkest hour, it gives an error message.

It gives the message - "Error reading localization file "launcher.csv" ".

I got precisely the same message.

I am using an old computer with a small SSD drive and SDHC card as drive d.
(The SDHC card has nearly the same capacity as the "C" drive.)

It is using Windows 11.

The game is "Darkest Hour- a Hearts of Iron 2 game", bought on-line from Gog.

The first time I loaded the game on this computer using the GOG launcher, it ran without any problems at all.

When I needed more space on drive C, I tried to reload it on drive D, the SDHC card.

I immediately got the error message.

Eventually, I did a complete wipe of the new installation.
I uninstalled it and manually wiped any remaining files.
I then tried to clear any traces using IObit-Advanced System Care to clean the registry, junk files and shortcuts.

I then used the GOG installer as "administrator" to re-install on the C drive.
(I have no idea if being "administrator" mattered.)

It's worked fine since.

I'm not sure which part of all that was necessary, but I think some programs have problems unless they're installed in the "default" directory, even when they give you the option to use other ones.

(I've met that before with several other games.)

It's possible that in this case there is also a "virus protection" problem.

I had tried installing both the original Hearts of Iron and Hearts of Iron 2 on the C drive and both worked fine.
I reinstalled them on the D drive, and got the same fault message.

I tried again, and during installation the virus protection system warned me they were trying to access that file, and asked if I wanted to allow them access.
I did, and that problem disappeared.

Both then had problems with running the introductory video, but they went away after I told them to ignore the problem.
Both will now run the introductory video.

The virus blocker never at any stage asked me about any problem with darkest hour.

Some other programs also hate being installed in anything other than their "pre-defined" default directory.

I also just found out that one of the pother programs I use that I had completely removed and tried to re-install on the d-drive using the options available had ALSO re-installed itself completely on the C drive in it's "preferred" directory.
That's just way to strange for me to understand.

I am providing this information for anybody who may find it to be of use.

A.J.Edmonds.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Upvote 0