• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sorry for not responding to comments. I was busy. This is also why this week's update is delayed until tomorrow.

Dying is not a contingency that most vain people believe possible. Thanks

That's true, although the lack of plans will still be bemoaned for centuries to come...

A bummer he died prematurely.

It is. I was so pumped up for the confrontation too...

• 1Like
Reactions:
The Reign of Alexarchos I: The Megaklid Situation
Of course, things weren’t that simple. The entire realm was on a war footing - legions were being trained, and the nobility was expecting a great conflict. Announcing that the war wasn’t going to happen had consequences… and it didn’t sate the Epirote nobility’s desire for a glorious war.

The most influential of the families that wanted war was the Megaklids, who had more than one member that stood to gain from a foreign war. Their two most influential members were Hermesianax, who was a general that commanded a legion, and Polygnotos “the Hellene”, the Governor of Macedonia. Both stood to gain from the potential Thracian conflict, and both despised that it had been called off.

The new Basileus was well aware of that, so he attempted to reconcile with the Megaklids. He hoped that befriending Hermesianax, who was the head of the dynasty, would remove their hatred for the new regime… and help prevent a potential change of power. Basileus Alexarchos is alleged to have said that, “this isn’t the Karsid Revolt, and Hermesianax Megaklid is not Olympiodorus Karsid… yet”. The quote is probably apocryphal, but it illustrates a very real fear.

The Basileus was harmed in his quest to ensure the realm’s peace by his own nature. He had the opportunity to at least gain Hermesianax’s gratitude by silencing a rather vocal critic of his. Alexarchos considered it, but, in the end, he decided that to do so would be unjust. Some historians theorize that he also agreed with the critic on some points, and they might have a point since one of the main criticisms was “warmonger”.

Alexarchos’s next chance to befriend Hermesianax came in May. A gladiator quickly became well known, and Hermesianax expressed interest in him while the two men watched the gladiator games. Alexarchos bought the man and gave him to Hermesianax, hoping that such a deed would aid him in his quest.

It turned out to be too little, too late, though. By June, Hermesianax had stopped contacting the Basileus in private and only spoke with him when his position at court required him to do so. Alexarchos’s attempt to befriend the head of the Megaklid dynasty had failed.

Even so, the Basileus figured that a relationship of some kind with the dynasty was necessary for Epirus’s overall stability, and he began searching for other ways to get in their good graces. He soon found that there were unmarried women in the Megaklid family, which gave him the idea to attempt to tie the family to his reign by marriage. He quickly settled on a potential bride, one Aphrodisia Megaklid.

(Image of Aphrodisia)

When the request reached Hermesianax, though, the man refused to give his blessing. Publicly, he insisted that his family would never be associated with a coward like Alexarchos, but, privately, his message was substantially different. In a meeting with the Basileus in Passaron, Hermesianax implied that he would accept the marriage if it would bring him monetary gain.

For all of his justice, that was an offer that Alexarchos couldn’t refuse. He agreed. In exchange, he demanded as his dowry an oath of loyalty from the Megaklids and a promise not to attempt a coup, which Hermesianax saw as a respectable deal. Alexarchos Gelid and Aphrodisia Megaklid thus married each other in August 7 AS (643 AUC).

• 1Love
Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
The Reign of Alexarchos I: The Builder
After his marriage, Alexarchos decided to study other kingdoms and cultures, intent on learning how other people lived. He initially planned to go himself, but his wife, Aphrodisia, talked him out of that idea. She insisted that he stay in his kingdom and govern, managing disputes between the noble families. He reluctantly agreed and sent out scouts to study the other realms of the world. He sent out scouts to give him inspiration for what to do during his reign.

The scouts came back with tales of glorious cities and ornate capitals. They told of how the other realms of the civilized world made their glory known by their infrastructure. They told of the great city of Rome and the glories of Antioch and Alexandria. They refused to talk of how the tribes did things, but Alexarchos didn’t mind. They had done their job. He had a task to complete now - he would make Passaron a worthy capital for one of the prominent empires of the world. He would make her a queen among cities… and he knew exactly where to start.

His scouts had told him about Alexandria and its famous library, and Alexarchos saw the potential usefulness of a library. His countrymen in Egypt used the Library of Alexandria to attract scholars and wisdom, and Alexarchos I Gelid saw that he could do the same. Publicly, he allowed himself to be swayed by his advisors’ insistence on keeping the library a secret, but, soon, rumors about a new potential center of learning flew across the known world. Alexarchos denied starting them, of course, but many had their doubts…

Scholars flooded to the new Library of Passaron like moths to a flame. The new library could not hope to match its inspiration’s fame, especially not within a single lifetime, but it did well enough. The scholars who arrived brought their books with them, and many gave some to the new institution. Alexarchos himself helped with that, lending some of the royal archive’s books and records to his new passion project. The library had been fully constructed and set up by 10 AS (646 AUC), but Alexarchos was far from done.

He saw a library to rival Alexandria’s as a start to making a complete capital, but he refused to call it enough. Alexandria was known for more than just its library, and Alexarchos intended to make sure that Passaron was a more well known city than Alexandria. He wished Passaron to be as praised as Rome.

As such, he began to construct new buildings in the city. He began by centralizing Epirus’s tax infrastructure into a single organization, and he began to build a place for this new organization to operate out of in Passaron. This project was meant to ensure that the government of Epirus was truly centered on its capital… it was meant to ensure that Epirus truly had a center.

It was at that moment that the Helleno-Kemetist Church took notice of Alexarchos I’s new project. They approved, but they asked the king to make sure to properly honor the gods in his new capital… lest there be unfortunate consequences. Alexarchos heard the threat in their words clear as day, but he was not religious and had no wish to anger the gods. He began making plans to make a great temple to all of the gods in Passaron. He constructed this temple alongside the tax office, and both projects were done by July 11 AS (647 AUC).

His efforts were quickly rewarded. It seemed as though the new temple had increased the piety of the average Epirote citizen. Over in Illyria, the people of Kodrion requested funds to pay for a new Temple to Tyche. Alexarchos I Gelid agreed, knowing that angering the goddess of fortune was a most unwise idea.

Tyche quickly rewarded Alexarchos’s show of submission. She arranged for the people of Gaul to send a small gift of gold to the king. Alexarchos received this money gratefully, but he refused to read into the act. Many historians have theorized that the Gauls wished to receive the wonders of civilization themselves and were merely offering the king gold for construction projects in their realm, but there is no concrete evidence of this.

That was not the only evidence of divine satisfaction with Alexarchos I’s reign, however. The Oracle of Delphi herself sent a messenger to proclaim that she had foreseen a great period of prosperity for Epirus, especially when it was ruled by Alexarchos. The king promptly threw a celebration in honor of the gods. The people of Epirus thus became far more content with living under the rule of such a blessed king.

Despite all of his religious acts, Alexarchos was not Saint Sotas reborn. He didn’t care about the structure of the Church or about its scripture. Most notably, Alexarchos refused to allow the Church much influence. He saw the dangers of a theocracy, and he attempted to limit the Church’s political power. When he built his Great Temple, he ensured that such a large gathering place remained under the control and auspices of the secular King of Epirus. At the time, nobody thought too much about this minor detail, but it would prove to be a centerpoint of the medieval dispute between the Kings of Epirus and the Helleno-Kemetist Church.

Even so, he wasn’t done with his building projects after he finished creating Passaron’s wonders. He knew that such a great capital could very well become the envy of the world, and he thus knew that it must be protected. He ordered the construction of a fort in Omphalion, the area right outside of Passaron for defense. The fort was completed in July 13 AS (649 AUC).

Alexarchos was still left unsatisfied. He was not an ambitious man, but all men want to be remembered, and he felt that his works were still too ephemeral - too fragile - to ensure his memory. Therefore, in 13 AS (649 AUC), he began to work on his magnum opus. He ordered the destruction of a minor mine in Dodona to make way for something far more grand - a pathway to the gods. He began to renovate the famous Oracle of Dodona, hoping to ensure that the lords of Epirus also had a way to see events to come. The project was expensive, but it was finally completed in April 14 AS (650 AUC). It was to be the last project on Alexarchos I Gelid, who history remembered as “the Builder”.

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I was thinking of him as the Architect until the last word. Do you hold modern Albania? Thanks

I do, yeah. I think we annexed as far as Dacia - or modern Romania. We rule a lot of the Balkans.

I decided to call him the Builder, but the Architect actually works really well too. Maybe he's known as both?

Also, thanks for the like @IsaacCAT!

• 1Like
Reactions:
That is quite the swerve, all teed up for Pairisades to wage war and become the Conqueror (or the thrice-cursed-to-the-tenth-generation if he got too ambitious and badly defeated ;) ). But instead we get "The Builder", probably better for Eprius, certainly better for the poor peasants who get to live rather than dying in battle, but a bit less exciting for us readers.

I'll admit to a degree of professional prejudice on this, but "The Architect" is a title best used for incompetent leaders who had expensive and impractical ideas that failed badly or had to be fixed by someone more competent. As Alexarchos appears to have mostly been successful it would be unfair to tag him such, so The Builder seems a better choice.

• 1Like
Reactions:
That is quite the swerve, all teed up for Pairisades to wage war and become the Conqueror (or the thrice-cursed-to-the-tenth-generation if he got too ambitious and badly defeated ;) ). But instead we get "The Builder", probably better for Eprius, certainly better for the poor peasants who get to live rather than dying in battle, but a bit less exciting for us readers.

I'll admit to a degree of professional prejudice on this, but "The Architect" is a title best used for incompetent leaders who had expensive and impractical ideas that failed badly or had to be fixed by someone more competent. As Alexarchos appears to have mostly been successful it would be unfair to tag him such, so The Builder seems a better choice.

Yep. The peasants must be happy... the nobility, on the other hand... might be annoyed at not getting their chance for glory.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The Reign of Alexarchos I: Aphrodisia's Crown
Alexarchos I was focused on his building projects, but Epirus and its denizens refused to stop with their politics just because the king was uninterested in them. Someone needed to actually govern the kingdom and ensure that it didn’t collapse. Alexarchos refused, but, thankfully, his wife proved up to the job. Queen Aphrodisia seized effective control over the Epirote government, and she very much liked her crown.

It was not long until news reached her court about alleged mismanagement in the provinces. The culprit was a relative of the new queen, Polygnotos the Hellene of Macedonia. He was not making many friends in the province, having raised taxes, which angered the wealthy landowners.

When deposing the culprit was suggested as a solution, Aphrodisia’s reaction was one of outrage. She insisted that such an act would be going too far and cause fear among the other governors of the kingdom. Instead, she decided to send a representative to Macedonia to ensure that her brother was being fair to his subjects and not unintentionally stirring up anti-Epirote sentiment. This representative presumably did his job since complaints from the Province of Macedonia quickly died down.

A few months later, Aphrodisia decided to encourage closer relations with Epirus’s vassals and tributaries. To do this, she encouraged the citizens of Epirus to move into Armistia, which would hopefully encourage the Armistians to become more of a settled people. These settlers founded their own small cities, and many Armistians moved into them and adopted Epirote practices.

After this, the court of Epirus was mostly quiet until November 11 AS (647 AUC), which was when Hermesianax Megaklid died. This death left Polygnotos the Hellene as the new head of the Megaklid family, which Aphrodisia saw as a worrying possibility. She feared that her relative might hold a grudge against her for telling him how to rule his province. In order to keep her position, she began to court her other relatives, offering them positions at court or in the army in exchange for their support in any possible conflict with Polygnotos. She also reminded her husband about Dodona, which got him out of court and ended any chance of a civil war.

Unfortunately, a scandal disrupted the court’s tranquility. Rumors flew about Thrasykles Gelid, who allegedly engaged in great debauchery as part of his worship of Dionysus. This angered many residents of Passaron, who feared that they would get caught up in his depraved acts, and the Helleno-Kemetist Church, which believed that worshiping Dionysus was heresy. Neither of these groups would allow Thrasykles to go unpunished, but persecuting him could anger his closer relatives, and Aphrodisia knew that. Alexarchos suggested investigating his relative extremely closely, which Aphrodisia agreed to do… before sending him off to check on the progress of the Oracle of Dodona’s renewal and ordering the investigators to be lenient.

Aphrodisia, unlike her husband, was enough of a pragmatist to realize that persecuting a high-ranking member of the Gelid family would be unwise. Still, she needed at least a token inquiry to avoid a possible coup by the common people and the Church. The investigation quickly revealed that the accusations were true beyond any reasonable doubt, but Aphrodisia refused to release this information and doctored documents that proved the more outrageous rumors to be blatant lies. She did fine him for his more mild deeds, though, which was enough to placate the Church and most of the ordinary citizens.

With support from the Gelid family guaranteed and support from some of her relatives likely, there was only one major family that could threaten Aphrodisia’s power… the Karsids. Kassandros Karsid was being heavily praised by the people of Passaron, and the queen decided that his support was essential to ensuring that her relative didn’t do anything. She quickly invited her to a banquet and befriended him. Accounts differ as to how she did this, but some are likely slander.

Regardless, Aphrodisia was now unopposed enough within the Epirote court to pass new laws. She began by ordering coins minted with both her face and her husband’s face in October 12 AS (648 AUC). This law also allowed successful military governors to mint coins with their own faces that would be valid currency in their provinces.

She followed that up by sacrificing to Isis, requesting a few years of peace and prosperity. The goddess must have heard her because there were no new plots, mismanagement, or foreign entanglements until after her death. There weren't even rumors of internal rebellion. Naturally, the queen took advantage of this to pass a new law. This law declared that, in the absence of any male heirs, a woman would be allowed to take the throne of Epirus. Shockingly, she was popular enough that this unprecedented law passed without a single complaint.

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I am very surprised at the lack of objection to this bold move from the Queen. If it has been "no one was left alive to make a complaint", that I could believe. ;)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Governors becoming heads of families is always a problem due to their increased powerbase making them disloyal. Queen Aphrodisia has moved cunningly to improve relations with all the powerful families before enacting the law changing successions.

I agree with El Pip that law changing should not be a matter of paying stability and political influence but an event chain affecting your world every time.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I am very surprised at the lack of objection to this bold move from the Queen. If it has been "no one was left alive to make a complaint", that I could believe. ;)

Or they just didn't want to make a big deal out of something they didn't think was relevant. At the moment, Epirus has a male heir, so this doesn't change the succession. Also, some families might think that a female ruler would be good for them - they could marry such a queen and seize power...

Governors becoming heads of families is always a problem due to their increased powerbase making them disloyal. Queen Aphrodisia has moved cunningly to improve relations with all the powerful families before enacting the law changing successions.

I agree with El Pip that law changing should not be a matter of paying stability and political influence but an event chain affecting your world every time.

Yep. In the game, the law was a quick change. I decided to tie the things together because it made sense from an in-universe perspective (and I was roleplaying as Aphrodisia).

Showing more of a reaction might be nice, though. However, I'm playing vanilla here... so the law didn't trigger any reactions from anyone.

Reactions:
The Reign of Alexarchos I: The Pirate Kingdom
Queen Aphrodisia’s most surprising decision was how she dealt with piracy. For a long while, pirates had plagued the shores of Epirus, but the increasing centralization of the Epirote kingdom had done much to curb the issue. While Epirus rarely fought on the seas, they did keep a few fleets, and these were tasked with curbing piracy, even during peacetime. They performed admirably for many years, contributing to Sotas’s Golden Age.

By the reign of Queen Aphrodisia, however, the time when piracy was actually an issue in Epirus was becoming nothing more than a distant memory. Almost no one alive knew of the threat that raiders from the sea could pose, and the noble families saw no use in these ancient fleets. Queen Aphrodisia agreed with them, and she began to pull funding for two reasons - to keep the army well funded (lest she anger her main allies) and to finance her husband’s great and wondrous works.

At first, this new policy didn’t have many negative effects. Soon, however, pirates began raiding Epirus’s ports. Many of these ports were well defended and easily prevented them from landing, but a few were more vulnerable. The pirates soon focused their efforts on these cities, demanding tribute in exchange for being left alone. The undefended port cities had no choice but to agree.

The news of these raids quickly reached Queen Aphrodisia, who perceived how damaging they could be to her rule. She deliberately kept the issue under wraps and decided to begin secret negotiations with the pirates, hoping to convince them to leave Epirus alone. She also prepared missives to Egypt, Thrace, and Rome, the other major powers in the Mediterranean in case negotiations failed. These proposed an international coalition against piracy.

The pirates were quite amenable to negotiation. Their initial demands were an absurd tribute and even some of Epirus’s ships. Those terms were obviously unacceptable, so the queen instead proposed offering the pirates land in exchange for service. The pirates, many of whom were from Epirus, were quite pleased by this proposal.

However, their leaders had a less positive view of the idea. They felt that service was an extremely broad term and wished a clearer definition of it. Queen Aphrodisia clarified that the pirates would serve alongside the Epirote navy during wartime as their service. A few of the leaders saw this as an acceptable compromise for a home, and they accepted Aphrodisia’s deal. Many of the other pirate captains refused to kneel to a single nation and ended their negotiations. The pirates who did stay talked with Aphrodisia about the specific terms of their new employment.

The ultimate compromise gave the pirates the islands of Euboea and Sicily (or at least the portion of Sicily that Epirus owned) as long as they swore allegiance to the Epirote Monarchy and acted as part of the Epirote navy. In addition, Queen Aphrodisia clarified that the pirates could act however they liked on their land without monarchical intervention, but the monarchy was also not obligated to pay them anything. The land was their payment.

The first thing that the new and reformed “additional fleets” did was hunt down many of their former comrades in piracy to stop the raids on Epirote ports. The remaining pirates quickly realized that raiding Epirus was a bad idea and stopped, guaranteeing that the entirety of Epirus got to experience the benefits of peace.

The “additional fleets” never truly forgot their pirate heritage, though, and their greed encouraged them to raid Epirus’s enemies and steal some of the gold that those enemies had. It would also prove a problem during the later years of Classical Epirus… when it was one of the factors that encouraged strife between branches of the Epirote government…

• 2Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I did think that "give the pirates some land and hope for the best" plan seemed like it was just storing up trouble even if it worked in the short term, so the promise of future problems was not a big surprise. I do look forward to finding out what they are.

Reactions:
Thanks for the like @IsaacCAT!

I did think that "give the pirates some land and hope for the best" plan seemed like it was just storing up trouble even if it worked in the short term, so the promise of future problems was not a big surprise. I do look forward to finding out what they are.

I was surprised by the event, but... they're pirates. It also helps to add challenge for CK3 later even if it ends up okay during Antiquity.

Reactions:
The Reign of Archimedes I: The Great Getian War
Thanks for the other likes @Idhrendur and @Midnite Duke

Archimedes I immediately made the differences between himself and his father known when he ascended the throne. He blocked his mother’s attempts to keep control over the Epirote court, and he began making friends with the most prominent members of the great families. He wrote great speeches about his ambitions for his time on the throne. He spent much of his first year in office ensuring that the military had not atrophied from his father’s neglect.

Most of the notable families in Epirus welcomed this change in policy. They still adhered to the early Epirote martial ethos, and many saw Alexarchos’s pacifism as shameful. Even those who generally liked Alexarchos’s building projects approved of Aphrodisia’s loss of power, having disliked how untraditional a woman ruling was. All in all, Archimedes’s early reign saw him make few enemies and a lot of friends.

This impression was helped by the fact that his early reign featured a war of expansion, something that most of the nobles had been waiting for for years by this point. The Great Getian War began in April 19 AS (655 AUC), and it was the first war in Epirote history to completely exclude both mercenaries and independent levies. Instead, the stratoi did all of the fighting.

The war started off well with an easy victory over a few barely trained Getian tribesmen in August at Tamasidava, but hints of a problem began to emerge around November 1 after the Battle of Inatius. That battle had been between the professional stratoi of Epirus and a large army of mercenaries that Getia had hired, and it had lasted a mere day. The result was an Epirote victory, but casualties on either side were light, which angered Archimedes.

The Basileus was worried that Getia had hired more mercenaries and would eventually overwhelm his stratoi with sheer numbers. He had told his legates to pursue a policy of divide and conquer to prevent this, but that strategy relied on massive amounts of enemy casualties and very few casualties among his stratoi. Archimedes’s attempted solution to this issue was… confusing. He attempted to place himself in charge of a stratos, reasoning that he could lead better from the front. None of his legates liked this idea, and he was overruled by his council. He begrudgingly backed down, but the incident was to be a portent of things to come - and some historians argue that this moment was the one where Classical Epirus truly began to fall.

The next two battles of the war were mercifully free from political constraints. In January 20 AS (656 AUC), the stratoi won a quick victory at Oridava, while a much more difficult battle occurred in February. That was the Battle of Cruciatum, which pitted the trained Epirote legions against another mercenary force and lasted for weeks. It ended in an Epirote victory, but the mercenaries retreated into Thrace, where the stratoi could not follow them without causing a diplomatic incident.

After Cruciatum, none of the Epirote scouts spotted any armies - whether of mercenaries or of tribesmen raised to defend their homeland. Archimedes I eventually concluded that there were no armies left in Getia, and the Epirotes were free to besiege their remaining settlements at leisure. That was exactly what they did…

It was also why the stratoi and Archimedes I himself were so surprised when they discovered a massive army in late August. The news would take some time to reach Archimedes, but, once it did, the king immediately initiated peace negotiations with Getia. By October 20 AS (656 AUC), an agreement had been reached, and Epirus annexed most of the southern half of Getia.

The reason why there had been such a quick peace agreement was a mystery, and it quickly became the source of court rumors. Some believed that Archimedes was worried about his professional armies suffering a defeat, which would result in a loss of leverage. Others whispered a worse rumor - they theorized that Archimedes I expected his own armies to win the upcoming battle - and gain their commanders glory. This theory went that he was jealous of their success and wanted to prevent them from earning any more fame. Both theories have merit - Archimedes I later became famous for making bad decisions because of his jealousy, but the greatest war of his reign was prosecuted with a minimum of interference on his part, which indicates that he could have been worried about a defeat.

2eJ8NCO.png

(map of the world after the Great Getian War with Epirus in dark yellow)

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Not quite the great war we were promised under Pairisades, but territorially very successful. The many ominous phrases scattered throughout the chapter do indicate this might be the highpoint, though it has never been clear if the fall of Classical Epirus is a good or bad thing. One would think bad, falling generally is, but it depends on what will replace it.

In any event a jealous leader struggling with seemingly equally jealous commanders and nobles promises much intrigue to come.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Not quite the great war we were promised under Pairisades, but territorially very successful. The many ominous phrases scattered throughout the chapter do indicate this might be the highpoint, though it has never been clear if the fall of Classical Epirus is a good or bad thing. One would think bad, falling generally is, but it depends on what will replace it.

In any event a jealous leader struggling with seemingly equally jealous commanders and nobles promises much intrigue to come.

Yep. This reign is certainly interesting. We'll see if the high point is now or in the future. Archimedes certainly has higher ambitions - and ways he thinks that he can achieve them.

I did not realize how big Epirus was until I researched Getia. Thanks

Yes, Epirus is trying to take over as much as the Balkans as possible since they can't expand in any other direction. Getia still exists, though - but massively reduced in size.

Reactions: