Enourmous maps are unplayable (ps4)

  • Victoria 3 - Sign up now!

    The journey begins, sign up now and get a special in-game item when the game is released.


  • Crusader Kings III Available Now!

    The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.


    Real Strategy Requires Cunning
  • Crusader Kings II Expansion Subscription

    Subscribe to the CK II Expansion and enjoy unlimited access to 13 major expansions and more!


iurimv

Recruit
Apr 20, 2021
1
1
I just clocked 32 minutes so that 2 computer factions and the NPCS could finish ONE SINGLE TURN EACH ar the last campaign’s scenario. I just gave up. In the first 5-8 turns, they’d take about 5. Which is a bit annoying, but i coped. After about 25 turns in, 15 minutes. So, after losing a shit ton of time, and wondering that maybe IT was something to do with the campaign, i tried a single custom scenario. Same problem. Enormous maps are just unplayable at this point. A shame.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions:

Cthulhu Spawn

Corporal
Jan 30, 2021
27
1
I just clocked 32 minutes so that 2 computer factions and the NPCS could finish ONE SINGLE TURN EACH ar the last campaign’s scenario. I just gave up. In the first 5-8 turns, they’d take about 5. Which is a bit annoying, but i coped. After about 25 turns in, 15 minutes. So, after losing a shit ton of time, and wondering that maybe IT was something to do with the campaign, i tried a single custom scenario. Same problem. Enormous maps are just unplayable at this point. A shame.
I agree. The PS4 has long turns in a lot of their games. I prefer to play small maps. Even medium is a bit much. I miss the tiny maps from the older age of wonders games.
 

Wizard Level 1

Private
3 Badges
May 18, 2019
13
0
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
  • Shadowrun Returns
Seems to be an issue with strategy games in general on PS4. Stellaris for example slows to a crawl on larger maps especially later on in the game when empires are very large and everyone has been discovered. Playing that game online is almost undoable because of how slow it is.

I imagine playing with less AI players on a map could help to speed things up?
 

MonsterMash69

Recruit
Dec 5, 2020
9
2
It’s so frustrating. I can complete my turn in one minute, and then I’m waiting 20 minutes for the AI controlled player (yes, just one player) to take their turn. This means that when I’m “playing” this game I’m actually spending 5% of the time playing and the other 95% of the time I’m staring at the “Your opponents are moving” screen.
This has to be fixed.
 

Cthulhu Spawn

Corporal
Jan 30, 2021
27
1
What sizeturn are you on when this is happening? I've had that happen but never for 20 minutes, maybe a minute for me and it's always around turn 100 when there's a lot of colonies and armies on the map, but I normally only play small or medium sized maps
It’s so frustrating. I can complete my turn in one minute, and then I’m waiting 20 minutes for the AI controlled player (yes, just one player) to take their turn. This means that when I’m “playing” this game I’m actually spending 5% of the time playing and the other 95% of the time I’m staring at the “Your opponents are moving” screen.
This has to be fixed.

What size map are you playing and what turn are you on when this is happening? I've had that happen but never a 20 minute wait, maybe a minute for me and it's always around turn 100 when there's a lot of colonies and armies on the map, but I normally only play small or medium sized maps. I'm playing it on a regular PS4, not the pro version.
 

MonsterMash69

Recruit
Dec 5, 2020
9
2
What sizeturn are you on when this is happening? I've had that happen but never for 20 minutes, maybe a minute for me and it's always around turn 100 when there's a lot of colonies and armies on the map, but I normally only play small or medium sized maps


What size map are you playing and what turn are you on when this is happening? I've had that happen but never a 20 minute wait, maybe a minute for me and it's always around turn 100 when there's a lot of colonies and armies on the map, but I normally only play small or medium sized maps. I'm playing it on a regular PS4, not the pro version.
I’m playing on the biggest map and it starts to get this bad around turn 60. I’m not a fan of small maps, I like huge maps and games that take weeks to finish.
 

SaintTodd

Recruit
11 Badges
Apr 5, 2020
1
0
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
playing on series x provides much faster ai turns than xb1x and Xbox is quite a bit better than ps4p. I'd assume there's a similar improvement on ps5