• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Draco Rexus said:
I just wonder what the General Staff is going to do know when the start reading the reports about how horrible the field excercises really were. We already know that they know they need new equipment, but just how badly will they push for that equipment from the gov't, eh? One wonders. :D
Hehe I think they got pretty shocked, but as the next update show nothing they can do at the moment, the government is busy ;)

Arntf said:
This is looking good, Lord E, keep it up! :)
kenneththegreat said:
I second that
Thank you, both of you :D

yourworstnightm said:
Keep it up!
Thanks, I will. New update coming up…

kenneththegreat said:
I thought you said (in the Finnish AAR nearby) that you hated Norway...
No, no I can’t believe that. How can one hate Norwegians;)

yourworstnightm said:
I said norwegians are silly, never said I hated anyone.
Hehe, well I guess I should try to show in the AAR that they aren’t silly then ;)

Parliamentary election of 1937, part I

The lessons learned by the winter exercise, Operation Snow, made the general staff decide that more resources needed to be used to get all army units up to a level where they had all received the latest armament, supplies and training. Also the lobbying towards the government to invest in an air force grew, but most of the work of the military didn’t do any good in 1937, the politicians was to busy to care about the army just now. Winning the election was seen as more important and the general staff didn’t get any of it plans through, except from a promise from the Prime Minister that if re-elected the government should look into the plans for purchasing a new air force.

The Labour government of Johan Nygaardsvold had been in government since 1935. Already since the election of 33 Labour had the majority of members in the Storting (the Parliament), but it wasn’t until what is called “Kriseforliket” the crisis compromise with “Bondepartiet” the Agrarian Party in 35 that Labour and Nygaardsvold entered government. Now with the next election coming up in 37 Labour wanted to grow even stronger in the Storting.

dnasl2.jpg

One of Labour’s (Arbeiderpartiet) election campaign posters from the camping.

The Labour party had camping in 33 on the matters of getting the people in work, and they would continue this in the 37 campaign. The Norwegian public liked what the party had done already, and it seemed very clear that it was the will of the people that more people should get work; therefore it was a government confident on winning the election that started their campaign on the Labour Party Congress (Arbeiderpartiets landsmøte) in the spring of 37.

Of the other parties it seemed clear that the Conservative Party (Høyre) and Liberal left (Venstre) would be the main opponents of the Labour Party in the election. But the Norwegian Parliamentary system consisted of many more parties from the party of Vidkun Quisling, Nasjonal Samling to Norges kommunistiske parti all wanting to get into the Storting.

nygaardsvoldjohan6ab.jpg

Johan Nygaardsvold, the Labour Prime Minister who campaigned for re-election.

mowinckel8dz.jpg

Johan Ludwig Mowinckel, Prime Minister candidate for Liberal Left (Venstre). He served as Prime Minister three times: 25. juli 1924–5. mars 1926, 15. feb. 1928–12. mai 1931, 3. mars 1933–20. mars 1935

adamys1.jpg

Adam Egede-Nissen, leader and Prime Minister candidate for the Communist Party.

norwayquislingpa8.jpg

Vidkun Quisling, leader and Prime Minister candidate for Nasjonal Samling. Not many people believed that Nasjonal Samling had any real chance in the election after internal problems and conflict in the party in 1936

As the summer of 1937 draw to a close the tension was great as the Norwegians prepared for election day.

Last edited:
Arntf said:
Nope, definitely not silly. Dangerous people! Grrrrr....
He he indeed. And I really hope they shall be feared on the battlefields of Europe in the years to come :)

yourworstnightm said:
Will this be a historical election, or will someone tatally unexpected (like Quisling) win?
Nah, the election event hasn’t even got Quisling as an option, so if he was to win some editing would be needed. So it will be pretty much historically, and besides at this time in life NS is to weak and in an internal struggle, so they wouldn’t really have a chance of getting enough votes to win anyway ;)

Parliamentary election of 1937, part II

During the late summer and early autumn of 37 it became more and more clear that the politicians were ready for the election. In the NRK (Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation) the leaders of the major parties got invited to radio debates, and all around Norway meeting and rallies was held to get the voters to vote for the “correct” party.

Still the election campaign was really a race for who would become the largest opposition party since the election was really a question of the Labour party increasing its number of seats in the Storting.

valgurne1zi.gif

The Election Day was the 15th of August 1937. All around Norway people went to their local polling stations to vote. In schools, town halls and community houses all over Norway people vote and as the 15th turned into the 16th what had seemed clear also prior to the election was confirmed. The Labour Party had won the most seats in the Storting. By winning 70 out of the total of 150 seats the labour Party had got their support from the people, and it was clear that Labour was way ahead of the Conservative Party ending as the largest party of the opposition with 36 seats in the Storting. Both the Communist Party and the Nasjonal Samling received too few votes to get any seats in the Storting, and it seemed like the Norwegian people had voted for the secure options, and voted against both the rightwing and the leftwing parties. Norway entered an other term of Labour rule.

norstorting2hi.jpg

The Norwegian Parliament, the Storting

Members of the Storting after the 1937 election:​

Members of Storting​

Arbeiderpartiet
(Labour Party)
70​

Høyre
(Conservative Party)
36​

Norges kommunistiske parti
(Norwegian Communist Party)
0​

Bondepartiet
(Agrarian Party)
18​

Venstre
(Liberal left)
23​

Kristelig Folkeparti
(Christian People’s party)
2​

Frisinnede Folkeparti
(Freethinking People's Party)
1​

Nasjonal Samling
(National Unity)
0​

In total
150​

nygaardsvoldjohan6ab.jpg

Johan Nygaardsvold, the Labour Prime Minister now entered his second term as Norwegian PM

As the interest and tension of the election passed away Prime Minister Johan Nygaardsvold prepared to begin his second term as Prime Minister leading Norway in the years to come, and securing the Norwegian neutrality and sovereignty in the world.

Last edited:
kenneththegreat said:
Little typo: You wrote Arbeiderparitet instead of Arbeiderpartiet :D
Oops I didn’t see that. Thanks for pointing it out, it should be fixed now :D

I wonder what Arbeiderparitet might mean though... hmm, Arbeider = Worker, Paritet = Parity...

hmm...

Worker Parity

hmm...

hmm...

An even numbers of workers?

Oh anyway, smashing update as always Lord E. Keep it spinning, 'cause I'm looking forward to the further developments :)

Arntf said:
I wonder what Arbeiderparitet might mean though... hmm, Arbeider = Worker, Paritet = Parity...

hmm...

Worker Parity

hmm...

hmm...

An even numbers of workers?

Oh anyway, smashing update as always Lord E. Keep it spinning, 'cause I'm looking forward to the further developments :)
He he well who knows… guess it is a little hard to make any sense of something that is a typo ;) But you sure got an interesting theory :p :D

Thanks and an update is coming up next :)

The aftermath of the election, autumn 1937

As the counting ended it was clear the Labour had won the election, and the government of Johan Nygaardsvold would stay in office leading Norway in the years to come. The normal Norwegians went back to their normal day to day life certain that they had voted for the correct opinion, and that Labour would continue the great work they had done in the past period.

As the first meeting after the election between the government and the General Staff was about to start it was two new faces in the room. The first of them was the new armaments minister, Adolf Indrebø and the second was a new military man. Hjalmar Riiser-Larsen had become Chief of Air Force when the last Chief of Air Force, Jacob von der Lippe, had passed away just two weeks after the election. The last wish of the past Chief was that the General Staff should continue pressing the government to build a more modern air force, it was in the words of von der Lippe Norway’s only way to secure its safety in a modern combat situation.
Because of this Riiser-Larsen’s first act as Chief of Air Force had been to call the PM and address him about the need for a new air force.

election375qu.png

The new government and General Staff after the election and passing away of von der Lippe

As the meeting was about the start the Chiefs stood in one corner of the room agreeing on a common strategy, nodding and smiling. Nygaardsvold brought them all to the table with a cough.

-Now first let us all express our thanks to Jacob von der Lippe for his great service for Norway, and remind him with a minute’s silence.

*Silence*

-Now… I understand the general staff have read up on last winter’s exercise, and that the exercise proved to be an even greater shocked than expected.

-Yes, Mr. Prime Minister. It seems very clear that the Norwegian Army as of today wouldn’t really stand much of a chance against a modern fighting force, and mostly so because of the lack of air power and air defence.

Therefore it is the will of the entire General Staff that the most pressing issue in the military budget for next year would be the purchase of a squadron of fighter planes.

-So Adolf this is your department I presume?

-Yes, Mr. Prime Minister. From my opinion the General Staff seem to be correct. I have read through all the material I have been given by the Chiefs and it would seem like all the reports from the war in Spain concluded that a modern army is really in for a hard time if it lacks air power. It would also seem like a good idea to strengthen some of the army units with certain anti aircraft guns to secure the army will be able to fighting against incoming aircrafts.
But as for now I would say we should accept the offer we have been given for the construction of the air crafts from the Americans. The Curtiss Hawk seems our best purchase just now…

-Sir, if I might say so this is indeed the opinion of the air force as well. Although I have not been Chief of Air Force for many weeks I have already understood from the men that they think the Curtiss is the best we could get at the moment…

-So might I presume the General Staff all agree win this?

-That is correct Mr. Prime Minister. The General Staff feels it is important to get an air force, and we think the Curtiss would be the best aircraft we can purchase now, and the deal from the Americans seems very good.

-So might I presume we can agree on this? The government is also going to push forward for the Storting that we purchase a squadron of Curtiss Hawk P-75 A aircraft from the Americans.

-Yes, Mr. Prime Minister.

The purchase went easy through the Storting, and a deal was struck with the Americans for the production of the new fighters for the Norwegian Air force.

fly6ay.png

The purchase of the Curtiss fighters was decided as soon as the Storting was opened in the autumn of 37, and the hope was that the first aircrafts would arrive in Norway during the summer of 38

Also on the meeting it was decided that upon the compliment of the deliverance of new aircrafts the training and upgrading of the army should continue, and it was the will of the General Staff that the Army should be strengthen with an other division, but no decision was made on this subject. Still the Chiefs was in a good mood when they left the meeting, they had got their plan through. Norway was to get a working and modern air force.

Last edited:
Yay, new fighters!! :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember that a purchase of new fighters (the Curtiss P-75) was on the cards IRL, but the plans were put on hold for too long...

Airplanes, that might help a lot! But do not buy submarines, everyone know submarines do no good in the hands of the norwegians, too easy to sink, you only need to knock on the door...

yourworstnightm said:
Airplanes, that might help a lot! But do not buy submarines, everyone know submarines do no good in the hands of the norwegians, too easy to sink, you only need to knock on the door...

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Todays Norwegian submarines are so silent you won't even know where the submarine is

PS. We invented that joke for use against the Swedes

Yea! Fighters! Well, Curtiss P-75s, but still, better than nothing, eh?

For the time being, I really think the Norwegian army needs to be strengthened, and not because of any issues with the submarines ( :D ), but 'cause it'll be easier to build up the army & air force over the navy. But, we'll see what we see, right.

kenneththegreat said:
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Todays Norwegian submarines are so silent you won't even know where the submarine is

PS. We invented that joke for use against the Swedes

Yeah, I know, it's the same with the swedes, you both really share a common submarine problem! :D

Cant wait for next update! Keep it up!

Btw, you know how to sink the same submarine again?
Knock on the door, then they will open and say: "We wont fall for that trick again!"